Oregon to Maine roadtrip- ideas and timing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Joshua, let me know if you're going through Portland.
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
+90 on spending a couple of days in the Bend area. Cool country. Hope the van works out!
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Currently on motorcycle ride that was to go from Montana, (home) up to Banff through Glacier ... 4"-6" of snow has derailed most all trip and currently winding through Idaho to to Jackson. Dodging snow most of the way (almost dodging), so be prepared. (Closed Glacier Park and East entrance to Yellowstone likely for rest of year.)

That being said if you happen through Billings we have studio and shop your welcome too and hope you at least swing by and say hi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3631978913.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	102736
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Chad_Hilton
Chad Hilton
1984 110

Do a Transmission service / flush. I have a 2002 weekender with 150k mikes on it that runs like new. Never felt the need to do a trans oil cooler but change it religiously at 40k. I've driven mine all over the Sierras, Rockies and up and down the coast. Plenty of power. Have fun.
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
http://wetwesties.org/

If you pass through La Grande, give me a shout!
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Streaky
Alden
1994/D90 NAS

You are REALLY close to Crater Lake, OR and I'd recommend driving around the rim, or spending a day at the park. Easiest path might be from the north entrance to the south entrance, weather permitting.

We just got back from a 2900 mile trip (from Portland & back). Another favorite was Bryce Canyon.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:45 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
In all seriousness, check out the dry lake bed near Steens Mountain OR. It could make for an awesome overnight. A week is not much time for an older VW, if you plan on any sightseeing along the way.

x2 on the Alvord Desert dry lake bed. Camped out there earlier this year, very cool. And there are natural hot springs in the vicinity as well.
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
I thought I would update this tread. I think Im going to pull the trigger on things early next week, taking my wife and I out to Bend the following week. Night 1 in Portland, drive to Bend. Get van. See Bend, and stay there night 2. Yellowstone for 2 nights, see mt rushmore and night 5 in Badlands National Park. Night 6 in Chicago, night 7 in Buffalo.

I have some fudge room, as we may want 2 nights in Badlands and HERE IS WHERE I NEED SOME ADVICE.

Between Badland and Chicago- is there anything worth seeing/places to aim for? Its a LONG stretch to Chicago from Badlands, and a 1/2 way point type of thing would be huge. Sioux falls? Just looking on googlemaps and dont see much LOL.

Many thanks!
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
If open when you come through, exit out of north east corner of park, Lamar Valley and take to Red Lodge. Guarantee no better views, better than park has to offer. (Only if brakes are in good order of course.)
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Between Badland and Chicago- is there anything worth seeing/places to aim for? Its a LONG stretch to Chicago from Badlands, and a 1/2 way point type of thing would be huge. Sioux falls? Just looking on googlemaps and dont see much LOL.
Devil's Tower, Custer NP, and for sure generate the whide open of the plains. It's only boaring to the fast, exploiting, enthusiast, accellerating, challeging , also called New Yorkers!

Every other stopps breathing, while calming this roaring silence.

Flat country needs a very special look. I never missed mine.
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Sioux falls? Just looking on googlemaps and dont see much LOL.

Many thanks!
sioux falls has...well...the eponymous sioux falls which is cute but probably not what you are looking for.

the order goes sioux falls then western minnesota which is barren, then the twin cities which are worth seeing once, maybe mall of america, then it's nothing again until madison/wisconsin dells. the dells has a bunch of amusement parks. devil's lake is good for camping, great bouldering routes, but nothing compared to the west coast. then onto milwaukee which is unimpessive. green bay might be worth it but besides the solitude and fall colors there is nothing there but nature.

maybe dmslonglake or the other minney folks can tell you more about what to see. i lived there for four years, don't miss it much, although there is a yearly ice climbing festival in a quarry which is really cool.

as an addendum, cutting through iowa and western illinois much more boring than the mn wi route.
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:03 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Don't miss the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. Corn Palaces are pretty rare, and you'll be driving right by it, so definitely stop for that.
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:29 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Don't miss the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. Corn Palaces are pretty rare, and you'll be driving right by it, so definitely stop for that.
You fuckin with me soldier?!

------ Follow up post added September 30th, 2014 10:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Portland to Bend there are several options. Depends on your time and what you want to see along the way. I84-hwy97 is a nice way to see the Columbia River Gorge/Multnomah falls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_Falls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Point_(Oregon) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Gorge Hwy 26 over Mt Hood, you can stop by Timberlne Lodge (The Shining was filmed there) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timberline_Lodge If you are up for a day hike that I5-Hwy 22 to Silver Falls state park with some (10) amazing waterfalls, many that you can walk behind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Falls_State_Park -Jeff
Thx Jeff. I'm thinking in going to be rushed to get to Bend and dump the wife and rental car and pick up the van. Have our night in bend and get up early for the 8 hour trip to Jackson hole!
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:54 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
I thought I would update this tread. I think Im going to pull the trigger on things early next week, taking my wife and I out to Bend the following week. Night 1 in Portland, drive to Bend. Get van. See Bend, and stay there night 2. Yellowstone for 2 nights, see mt rushmore and night 5 in Badlands National Park. Night 6 in Chicago, night 7 in Buffalo.

I have some fudge room, as we may want 2 nights in Badlands and HERE IS WHERE I NEED SOME ADVICE.

Many thanks!

If you need any help in Chicago let me know, or a free driveway to camp in lol

------ Follow up post added September 30th, 2014 09:56 PM ------

Quote:
You fuckin with me soldier?!
Run away he's setting you up to be corn holed.

Just kidding I honestly have no idea if that exists.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:43 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
If you need any help in Chicago let me know, or a free driveway to camp in lol

------ Follow up post added September 30th, 2014 09:56 PM ------

Run away he's setting you up to be corn holed.

Just kidding I honestly have no idea if that exists.
No sir, Google it. It's real and it's awesome.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:58 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
No sir, Google it. It's real and it's awesome.
Just had a friend visit the Corn Palace as part of a work trip for GMO crops. She loved it. It's amazing how much work they put into that place.

Sounds cheezy but it's supposed to be really cool. Better than the MARS Cheese Castle in Kenosha
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:04 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
There's also the Spam museum in Austin MN. Museums dedicated to canned pork products are very rare and you'll be driving right by it, so definitely stop there too!

This is going to be an awesome trip.......
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:09 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
There's also the Spam museum in Austin MN. Museums dedicated to canned pork products are very rare and you'll be driving right by it, so definitely stop there too!

This is going to be an awesome trip.......
What the hell! if you stop get me a tee shirt!
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:

Many thanks!
You mean besides the corn / beans / pigs...nope, nothing to see.

If you had loads of time and wanted to nose around, there's a reasonable bit of the Lewis & Clark Trail in the neighborhood.

KAA ... Here at the 1-80 / I-35 exchange.
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:00 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

I've done the drive between Maryland and Cody, Wy many times. Once you pass the Badlands there's not a whole lot between there and Chicago. I have stopped a the SPAM museum though, that was fun for and hour or so. If you or the wife were into "Little House on the Prairie" you will be passing the birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder or whatever her name was. Badlands to Chicago is a full days drive depending on how many times you stop. Beware of the wind, it can get pretty mean in eastern Wyoming and one towards Chicago.

If you get down to Cody, WY the Buffalo Bill museum is worth the time with an outstanding firearms section that puts the Smithsonian to shame. Check for gate closures into and out of Yellowstone, not sure when they close the east entrance for the winter, you may have to come out the northeast entrance and through Red Lodge, Montana as already suggested. It's a fun place to bump around for a few hours. Nearby is Beartooth pass which is also a fun stop.

If you go through Billings, there used to be a rover shop out there with a bunch of series vehicles. Cant remember the name.

As you head through eastern Wyoming look to the left near Sheridan, you will see the largest Coal strip mining operation I've ever seen in person, it's HUGE.

Between eastern Wy and western SD, you will pass Devils Tower, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands all packed in fairly close.

Have fun!

Forgot to mention you will pass a few Cabela's stores on the way. And, don't forget your cheese curds in Wisconsin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip