Ordering from UK vendor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Ernie Novey
1995 D1 and 1991 RRC SWB
Ordering from UK vendor

After trying a search, I didn't find what I was looking for. So here goes my question. Could someone provide me with some feedback on their experiences with ordering parts from the UK suppliers? I am thinking of placing an order for some items that are not very large from PADDOCK Spares in the UK. I was wondering what the lead times were on parts ordered versus when they arrive. If anyone from the east coast could provide some info, that would be great.

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style
I am interested in this as well, but shipping larger items like body parts such as hard top roof panels.

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
83 110
Biggest thing I had shipped was a Stainless Grill, shipping was expensive, but not crazy, and it took a couple of weeks. REturns would be a pain in the butt though.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4
Good morning-

I've ordered from Paddock Spares twice, with two different experiences. The first time (about two years ago), the customer service email responses for a small order (swivel ball and emblems, etc) were great, and shipping was super fast.

The next time (about six months ago), the email responses and assistance were abysmal, and just getting the woman I had contact with to get moving on my order was like visiting the DMV.

I ordered two new front doors, a swing-away tire carrier, and a couple of other smaller items. Shipping was a backbreaker with current exchange rates (about the same cost as all the parts ordered), and this was also before the big rate increases for fuel. Total costs were still less than sourcing the doors and spare carrier from people who had them here in the US, though. I expect shipping charges are much worse now. A few weeks ago I did check wth another UK seller for a 130GBP matt black fender flare set, and the shipping quote was nearly 200GBP! (Yes, around $400 for shipping four plastic fenders alone .) *I ended up just prepping and painting my flares with a special matt black plastic paint. We'll see how that holds up.*

One other item of note was the front doors I received. The boxes were packed well and obviously opened and reinforced before shipment by Paddock. Both boxes showed no signs of external damage when they arrived. The doors inside, however, both showed signs of damage and having been dropped on corners and required significant repair before they could be painted. Was I shipped damaged doors because returning them from the US would be too much trouble? Who knows.

Conversely, I drove down to Orlando early in the year and bought a rear door and some other items from Stephen (Safari Rover), and they were all in good shape for a good deal. The key is probably getting a bunch of stuff together via ship freight pallet from someone you can trust overseas. My only experience with UK sellers hs been Paddick thjose two times and some sheister on Ebay who sells and then doesn't deliver emblems and acessories.

I should have my truck back from the painter this afternoon, and will post photos once it's reassembled. Hopefully the pictures won't end up in the "hall of shame/POS Rovers that suck" thread.

Chris Murphy
'89 D130SW
'16 LR4

'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
I order from Paddocks regularly. I had a yelling match with them earlier this week as to where an order I placed the 26th of July to be delivered within the UK was (it was holding up a large crate of stuff I have shipping over). Turned out not to be their fault. Fedex Uk was sitting on the package however Paddocks website did not show the order as dispatched and they had to call fedex to find out there was a problem. They are the cheapest and have the most user friendly website (like the way you can click on US Dollar and know exactly what it's going to cost). I have bought wingtop protectors, mirrors, clutch, water pumps, etc from them. I once tried to order an 8mm Alum steering protector/ bash plate from them and they hit my credit card and never shipped anything .Six weeks later they advised they were out of stock on the item. If you order from them I suggest you do it by phone and get them to make sure everything is in stock and tell you what shipping will be- they use Fedex. I beleive this is where RN gets a lot of their stock. Paddocks has 10 phone lines and I have trouble getting through to an open line- high volume place.

Craddocks on the other hand- my brother Cabell ordered a 110 fuel tank for his 83 and had it in his hands in 4 days for much less than he could buy it from anyone in the states.

As with all things shipped from the UK( including Ro/Ro vehicles) you take 100% of the risk on damage and returns just don't happen.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Ernie Novey
1995 D1 and 1991 RRC SWB
This is exactly what I was looking for. I am thinking about ordering some swivel balls and the other associated components, as the US vendors are either out of stock or want a lot more money.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II
UK Suppliers

I regularly order from several UK suppliers including Paddock. I tend to order smaller things and have received some orders in less time than US shops. I have been very pleased with service and the savings on some parts can be dramatic.

I have not yet ordered anything large or fragile yet. If things can be shipped Royal post, it's very reasonable. When they have to use a private shipper, the cost goes way up.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Over here (in the UK), paddocks have a reputation for either being really good, or a total POS.

As to what you get depends on what day/weather/who answers the phone/what kind of night they had the previous evening.

Bearmach are good (although the dealer in my home town, Swindon, are in the middle of getting a new manager, so the shop is shut at the present moment)

Britcar get my vote, as they're pretty reliable. don't know about overseas postage though, i've never had the joy of experiencing this.

If anyone needs any personal help, PM me, and i can contact "whoever" you need, obviously within UK time zones etc. it might make life a little easier.

of course, i could just mess things up even further! LOL!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat