Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's been a busy day! And it feels like the make a wish foundation

That's going to have to be a damn big plaque! We have 25 people pledged to give money and another 25 (ok some overlap) to give parts.

First if you don't mind, at some point Abe, Craig L., sal, and chuck4 all said they would like to contribute $$ but haven't actually specified an amount. If you wouldn't mind saying so here or in PM it would help, thanks.

Jim - I hear you about Greg and I was thinking the same thing, but Greg, your response didn't really strike me as you feeling that way. So just to clarify, are you just being polite, or if you had your druthers would you like help to finish lizzy up the way you planned? It's perfectly fine to be honest about it. I am sure if this si what you wanted we could help you get it going and find another truck for Kent (if not Johans).

As I said I am all for examining the options and I don't think we need to restrict it to these two, but before I even compared them Kent had already indicated a liking for Greg's. He can elaborate but I'll explain what our comparison entailed when I got involved. Oh and I don't want anyone thinking I am trying to force anyone in any direction. I'm making data driven decisions for my own opinions and I think I'm detached enough for this to be valid and beneficial. It's Kent's decision imo.

First, we assumed the *real* cost was closer to $2500 + $3500 which is $6000, but even if you think it's $5500, I am not sure it's any cheaper in the end. What's the most accurate cost you can come up with?

Second, I made a spreadsheet listing his dream requirements and how the two trucks stacked up. Here are the key points where they differ afaikt.

1. Transportation. As Greg said we are considering that included or we have enough volunteers to fly/drive if that was necessary. So not considered a negative (i.e. included int he price for both).
2. Engines. Kent can correct me if I am wrong but he has looked up the specs for the ACR 2.8 and thinks he'll be happy with it - they sounds quite good actually. It's a fresh drivetrain with no engineering involved. Just needs bolting in. Even if we swapped a V8 into the exMod (which I am not sure Kent wants - his dream statement was a SBC), it would take money and a lot of work. If we are shipping this thing to NC and it's all being done for free then great, otherwise this has both financial and volunteer cost. I don't have time to do an engine swap, sorry and I don't hear anyone else saying they do
3. Suspension. Greg's has new suspension parts already. Johan's not. Greg++
4. Seats. Greg's has new exmoor. Johans, not. Greg++
5. Tires. Greg's has low mileage KM2's. I wouldn't trust old tires myself so Johan's would need new shoes. Greg++

The seats and tires alone negate any savings on the cost of the exMod. Correct?

5. Rust. Yes Gregs has bulkhead rust, but Im not even a betting man and I'll bet that the exMod has the same or more.
6. Body. I believe Greg's is straighter. I'm not a fan of the checker plate but whatever. I don't think the exMod wins here, but if you assume paint is needed both ways then it's a wash.
7. Doors. We have had multiple offers for doors iirc so I assumed it's safe to remove this as a negative for Greg's. I can't comment on Johans in this regard.
8. Bulkhead delete. Not a biggie, but done already on Greg's. Greg++
9. Extras. He had extras that if Kent doesn't need can be sold off (but suspect he may want to keen). we basto heater, dual battery setup, extra fuel tank. Expensive side lockers.
10. Stuff still needed. They are a wash when it comes to converting to a ST, adding sliders etc.

Finally we are looking at this for the along haul. Whether Kent gets lucky and gets his red truck back or not, someone will want this truck to last so it seems prudent to do the best job up front which means starting with the best bones. I think we'd need someone to look at these trucks in person to get the true picture on rust etc. and I am pretty sure we could for Greg's. Not sure about Johan's.

We are also making some assumptions. On one hand we are assuming if he sends it to NC then labor isn't a factor. On the other I am betting the west coast guys would help Greg get the drivetrain back in and get it running, and which point you are comparing two running truck and the work is shared. Personally I think this would be great because I got the impression from Greg that he'd like to see it through to completion, and a road trip ala whereisjaney would be awesome.

So let me know if you still think it's such a good deal at $1500 less. I am of the opinion it's not. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise and also happy to look at others (although from talking to Kent I sense it's all a bit overwhelming and more choices don't help). But nothing stopping us doing so Until we have money this is all talk anyway.

BTW, I asked Johan for more info here in this thread and got none. I'll PM him and see if he can provide more info and pictures.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I see where you are coming from and OK no matter what happens. For me the appeal was that one is running and driving and the other while assumed to be running and driving with a little work we do not know until the motor fires and it goes down the road.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
I sat down to lunch yesterday with Charles and Pedro, and we had a very good and productive discussion about this whole situation. I believe Charles has a very good understanding of my position on all of this. Reading Charles' post just now reaffirms that for me. I really couldn't have said it better myself. Ive said it before that this is a bit overwhelming for me and its been difficult to make any decisions. Im glad Charles has been able to take the reigns on the organization of this endeavor, and I thank him very much.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your words of advice and wisdom, and especially your pledges toward this project.

Kent
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Jim - I hear you about Greg and I was thinking the same thing, but Greg, your response didn't really strike me as you feeling that way. So just to clarify, are you just being polite, or if you had your druthers would you like help to finish lizzy up the way you planned? It's perfectly fine to be honest about it. I am sure if this si what you wanted we could help you get it going and find another truck for Kent (if not Johans).

Charles
Yes today is different today, as I had an aha moment. Unfortunately the moment has not stopped spasming. Maybe I shouldn't try to articulate anything during my tough days. As easy as it would be to get some help to complete Lizzy, only to sell, that benefits one person only. Me, and I'm not good with that. So no, I do not rather have my truck back on the road as planned. It will sit for the next 2 years if not used for Kent minus what he may ask to have for his build. Right now, the timing, and health circumstances were seemed a good fit to offer Kent my 110. This would be a community event, and in my little mind, suited for the task.

First, we assumed the *real* cost was closer to $2500 + $3500 which is $6000, but even if you think it's $5500, I am not sure it's any cheaper in the end. What's the most accurate cost you can come up with?

I had offered Kent the truck at $7k. That's where the no motor/gearbox $5k cost came from. I did not read Johan's post correctly, which was reduced,and Doug corrected pricing difference of 50% less. in post #202 I stated I could not match Johan's price of $3.5k. That is the best I can do, under the circumstances, sorry. I did say I would take care of transport to chosen shop, running, or not. For reducing costs, what I was trying to relate was, anything Kent did not want to use, then could be sold to bring the final cost down. ie Kent does not need dual batteries, then sell the new IBS system included, and spend the proceeds elsewhere. Doesn't need Front Runner tank etc...I apologize for the confusion there. I only hope my price is not too dear for Kent's build, and this causes any sort of problems here, that was not my intentions.

Until I am told otherwise, if anyone wants to inspect for the group, please PM phone number, and come take a look see. 6am-10pm works best. At a minimum, can a couple of So Cal guys help me get the drive train in so I can start Lizzy up please. If we don't use here, you can visit during recovery and we can take Lizzy's for a drive to liquor store for some libations.

Greg
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It's been a busy day! And it feels like the make a wish foundation

That's going to have to be a damn big plaque! We have 25 people pledged to give money and another 25 (ok some overlap) to give parts.

First if you don't mind, at some point Abe, Craig L., sal, and chuck4 all said they would like to contribute $$ but haven't actually specified an amount. If you wouldn't mind saying so here or in PM it would help, thanks.

As I said I am all for examining the options and I don't think we need to restrict it to these two, but before I even compared them Kent had already indicated a liking for Greg's. He can elaborate but I'll explain what our comparison entailed when I got involved. Oh and I don't want anyone thinking I am trying to force anyone in any direction. I'm making data driven decisions for my own opinions and I think I'm detached enough for this to be valid and beneficial. It's Kent's decision imo.

Second, I made a spreadsheet listing his dream requirements and how the two trucks stacked up. Here are the key points where they differ afaikt.

1. Transportation. As Greg said we are considering that included or we have enough volunteers to fly/drive if that was necessary. So not considered a negative (i.e. included int he price for both).
2. Engines. Kent can correct me if I am wrong but he has looked up the specs for the ACR 2.8 and thinks he'll be happy with it - they sounds quite good actually. It's a fresh drivetrain with no engineering involved. Just needs bolting in. Even if we swapped a V8 into the exMod (which I am not sure Kent wants - his dream statement was a SBC), it would take money and a lot of work. If we are shipping this thing to NC and it's all being done for free then great, otherwise this has both financial and volunteer cost. I don't have time to do an engine swap, sorry and I don't hear anyone else saying they do
3. Suspension. Greg's has new suspension parts already. Johan's not. Greg++
4. Seats. Greg's has new exmoor. Johans, not. Greg++
5. Tires. Greg's has low mileage KM2's. I wouldn't trust old tires myself so Johan's would need new shoes. Greg++

The seats and tires alone negate any savings on the cost of the exMod. Correct?

5. Rust. Yes Gregs has bulkhead rust, but Im not even a betting man and I'll bet that the exMod has the same or more.
6. Body. I believe Greg's is straighter. I'm not a fan of the checker plate but whatever. I don't think the exMod wins here, but if you assume paint is needed both ways then it's a wash.
7. Doors. We have had multiple offers for doors iirc so I assumed it's safe to remove this as a negative for Greg's. I can't comment on Johans in this regard.
8. Bulkhead delete. Not a biggie, but done already on Greg's. Greg++
9. Extras. He had extras that if Kent doesn't need can be sold off (but suspect he may want to keen). we basto heater, dual battery setup, extra fuel tank. Expensive side lockers.
10. Stuff still needed. They are a wash when it comes to converting to a ST, adding sliders etc.

Finally we are looking at this for the along haul. Whether Kent gets lucky and gets his red truck back or not, someone will want this truck to last so it seems prudent to do the best job up front which means starting with the best bones. I think we'd need someone to look at these trucks in person to get the true picture on rust etc. and I am pretty sure we could for Greg's. Not sure about Johan's.

We are also making some assumptions. On one hand we are assuming if he sends it to NC then labor isn't a factor. On the other I am betting the west coast guys would help Greg get the drivetrain back in and get it running, and which point you are comparing two running truck and the work is shared. Personally I think this would be great because I got the impression from Greg that he'd like to see it through to completion, and a road trip ala whereisjaney would be awesome.

So let me know if you still think it's such a good deal at $1500 less. I am of the opinion it's not. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise and also happy to look at others (although from talking to Kent I sense it's all a bit overwhelming and more choices don't help). But nothing stopping us doing so Until we have money this is all talk anyway.

BTW, I asked Johan for more info here in this thread and got none. I'll PM him and see if he can provide more info and pictures.

charles
I can do $300
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

ok, I might have missed some questions about the truck I have offered. Sorry for that, there are more then 200 replys to this thread and I can not keep up with everything.

About the 110.
I try to give an honest description and no salesman talk. I don't have any other reason selling this car here then to help a Land Rover enthousiast in trouble. I already have better offers on this car so if the group decisedes to go for the other one, that is no problem for me.......

I don't know so much about this car but when I saw it for sale I was interested because it is all original, no rust, original engine, and straight body. That is the only reason I bought it, normally I never buy military or RHD trucks.

1. Frame. All solid no rust
2. Bulkhead, no rust under windscreen, foot wells repaired. Welding is done quite ok, but easy to recognize that it is repaired.
3. Doorframes, a little surface rust
4. tires, plenty of thread, no idea about age
5. body, only minor dents, see pictures
6. engine, easy starter, smokes when starting, no excessive crank case pressure. For the rest I don't know anything about the engine but it runs fine.
7. gearbox, I only drove it for 0,5 mls and up until 3rd geard. That's was working as you might expect. No reason to believe there is anything wrong with it but no garantees either.
8. newer original LR seats (see picture) in very good condition, I would say almost new. Better then any Exmoor seat which all start to crack after 3 or 4 years, if they don't already with installation....

The trucks has a valid Dutch safety inspection. Worth nothing in US of course, but just to show all the essentials, like brakes, steering, frame are in good working condition and this is not a project truck but a car to start and drive away with. Below you can find all the pictures I have.

I think this is a good truck, try to give an honest listing, but also I can not give any garantees.Checked out this car for appr 10 minutes, hardly drove it and most of all, it is an almost 30 year old Land Rover, so please understand it is always possible something is or can go wrong.....

THe end of this month I am back in The Netherlands and can check it out in more detail, make more pictures and take it for a longer ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD9.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	94154   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	94155  

Name:	110 MOD6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	94156   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD18.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	94157  

Name:	110 MOD17.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	94158   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD11.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	94159  

Name:	110 MOD12.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	94160   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD14.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	94161  

Name:	110 MOD13.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	94162   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD15.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	94163  

Name:	110 MOD20.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	94164   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 MOD19.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	94165  

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	94166  
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I vote to get Johan's truck, the cost is a true gift horse. And make an effort to get Lizzy running and driving for Greg. I might have a reason to go out his way, CA, in the fall and could give a day or two and help Greg.

When I read between the lines, this is how I see it. Plus I think an Ex MOD fits the build.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I vote to get Johan's truck, the cost is a true gift horse. And make an effort to get Lizzy running and driving for Greg. I might have a reason to go out his way, CA, in the fall and could give a day or two and help Greg.

When I read between the lines, this is how I see it. Plus I think an Ex MOD fits the build.
My biggest reservation about the ExMOD truck is the 2.5NA. I know it would be very soon after having the truck and driving around I will need a bit more grunt.

Kent
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I totally understand that. It would do the job in the short term and may surprise you if it is running well. If Johan said it is doing pretty good, I know he has a lot of experience with these and better comparisons. the The hunt is on for a 200 tdi after you have it in the country and on the road for a while. Or a SBC, 300 tdi etc... For moving it around for the summer for getting its work done and some enjoyment for you in the next half year or so, the 2.5na will do the trick. IMO
This is the best way to start the process for you on an imported 25 year old D110. Have it original for a while. In fact, this may be a good lesson for everyone looking at imported D110's

That is my sales pitch. But we all want you to be happy with it Kent. So if it is a deal breaker then let's move a different direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
My biggest reservation about the ExMOD truck is the 2.5NA. I know it would be very soon after having the truck and driving around I will need a bit more grunt.

Kent

Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I totally understand that. It would do the job in the short term and may surprise you if it is running well. If Johan said it is doing pretty good, I know he has a lot of experience with these and better comparisons. the The hunt is on for a 200 tdi after you have it in the country and on the road for a while. Or a SBC, 300 tdi etc... For moving it around for the summer for getting its work done and some enjoyment for you in the next half year or so, the 2.5na will do the trick. IMO
This is the best way to start the process for you on an imported 25 year old D110. Have it original for a while. In fact, this may be a good lesson for everyone looking at imported D110's

That is my sales pitch. But we all want you to be happy with it Kent. So if it is a deal breaker then let's move a different direction.
We've got a 300tdi lump we can donate should it come to it…

Brian
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

And there you go- Wow

That is a great offer Brian. Thanks

We are on the lookout for an R380 transmission next. Anyone have something extra to their needs ?

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
And there you go- Wow That is a great offer Brian. Thanks We are on the lookout for an R380 transmission next. Anyone have something extra to their needs ?
I have a disco r380, it needs a defender shift tower and a new main shaft, if some one will donate those couple things I can make sure it gets out together!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:

X2 The 2.5 won't be that bad at sea level, at altitude on a really steep grade is where it gets really slow. I think you'll be fine in the short term.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Never mind, that's for a v8 I didn't think about the diesel
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
This is sounding pretty good. Thanks guys! The battle in my head between the ambulance and the ExMOD rages on....

Kent
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I say one of the west coast guys need to go over and give us an independent assessment of Greg's truck. Tires and suspension alone bring the ex MOD up to the same cost so I don't think it's a cost savings, and it's down to which has better bones. Barry, Neil? Who is is nearby? Also if you consider it a good foundation, think about if you guys could help Greg get it running. It would help him if not resolve the concerns about it being a valid candidate for Kent, so a win/win.

On the engine front it's great to hear Brian is willing to donate a 300tdi, but there will be lot$ of other goodie$ needed and a lot of labor! But you guys should know better than me. What's the real cost of all the "other stuff" needed. Intercooler, hoses, clutch, hoses, etc. I know this is non-trivial and usually I hear figures associated with these conversions that are well above my threshold of pain.

BUT, I honestly don't have time to do an engine swap - i don't have time to do my own projects, and I don't hear anyone else in the area saying they can! I think think if we split up the labor on Greg's truck between the two coasts it's doable, but I don't think we can take on bringing an ex MOD up to spec here. Again if this is getting shipped to NC then I guess I don't care as long as the cost of all the other parts needed isn't too high.

The cost question I posed was for Doug abut Johan's truck. What's the realistic price to import it? Don't skimp - it's better to estimate higher than lower.

I heard from Andrey but haven't had a chance to chat. Hopefully Monday we can get a better idea about how to collect money without tax burdens or anything else that might be a problem.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sorry I have been crazy busy and dropped the ball on following up on some of this stuff. Barry is going to take a close look at Greg's truck and give us an independent assessment. At the rate we are going Johan will be able to give us a better idea about the MOD one soon too.

Still need to touch base with Andrey on tax advice, but if anyone else has knowledge in this area, please do tell.

We are at $8150 in donations offered, possibly less if they are not tax write-offs. Thanks again to all that have offered donations and to help. At the risk of losing momentum I'm going to make sure we have all our ducks in a row before soliciting for real donations.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:29 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

So people are really making their donations dependent on whether it will be tax deductible? This guy served in a war zone for Christ's sake.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I might have misunderstood them, but I thought one person indicated it may be a requirement. I have asked for clarification
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:06 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
So people are really making their donations dependent on whether it will be tax deductible? This guy served in a war zone for Christ's sake.
Well, it might make sense for whomever is handling all of the money to have this set up to take donations the right way so it doesn't appear as income to them--this is the country we live in... And, some people may be able to afford to give more if the donation is tax deductible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110