Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 10th, 2014, 09:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Or, how about this: remove the roof sides, and build a half rear door out of plywood and a plywood bed capping to close it all up. Solves both issues in one shot. Just put the seatbox lids on and hope the dash doesn't get rained on too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

I could build a flat roof without too much trouble. I could also use a series roof I have here, and seal the gap as best as possible to keep the weather out.
Greg
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Whichever is easiest/fastest. I am hoping to pull the trigger on one of these shippers as soon as we know it is ready to ship in case they happen to be able to come get it quickly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:13 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think building a flat roof will be the easiest solution for Greg. Less work involved. Does not need to be airtight, just sturdy.

Can the young guy come give Greg a hand again? Psycho kid I think was his handle. I have an extra LR tool kit from a RRC I will send him if he can find the time to help Greg again.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quick question, we are going with an ST cage correct?? Right? Not sure, either way do we know where this is going now or are you guys just getting it ready to ship first? Forgive me I haven't followed super closely? Would it make sense to bring it here sooner then later for the cage? And does anyone have a top to donate for it so I can fit it? Maybe reach out to one of the venders to see if they can donate one ATLCruiser was trying to sell one?? Anyway no rush but can you guys keep me in the loop as to eta on when the cage is wanted? Please and thank you!!
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:41 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I've got a pretty busy weekend ahead of me but I'll see if I can go over and help Greg get some sort of top figured out, be it the series roof put on and gaps filled with foam (seems easiest) or some sort of plywood capping bodge job to seal it up..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Looks like Dave at Urban is going to donate a canvas for it. I'll have it modified and windows added and fitted with the cage.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:41 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sweet. The current plan is to ship it to my place and get it running. There is no point keeping it a non-runner and shipping it around. Once running we can drive it down to you and drop it off.

Is a 109 soft top compatible? At the very least the front is different. But if it is I can lend him mine until we get it down there. Either way we can figure something out.

But back to the shipping, the bottom line is I can't pull the trigger on shipping until we know a shipper could call and say "the truck will be there tomorrow" and know that it will be ready.
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If there is canvas available for the vehicle why can't we get it shipped there to replace the hard top sides.

As far as capping the current version of the vehicle with the sides on it. Just cut plywood to length and run screws from inside up . Make the plywood a little oversized so the screws have plenty to bite into. Put 2-3 2x4 boards as stringers from side to side to keep things from swaying about. Trying to fit the series hard top will cost a lot of time in my opinion.

But really if a soft top is available get it sent to Greg as soon as possible and have that fitted. Really the best answer because then Greg can keep the hardtop and possibly build another hard top camper for himself when life settles down for him. I think the 109 soft top may be a better answer.

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2014 10:51 AM ------

Thanks Jake

Lets see what happens first. PM me an address when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
I've got a pretty busy weekend ahead of me but I'll see if I can go over and help Greg get some sort of top figured out, be it the series roof put on and gaps filled with foam (seems easiest) or some sort of plywood capping bodge job to seal it up..

Old July 11th, 2014, 11:54 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Would need some solution for the rear tailgate/door if swapped to soft top prior to shipping, right?

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2014 11:55 AM ------

Really sucks because there is a whole soft top and hoop set, along with a tailgate sitting in the load space of my confiscated truck right now.....
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:58 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If Charles loans you a soft top, I will send a tailgate and the fittings to CA for it. Lets leave the SW rear door with Greg as well.
If he has other camper features in the D110 I would like it if you asked him to keep them for himself Kent. I think he had a fridge and some other camper add on items. I think he will regret letting it go one day and still having the top and other camper features will help him to regroup.

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
If Charles loans you a soft top, I will send a tailgate and the fittings to CA for it. Lets leave the SW rear door with Greg as well.
If he has other camper features in the D110 I would like it if you asked him to keep them for himself Kent. I think he had a fridge and some other camper add on items. I think he will regret letting it go one day and still having the top and other camper features will help him to regroup.
No problem with that whatsoever.
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Would need some solution for the rear tailgate/door if swapped to soft top prior to shipping, right?

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2014 11:55 AM ------

Really sucks because there is a whole soft top and hoop set, along with a tailgate sitting in the load space of my confiscated truck right now.....
May be mistaken but the soft top will be supported by the cage Brian has yet to build, not a hoopset, so unless I read it wrong there is no hoopset or header bar etc until it gets to Brian.
I agree with Jim, plywood is the beast option.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think I have an extra white tailgate.

The way it will work is Brewie will make a cage that will fit the soft top canvas that Dave at Urban will donate. That is my understanding anyway. So in the end you do not need the items that are in your confiscated truck.

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:03 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
I think I have an extra white tailgate.

The way it will work is Brewie will make a cage that will fit the soft top canvas that Dave at Urban will donate. That is my understanding anyway. So in the end you do not need the items that are in your confiscated truck.
True, but would still prefer they didn't get crushed by the feds.... but I digress....
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:04 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If Charles can send a couple hoops and enough to temporary fasten a soft top to help ship it I think that could work. Then he could get it back after the truck ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
May be mistaken but the soft top will be supported by the cage Brian has yet to build, not a hoopset, so unless I read it wrong there is no hoopset or header bar etc until it gets to Brian.
I agree with Jim, plywood is the beast option.

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If Charles can send a couple hoops and enough to temporary fasten a soft top to help ship it I think that could work. Then he could get it back after the truck ships.
Ah- missed that Charles has hoops.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 11th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
i'm having a hard time visualizing how to cover the front cab area with plywood due to the curved windscreen frame. Has Greg chimed in on this? Fitting the canvas the first time is not always straightforward. Lots of little clips that need to get riveted on etc.

Not to mention the cost of shipping the hoops out there. How much does the camper roof add to the shipping bill?
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Dave it's really tall. One of the shippers said it takes up two spaces (can't put another car above or below it) and said it would be $500 more. We could remove the top and go enclosed for the same amount.

I think shipping will add up, and also delay things. And I agree that fitting the top can take a fair amount of time. Shipping them hear at a leisurely pace would be far more cost effective than rushing them all the way to CA

On the cage, I *think* Kent's ideal cage would not be a full cage and he'd need the rear portions of the hoop set still, so safest is to get a hoop set now and he can always pass on anything he doesn't use.

Jim if you cod send a tailgate I like the idea of removing the sides and rear door and leaving them for Greg. However even fitting the tailgate can be a bit of work and need sundry parts. At that point the time might be better invested in building a crate for the parts and just letting the rest get wet. Really all we are talking about is the dash at this point. He needs a tailgate either way though.

Are we getting anywhere with this? :D
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I know its tall, I saw it there.

A good tarp or three and some ratchet straps could go a long way to helping keep things dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Dave it's really tall. One of the shippers said it takes up two spaces (can't put another car above or below it) and said it would be $500 more. We could remove the top and go enclosed for the same amount.

I think shipping will add up, and also delay things. And I agree that fitting the top can take a fair amount of time. Shipping them hear at a leisurely pace would be far more cost effective than rushing them all the way to CA

On the cage, I *think* Kent's ideal cage would not be a full cage and he'd need the rear portions of the hoop set still, so safest is to get a hoop set now and he can always pass on anything he doesn't use.

Jim if you cod send a tailgate I like the idea of removing the sides and rear door and leaving them for Greg. However even fitting the tailgate can be a bit of work and need sundry parts. At that point the time might be better invested in building a crate for the parts and just letting the rest get wet. Really all we are talking about is the dash at this point. He needs a tailgate either way though.

Are we getting anywhere with this? :D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110