Old April 18th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
If you can disprove that the truck had anything to do with illegality ..can it still be held as evidence?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
My question would be "What does my truck have to with this case/investigation and show me how you came to that conclusion/decision." Analogy - a person near the scene but not involved. If you can disprove that the truck had anything to do with illegality ..can it still be held as evidence?
Imperfect analogy: people are screened/interviewed/etc, potential evidence is retained till the case is settled.
Moreover CBP has some of the widest jurisdiction of any of the federal agencies (other than postal inspectors), so what is valid as evidence is, unfortunately, very subjective.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:16 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Imperfect analogy: people are screened/interviewed/etc, potential evidence is retained till the case is settled.
Moreover CBP has some of the widest jurisdiction of any of the federal agencies (other than postal inspectors), so what is valid as evidence is, unfortunately, very subjective.
Yes.. I understand that. And wasn't going for perfection but what other foot hold however small would be appropriate at this point? Minimize the subjectivity of his truck being evidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yes.. I understand that. And wasn't going for perfection but what other foot hold however small would be appropriate at this point? Minimize the subjectivity of his truck being evidence.
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I doubt there is anything that can be done legally until the investigation is complete and a determination of how to proceed is made. Just like any other investigation, evidence is not released early, even if you can prove it's "legal."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:45 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

Being an importer for FORTY years now...I have had vehicles SEIZED.. in the past. both by feds and by NC DMV.. but did get them all back.. took months. btw... just curious ?? Is this case federal or NC state? The question that comes to my mind was kents truck in his name.??. Did it have NC or Vir title?/ IF NC.. he had to have lic /theft 270 vin inspection. ( NC DMV checks the number on the frame and with NCIB for stolen cars.when this 270 is filled out..
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Page after page of conjecture here. My understanding/recollection is this truck has a non- original engine under the hood. As you are all aware that is illegal on import. That said, who's to say when the swap happened since the truck was @ the shop for work/modifications.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:32 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Is there any public information posted online about the case against the shop whee the vehicle was seized ?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

ok. the skinny off NC DMV site.. you can replace engine. but has to be same year and size..otherwise you have to apply on MVR 55. custom build..to replace gas with diesel of different size.. it is violation of NC EPA .. otherwise and car can be SEIZED..˙.. just punch in.... Engines swaps in NC.. from google.com The exemption is that the vehicle is 35 years and older.. bc
Old April 20th, 2014, 02:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry for chiming in late - I have been on vacation.

Kent, I'm happy to help any way I can. Given the time this whole cluster F is likely to take, you really should consider taking us up on help doing a build with you. There are plenty of us local to give a hand physically as well as in other ways. At the very least try make HH more often and maybe borrow a truck every now and then for a fix.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:15 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well.KENT if someone donates a LR . I will pay the shipping IN Full > RORO and do the Customs entry.and transport from port of charleston for FREE.. no strings attached later b c ps. for the arm chair experts.. I have given away FREE classic minis at MME to be raffled off and money in full given to local animal shelter...
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:54 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

That is very generous to offer the cost of shipping. Kudos

Maybe one of those Tithonus D110 trucks would fit the bill for Kent. I would put up a couple hundred towards one. And many others have said they would do the same.

If the other truck is returned from the dog pound without the title maybe some of the better parts could be transfered to Kents replacement D110 later on.

Old April 20th, 2014, 10:52 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

No problem in NC getting NC title with NO previous paperwork now with MVR 92H.. title bond.. best place to look for kent a LR is www.gumtree.com or www.autotrader.co.uk I am sure you can find for 2000 quid or less.. for REAL pre 90.. or as it called there F reg for 1989.. later bc
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:54 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Think people have gotten carried away.
Stay focused on the red 110 recovery.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:02 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am here to help. I will donate my services if it goes the route of a Tithonus or some cash on the red 110.
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:39 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Think people have gotten carried away. Stay focused on the red 110 recovery.
X2 nothing is going to happen here until there is a definitive answer on this truck.

Once this is definitive it sounds like the community offers their full support
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:35 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

I really doubt that kent will ever get his land rover back.. this is plan b..this case is too high profile.. made national news.. even march 13 CAR AND DRIVER.. and Feds have 98 % conviction rate..my guess . someone is going to prison AND All the land rovers will be CRUSHED...later bc
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I can help too.

I might have a few parts left.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:20 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I agree it does not hurt to talk about a plan B. If we worked towards a Thithonus D110 and Kent was onboard with the idea, I would hope we could find one of the nice ones for him. Not the 2000 quid examples.

But if someone could take the responsibility of organizing the collection of funds for a legal representative for Kent to retrive his D110 that could get started right away. No one has seemed to step up yet. I feel like I am to far away distance wise and that could influence the effectiveness of any efforts made. Would be good to see someone in the area step in to help hire the right lawyer with some money we could all collect.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

pendy.. I agree about someone to hold and collect the funds..maybe a lawyer friend here can set up escrow account.. my thinking is if you can collect 100 quid.. ($170 USD) from thirty guys.. you got 3000 quid. and I will step up and ship on my dime.. really think good lawyer would cost at LEAST $25 large for this. for his LR..( bit of lost cause. if kent is NOT named in criminal case.. later bc
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are we in a diminishing returns on investment situation here? Why spend $25k on a lawyer to get back a $25k truck you already own.

Build Kent a truck. Wait for due process on his other. At a minimum we work towards a lawyer to at least make periodical inquiries.

It's a win win for Kent (sorta).

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110