Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Cool. We haven't dug through the back yet and probably should before asking too many questions. It's so well packed and with the rear door kept shut by the top I think we'll loosen that up and get the rear door off/open so we can have easy access to get stuff in and out since the back will be used for storage for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Speak of the devil - I was about to send you an email! First, we are going to take a good look at it on Saturday and compile a list and Ill post up then. So, i was going to ask about the countersunk screws that hold the mainshaft bearing holder in place before bolting it and the pto cover down - are they just to temporarily hold it in place while checking preload etc? One of the threaded holes is damaged and both screws are missing so wondering if it's safe to go with one or none? I just don't want to deal with trying to tap it out and get metal inside if it isn't necessary (I think Dave put some JB Weld in the hole - not sure if it's blind or not). Do you know what size/pitch those screws are btw in case we do want to give tapping it a shot? tia, charles
Oh yeah. It's a blind hole. I would put another layer of jb weld and drill/tap it out. It is a blind hole, shouldn't be a big deal. Even if a little bit got into the box, not a huge problem, it's just aluminum/jb weld. The screws are there somewhere. I wouldn't miss them out, no reason to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Charles,
The screws aren't really necessary and were deleted on later build t-boxes. I included some in case you wanted to use them, but I wouldn't sweat it. I think they were more for keeping the bearing housing in place during install/removal of an actual PTO attachment. I also included gaskets. It will be important to use a gasket between the bearing housing and main case if the gearbox was built with one originally as it is an integral part of the bearing preload on the tapered input shaft bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, will have to see how energetic we feel but it's good to know its blind.

Thanks for the gasket info - I would have just used the right stuff otherwise. I will see what's in the back of the truck, but I already managed to damage the one that was inbetween the bearing housing and pto cover when removing it (other one wasn't in place). I can use the right stuff for the cover.

8am tomorrow if you are coming. I will try find time to find my webcam and get it setup for brigs et al. Top donors get rights to pan/zoom and use the speaker. It's not too late to donate
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

The build begins

Wow. Thank you Charles for letting Kents new ride stay in your garage. It is amazing how fast you all are working on the truck. The first 30 minutes of work, took me a day+, cool. I apreciate seeing the build live, though I need to have my son fire up his gaming computer(windows) to get audio. Those who have access, please do try and look in to see some progress happening live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 7.09.41 AM.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	99990  
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
How do you see the live feed? Guess I didn't give enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Ok ready for her first bath....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1109994804.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	100005   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3244768012.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	100006  

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bummed I'm not in town....looking forward to pitching in when I get back.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Getting a little cleaner!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-999439549.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	100007   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3968329080.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	100008  

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Argh! Stuck at work!
Old August 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Still trying to understand the flip flops thing.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Still trying to understand the flip flops thing.
I remember seeing Charles wearing them at a Rovers on the Rocks event at Rausch at the end of Oct/start of Nov and it certainly wasn't warm. I don't know how he wheels and wrenches with them.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How does one get access to the live feed? I need to heckle you from afar and backseat build.

Semper Fi!
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
A big thanks to Craig, Tyler, and Patrick for coming by to help Kent and I today.

On the camera, sorry about not posting up a link - I had honestly intended to and forgot. I had sent a login to a few people last night which had extra privileges to pan the camera etc, but was going to put out a general link here and forgot. Remind me next time, but I'll try remember. I think those that got in enjoyed the show. Also remind me to take stills and I can do a time lapse as well. I didn't take any today.

It may not look like it from the picture from the end of the day, but it was quite productive.

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	100020

Kent brought beer and donuts and was ready to dive in, but Craig somehow had an idea of a magical 11am start time for drinking, so we held off for a bit - not sure we made 11 though.

After a little discussion it was agreed that the top and rear door were just in the way and needed to some off, so they did. We then did a complete inventory of all the parts and took to de-ambulancing the truck. We should have taken more pictures but there was a "cute" little jump seat behind the bulkhead and a variety of brackets left over from other equipment and furnishings, along with a plywood floor covered in vinyl and carpet glued to everything else. It also had some mods which we guessed allowed a gurney to fit which we removed since the large one would interfere with the side locker anyway, and the other was unnecessary. We'll patch these with aluminum panels at some point.

Name:	IMG_4028.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	100019

We also dropped the fuel tank since it was getting replaced and it we wanted to pressure wash as much as the frame as we could. Most of the glue came off with the power washing thankfully.

The seats are getting replaced so out those came, and so did the seat box so Kent can give them some TLC at home. Because of his work schedule we are not really going to get a lot done on this during week days so it's good that he can take some work home.

We loaded al the parts back into the back for storage and discussed what we needed and how to approach the tasks. Lots of ways to go about it, but right now we are going to focus on getting the parts needed and the next wrenching session will be a combination of getting the engine running and stripping all the suspension parts so we can give there frame a little TLC, and put some paint on it, with the new suspension parts going in on the subsequent session.

Oh the guys couldn't resist starting to pull the checker plate and decals/tape while I was cleaning the driveway. Lots more to do but the yellow came off pretty easily.

I'm too beat to do it now but will make up a list of parts needed in the next couple of days. Most of the things needed to get it running can be sourced locally (like a battery and hoses), but we have a fair sized list of things needed to get her taken care of. But a great starting point I thing (thanks again Greg).
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I'll check the batteries i have laying around the garage and see if any of them hold a charge to bring out next time.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Parts Needed

Thanks Tyler, that would be great.

Ok, here is the list of parts needed. I tried to gather part numbers for some of them, but in the spirit if getting the list out sooner than later, I am doing so now. Please let me know if you have any of these and would be willing to donate or give discounted prices on.

Parts needed, roughly in order of front to rear (green have been covered):

front grill (ALR8765PUC)
fan cowl/shroud (ERC8536?)
ground straps
axle breather lines
coolant reservoir or adapter [1]
brakes all round
radius arm bushings (ntc9027g) x2
windshield gasket (MUC3733)
lower windshield seal (FAJ100020)
vent seals (JAE000030) x2
footwells and lower door pillars
2 piece front doors including latches/locks
wright matt set [2]
sills all round [3]
rear floor load strips x5
fuel tank sender unit (PRC8463)
fuel tank skid plate/cradle (ESR2204GEN)
fuel tank filler neck (NTC2337)
rear bottom door seal (galvy strip with seal)
half height height tailgate
spare tire carrier (swing out)

[1] The truck has a standard black metal canister, but we have a 3 ended bottom radiator hose. The small hose end that comes up to the reservoir is a smaller diameter than the reservoir so we need to make an adapter to size it down, or use a disco/rrc canister.
[2] Any floor mats would be nice, but it would be awesome if we could get him one of the sweet wright mat sets that cover the seatbox and the whole front footwell area
[3] The current ones have checker plate on them and I don't think it's going to be worth the effort to fix all the holes on these once removed. Will trade checker plated ones!

Thanks!
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:25 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I have a lot of 4 cylinder fan shrouds around. Maybe some pictures from me would help?

I have a lot of the expansion tanks around. Can you tell me the hose size you hope to obtain?

So do you need a tailgate then? Will work to send one out if you are sure it is not already being provided.

Do you want to PM an address Charles ?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:44 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

I'm giving away black grill from my project. Converting to genuine SVX grill/surround/lights. I think I still have your address, Charles.

Sal
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:51 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
fuel tank skid plate/cradle (ESR2204GEN)
Charles how critical is it to have GEN? I have this:

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it

Brand new but it got some concrete rash on the bottom. I could rattle can it and send it down if you want. BTW, it is black not grey as in the RN pic.
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Jim, let's hold off a few more days to see if any of the vendors can give one, otherwise that would be fantastic. I'll PM you if/when we need it. The good thing is this is a non-critical item in terms of getting it running so no rush at this point.

Sal, that would be awesome, thanks.

Don, Not critical at all. If you are willing to part with one, well take it, thanks! I wouldn't worry about paint even - we can take care of that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110