Opinion of value re: 97 LE - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson
None

Opinion of value re: 97 LE

Low mileage LE for sale on Autotrader. I'm giving this one a serious look but do not know the market for this particular model. Do the LE's really command the high asking prices I am seeing ? I'm aware of the limited production of this model but the price difference between an LE and a comparable regular 97 wagon seems a bit much. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I don't know about now...but when I bought mine in '00 there wasn't really much difference between my LE and other '97 wagons. It's really not that special...so I personally wouldn't pay a bunch more. The Safety Devices roof rack is rather expensive...if a few thousand more than a similar standard wagon with the same miles might be worth it just for that if the other doesn't have it (and you care - I sold the one off of mine).

If you plan to modify it I wouldn't go that route as any premium you pay will for sure disappear once you make changes.

Also I bought a super low mileage (12,000) for an extremely high premium when I got mine and I wouldn't do that again either. I'd look for a very well maintained truck with more miles and a lower price. Once you get a few miles on it that premium is gone.

Of course if you plan to buy it...stick in the garage...never drive it...and wipe it every day with a diaper then by all means...buy #300 from Stewart and enjoy it.

Good luck with whatever you decide...mine was my favorite Rover I've owned before or since.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
How many miles, condition, is it moded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

They are rare and the willow green color is one of my favorites... I would pay a few thousand more for it, but not more than $3-$5K...

Maintenance and rust are the most important issues to look at. There are seveal guys in the Chicago area that have 90's ask on of them to look at it with you. My ST had very low miles, but I still needed to put a good bit of money in it. And my SW has just under 101K and I have put about 2K in it in the past few months. The trucks are awesome and draw a lot of attention, and they keep their value... So, you will get most of your money back out of them, unlike almost every car, so keep that in mind when your family wonders why you would pay so much for a 10 year old truck.

Old September 19th, 2007, 12:16 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

I have NO. 172/300 and really got it because I love the willow green. The rest of the accessories are ok, but buy it for the color.
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

The flippers and others on Autotrader put ridiculous prices on the LE's. I think someone on posted one on the board a couple of weeks ago for something like 55K. In reality... I don't think they deserve much of a premium at all. In the past six months I've seen some decent LE's on Ebay sell in the 28-30k range-- and a few others bid up to that amount and not hit their reserve.

Expect a small premium-- but like any other Defender you can find a nice one for a reasonable price if you're patient.

As a side note... I saw a D-90 ST go for 20k on Ebay a couple of days ago. Its already up somewhere else for 28k. The same thing happens with LE's, just from 28 to 38k. I'd prefer to be the guy that gets it on the low end.
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97D90
I have NO. 172/300 and really got it because I love the willow green. The rest of the accessories are ok, but buy it for the color.
Agree, willow green is the best color, IMO. I would also agree at a $3-5k primium for the LE.

Make sure you are comparing "apples and apples" though. The Safety Devices rack which comes on the LE is worth around $2k, for example.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson
None

Thanks for all of your opinions and the good information provided. Best regards.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
run a carfax!!!!!!!!
or look at the link provided in the ad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags