opinions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
shane cates
94 d90

Don't want to make the purists mad, but I purchased the Defender to make it functional and my own. I am planning a project this fall when open top driving ends here.

Currently it is a 94 with air. Arles blue 88k. It has a winch bumber I fabricated out of the factory bumper with brush guards reinforced with 1/4 steel to the frame. It looks very factory but is functional and strong. It has rock sliders that I made that look really nice and hang out about an 1" and a half to double as a foot hold. I built new rear speaker boxes that resemble factory but are very strong. I made diamond plate inner door panels that have been powdercoated black to replace the crappy plastic ones. It has a 3" rovertym full kit and black steel wheels with 35-12.50s. GBR doubles front and rear.

My plan was to strip everything inside and out and send it to the paint shop for some new blue. I am going to refinish each and every piece with new stainless hardware for reassembly. I plan on having bed liner spray on the complete interior all the way over the tops of the door rails. I plan on fabricating a new dash out of aluminum but making sure everything is functional and working in its original place including the air. Black diamond plate front fender tops and hood center.

I plan on making a new piece that is above the windshield interior to get rid of the sagging plastic one. Gears, ARBs, axles, etc. Everything underneath was blasted this past year and sanded and painted and undercoated. You can eat off the frame and there is zero rust anywhere. No leaks at all because I went through everything including doing a new clutch recently.

A new top would complete it for this year.

Some have tried to entice me to go for the dark grey color but I really like the Arles blue.

Anything you would do different or would add? Likes and dislikes?

I love little baby ducks, old pick-up trucks, slow-moving trains, and rain
I love little country streams, sleep without dreams, sunday school in may,
And hay
And I love you too
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Re-Fendered 90
Don't waste your money on regearing the factory rover stuff, go toy conversion. Other than that, the reast it pretty standard rover fare.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks www.rovertracks.com
PSC www.racesteering.com
DJ Safety www.djsafety.com
West Coast Rovers www.westcoastrovers.com
Reel Driveline www.reeldriveline.com

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Trae Reuwer
94 D90
Definitely do the bed lining. I wouldn't do the diamond plate on the hood unless you're completely sold on it. IMO the hood is worthless, you *shouldn't* stand there anyways. The wings are useful for cleaning the windshield when your brick kills all the bugs in a commute and you can't see through the haze you made of the guts trying to use the wipers. At least that's how I justify mine.

There's no need to fab a dash out of aluminum, unless you really want it. But if you do I would suggest either paint or powder coat that beast a matte black- when topless the glare from bare aluminum will not make you happy. But IronGoat and MudUK make some excellent products for spicing up the dash.

You're missing an engine swap. I mean, you might as well...

In the end though, just waste your money the way you want - forget the purists and the hardcorists if that's not your style. You worked hard for it, and you'll never get it back when(if) you sell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat