Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:11 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I did offer to ship for FREE. and pay the CBP tab , transport from the port and get NC title also all for FREE.. BUT this saga is like watching the SINKING of the TITANTIC.. and folks on deck hanging out in the ball room listening to the Jazz band.. and saying everything is ALL right.. nothing going to happen to this ship.. someone is going the jail cell soon.. .. bc
Is this a way of retracting the earlier comment. Is it possible you didn't actually think anyone would take you up on the offer, let alone remember it?
I don't even know you but my Psychology and sociology tells me something is inherently wrong.
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:01 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

That is one hell of an offer!

Seems like a nice entry price and with all of the items people have that could be used to upgrade it could end up being a real nice rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
If this community is going to buy a car, I would like to help and offer one of mine. Not totally for free, hope everybody understand that, but let's say with a 50% discount on my list price.

listing :

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4867

It is located in Europe, but didn't somebody offer to pay for transport ?
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:14 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
If this community is going to buy a car, I would like to help and offer one of mine. Not totally for free, hope everybody understand that, but let's say with a 50% discount on my list price.

listing :

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4867

It is located in Europe, but didn't somebody offer to pay for transport ?
Quite generous
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:25 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

the offer still stands.. for some reason.. you dont think I will do this. for FREE. just to prove the whinnie little bitches like wolfmeow WRONG.. later bc
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:25 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
the offer still stands.. for some reason.. you dont think I will do this. for FREE. just to prove the whinnie little bitches like wolfmeow WRONG.. later bc
I am at a loss Bill, you offer a genuinely heartfelt and noble service to Kent (I think everyone here would agree that it is far and above what most forum members could offer to provide) and then you sully the whole thing with some caveat that makes you look like you're doing it for spite.
Your offer, while admirable, is looking less and less like charity and more and more like an excuse to have something to hold over this community at large.
Put it this way, people are weary of taking you up on your offer because of the WAY YOU SPEAK TO PEOPLE. This is coming from someone who can be a huge prick (documented, check out my loose moments) when rubbed the wrong way.
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Bill Cox - I just sent you a PM concerning this. I have also spoken with Johan and some other people to try and get this done.

Lets see if we can come together and get this done.
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes I did speak with Chris yesterday about the D110's he has available that could be purchased for Kent. Really does seem like a great guy as Jonesy noted. He is in UK now as he and his wife are having a baby at present, but he took some time to talk to me about what he has available.
The LHD truck sold just a few days ago that I pictured here and is not available. The RHD "special" forces recon unit is still in UK and will not be available until late June at best. He does have a D110 at his shop currently that could be available for sale in the near future and is going to send me pictures soon. I will post them soon.

The D110 that Johan pictured seems like a good candidate. Have done business with Johan over the years and if Kent likes the D110 seems like a good way to go as well.

As far as shipping and titling services it seems to me that whoever steps up to get this done is fine by me. This is about Kent not a popularity contest.

Jackie said "I wouldn't trust werewolf to mail an envelope. That's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. " Jackie if you would rather hire someone else to do this like Doug Crowther and pay his fees or organize an effort to pay his fees that seems reasonable if you do not trust Bill Cox to do the job. But if it is just a reason to sour the rest of the efforts being made here that does not seem very helpful.

Lets quit bickering and just see a way to get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
hey Jim - just spoke with Chris, 10mins after you - I will back down

------ Follow up post added April 24th, 2014 02:07 PM ------

No rust bucket with that one...after chatting with Chris it seems to be in awesome shape. Jim(Pendy) will be sending/posting pictures of it shortly I am sure.

Importer (Chris) seems like a nice bloke, for a pom - and had real good things to say about it.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:49 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

jonesy.. aka craig.. good chating with you.. today ok lets find KENT a land rover.. I recommend www.gumtree.com .... www.autotrader.co.uk or www.carandclassic.co.uk as much easier to ship out the UK to me in charleston sc..and I can get the UK V5c in MY dealer name there in the UK and then I can pick up and do the Customs entry and get kent a NC title in my dealer name.. sent you my contact info here in the UK.. lets make this work for KENT.. later bc ps.jackie.why would you PAY uncle dougie..to import when I am willing to do TOTALLY for FREE?/or you stoned or just plain STUPID?/ do NOT see ANYONE here offering a DIME of CASH toward getting kent another Land rover.. BUT craig and I.. do you??
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Jackie said "I wouldn't trust werewolf to mail an envelope. That's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. " Jackie if you would rather hire someone else to do this like Doug Crowther and pay his fees or organize an effort to pay his fees that seems reasonable if you do not trust Bill Cox to do the job. But if it is just a reason to sour the rest of the efforts being made here that does not seem very helpful.

Lets quit bickering and just see a way to get this done.
I totally get that. No bickering. I am stunned at the generousity of my fellow board members and would help out with parts (if I had any) or time gladly.

If werewolf is genuine and trustworthy and that results in Kent getting a replacement truck, then that is indeed a generous offer. I'm a little cynical and lack the trust/confidence in werewolf given his history & comments and would hate to see a community's efforts get wrapped around the axle so-to-speak because of somebody we really don't know all that well (especially if I'm contributing $$$ to a kickstarter fund).

Just remember this (as is generally true) the worst kind of legal advise is FREE legal advise. You get what you pay for.

However, since I'm not the one driving this bus and you as well as several others are doing a great job generating interest and offering services, parts etc, I need to respect that and let you guys lead the way. Let me know how we (the forum masses) can help.
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
ps.jackie.why would you PAY uncle dougie..to import when I am willing to do TOTALLY for FREE?/or you stoned or just plain STUPID?/ do NOT see ANYONE here offering a DIME of CASH toward getting kent another Land rover.. BUT craig and I.. do you??
That is exactly why he would pay Doug to import that car instead of you. Because your small minded insults and efforts to belittle people point to a small mind. Would you trust someone who called you stupid, stoned and cheap? Your involvement is my single hang up in committing to this entire project. And I really would like to help out.

No one has offered a 'dime of cash' because there is no avenue to do so or a goal that we have set. Save your 2 cents and keep it business so the rest of us can keep this thread on topic without having to address your attitude every other post.

Seriously, stop being so defensive and overtly insulting every time you post something.

In fact, let me re-write your post:
p.s. Jackie, why would you suggest paying Doug when I have offered to import this vehicle for free? I understand your hesitation in trusting a new board member but I am trying to offer an avenue with which to help make this project possible.

Its possible to say what you are trying to convey without taking a dig at someone in every response. It is the single reason the guys on this board don't like you as no one here can vouch for you as an individual
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:07 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I, for one, have no qualms about werewolfs participation in this effort. It's just the way it has been addressed. We had a station manager that was the same way. He would give you an award. Then in your moment of elation, he would shoot you down with a comment like, "Don't mess this up." instead of "Keep up the good work."
A good analogy is hugging and loving your dog, then kicking it.
It's the pessimisms that bite. So to speak.
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I did speak with Bill - and Johan is going to hold the truck in the Netherlands, and assist with POD paperwork and things there...

Bill Cox is apparently willing to ship it for free.

So - I am not good with managing money - obviously - given my predilection for buying shit all the time. Is their someone here on the board willing to start collecting $$ in a find for all the other parts of work we will do?
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:12 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I did speak with Bill - and Johan is going to hold the truck in the Netherlands, and assist with POD paperwork and things there...

Bill Cox is apparently willing to ship it for free.

So - I am not good with managing money - obviously - given my predilection for buying shit all the time. Is their someone here on the board willing to start collecting $$ in a find for all the other parts of work we will do?
Honestly, there is no one better than Kent himself to hold onto the cash until we have enough of it. No trust issues, no problems. We can 'gift' the money to Kent's paypal without fees and then when there is enough of it he can pay Bill or Johan or whomever.

That would be my suggestion
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Since my name is being bantied about;

Craig and I discussed all of this this morning before he posted here. I offered to do this for actual cost to me, which when we were talking this morning was Amsterdam to Baltimore to include export customs, de-registering the truck as required for export in NL, and a quick pressure wash before loading to avoid potential DoA issues here, security filings, entry and customs duty.
I even asked my shipping line clerk and customs broker for freebe's after explaining what I was trying to do. Hard cost is still a bit over $2k. I'm not in a position to eat those fee's like Werewolf has offered to do for free. I'm still dealing with my daughters medical bills. I suggested Craig take Bill Cox up on his offer. I see no reason not to go with Johan's truck, I doubt you can do better in the UK and shipping from Amsterdam is cheaper due to lower fuel tax. There is no reason to ship the truck to Bill or title it in NC. Virginia will title it for Kent in 20mins with the import docs in his name, the same amount of time and $ it will take to change the title from a NC title in Bills name. That and Baltimore is 45 mins away from Kent and a little further from Craig.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Interesting

Robert Deniro
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'd have started a funding account already but I think we're all doing a bit more research on the safest, easiest, and most economical ways of going about this. Ideally this would be set-up so that there would be no reservations as to where the money is going and its usage when it is set-up.

I like the idea that Azarur posted about incorporating a non-for-profit that would in essence collect and purchase, and then own the title to the truck, therefore when/if Kent's truck is ever returned we/it could potentially put it on ebay or elsewhere, see what we get for it, and potentially donate the proceeds to some different causes. The top causes would be covered through a voting poll on this site, and dispursed accordingly when/if that time comes. Some that come to mind would be a combination of Wounded Warriors-esque, perhaps an additional donation to Brad Harris's family, or to aid in the transportation of his truck back from ECR to California, etc.

For those unfamiliar with the donations for Brad Harris:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33935

Having the truck titled/owned through a non-for-profit likely also opens up other things such as auto insurance and other stuff though which I haven't even begun to think about yet.

It looks like GoFundMe collects a 5% fee, plus another 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction. That would mean that for every $100, 8.2% or $8.20 is going to their fees. With a rough goal of $7,000 that's $550-600 in fees. Anthony Brooks has dealt with PayPal as a charity account in the past, and I think theirs is 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction, but I don't see anything specifically for charity yet. Also, I think too many people have reservations using Paypal around here.

Let's keep the discussions constructive and ongoing, as I'm seeing quite a bit of progress here.
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

I am happy to have one of our law firms incorporate a non-profit and I'll pay all the incorporation costs. I believe this will facilitate donations (otherwise the gifts and donations towards the truck may be subject to tax, or Kent may be taxed if gifted directly to him). In terms of title, that's no issue at all. Insurance may be a bit of work, but not too much hassle.

I agree 100% with keeping this thread positive and insult-free. This is not about past history between individual members. Keep those to PMs or other threads.

My $0.02 on importing the truck, through the very limited experience I have had in this forum I have not found anyone more helpful, forthcoming, and respectful than Uncle Doug. If i had half a brain and a chance to do it all again I would have him import the truck for me. So on top of the parts that I've pledged and the incorporation of the non profit I'll be happy to contribute toward the shipping cost with Doug.
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Maybe its me but seemingly this doesn't need to be as complicated as some here are making it. If the goal is to raise $5k to purchase, ship, and import, a truck for Kent does there need to be a non-profit established etc. ?

Seriously if the goal is to do something nice for some one, do it, and trust him to make the truck available for sale or donation should his truck miraculously be returned to him @ some future date. Attaching strings by owning the truck as a non-profit seems inane to me. I'm sure that Kent would be willing to pay the sales tax on a $3000 defender- its just not that much money.
Importing in a business (even a non profits) name makes the import a commercial entry and add's considerably to cost of the entry as well as insurance cost etc-ie commercial entries are bonded, personal entries are not.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

psst.. I am shipping the car under MY US CUSTOMS bond.. there I am required by NC DMV law to title in MY dealer name.. you are NOT a lic dealer uncle doug.. and do NOT know anything about how to do this LEGALLY.. ever think this might be the whole PROBLEM with the first Land rover getting SEIZED>. I suggest you let michael bax inspect and also pay him. when LR is delvered to him. in NL and he see the NL title and every thing matches. and the LR runs and drives and is NOT a rust bucket.. later bc
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:18 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

You have no clue why the original truck was seized in the first place, so just drop it…

Keep the positive vibe rolling on this...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110