Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Options to fixing sun roof leak

On my 95 NAS D90 with standard tinted sunroof, I guess it's not glass as it seems to have warped ever so slightly upwards in the middle so it doesn't seal. The only time it leaks is when there is water on the roof and I brake heavily; then the water enters and drips down onto the center storage lid. It's also very difficult to close the roof when I open back to its closed position so I basically don't use it.

I know I could have the parts replaced, but I'm not a sunroof person in general and don't want to have this happen again. Are there other options such as a fixed glass or metal part that would replace this movable roof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I hate my sun roof too !! Worthless piece of noise, skin burning, crap!!
But there are a couple of things that can be done.
Remove the glass, yes it does come out easily.
Clean the outside rubber where it contacts the glass & put on a light coat of something like Armor-All to help the rubber be more flexible.

You can gain more compression from the closer device by using 2 hands. Press on the rear of the device with your right palm while pulling down & turning the device with your fingers on the front of it with your left hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:56 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Mine was leaking for years and I was just about fed up with it and ready to replace the entire sunroof assembly. Before I did that I ordered STC2890 and tried that and it solved it. I think my previous part had warped from the sun hitting for years and it wouldn't close tight enough so it leaked. Once I replaced that I could tighten it down all the way and problem solved. I kicked myself for not doing it years earlier.

Product Details - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Viton and Eric. I'll try both ways and never open the sun roof again.
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:24 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I use mine all the time. I tried to just replace the rubber seal that goes against the glass but Rovers North told me that is not available on its own. I guess that only comes with the whole sunroof assembly. I almost bought it I was so frustrated. I was amazed at how much tighter I could close the sunroof with the new dial. Hopefully that is all yours needs.

Another idea is to take apart your current dial assembly, clean and grease it, then put some extra washers in between the glass and where it attaches to the dial assembly. This should let you close it a little tighter.
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:11 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
I hate my sun roof too !! Worthless piece of noise, skin burning, crap!! But there are a couple of things that can be done. Remove the glass, yes it does come out easily. Clean the outside rubber where it contacts the glass & put on a light coat of something like Armor-All to help the rubber be more flexible. You can gain more compression from the closer device by using 2 hands. Press on the rear of the device with your right palm while pulling down & turning the device with your fingers on the front of it with your left hand.
x2 I used mine for years but over time the seal has started to fail so I removed the glass cleaned it with wd40, let it dry and then sprayed down with silicone and replaced the glass. No more leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:49 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
When I picked up my 89 110, the sunroof leaked like crazy. Pulled everything out Ann cleaned the muck out, wiped down and found the rubber gasket was dry rotted ... Had shrunk, so I cut it in the back, caulked it with marine grade silicone and shut it for a year and a half with no leaks until my son asked me to fix it. LOL. Finally got around to putting in the new gasket. If you don't use it just seal it shut with marine grade silicone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
roof