Operation Get Kent aka 85Red110 His Truck Back!!! - Page 14 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If this happens I would be willing to pay the actual cost of materials that Brewie needs to make this happen.
Nice offer and applies well to the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
If Aaron is doing the work bring it by here and I'll do a nice rear cage for the 110 st if you want?? I'm only a couple hours from Aaron, I could possibly even pick it up.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I can do $50. I can contribute any parts or labor if needed.
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys, every bit counts! $50 is $50 more than the guy who doesn't give anything

And thanks for the offers for parts. He won't need them all but maybe we can sell some stuff off for the cash.

Brian, a cage would be awesome, thanks.

Kent has some thinking to do and we need to figure out how to handle the money, but I think this thing is about ready to take off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:26 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I'm happy to help anyway I can, Pendy if you'll cover the cost of powder I'll cover the material and labor? That would help me out tremendously with the cage cost. Keep in the loop as to when this will be needed, and I'll be happy to work it in!! I'm excited to see how cool this truck is gonna be!
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm down for a stringless $100
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I'm in for $50, once this PCS is sorted if this is still going I could do more.

No strings; but will say if it goes to Wilmington and gets seized (again) we all got what we deserved.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:01 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

I am in for a donation when the details are sorted.

Chuck
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks a lot everyone. Assuming everyone can make their pledges, we are at $7250. This is of course just the price of entry, and besides wanting to see Jonsey have to contribute less we'll need more. But I think it's viable.

Kent and I talked today and he has some thinking to do, but maybe in the next day or so we can pick a direction. I have compiled a list of Kent's dream specs and show how Greg's truck stacks up to it, and have some pictures of it for your viewing pleasure.
  • 1985 110 2Dr RHD Check!
  • Soft Top No, needs roll cage, hoop set and canvas
  • R380/LT230 new LT77, LT230 (1.6) and new clutch
  • good doors no but sounds like we can get some donated
  • Rust free not bad. Looks like the bulkhead will need a little work
  • Dent free body Straight but lots of checker plate
  • 255/85-R16 tires Wolfs! 235/85/16 KM2's with ~$1k miles
  • Bulkhead delete Check!
  • New corbeau seats no, but new exmoor
  • Sliders no
  • cage/rollbar yes thanks to Brian
  • Tuffy console yes thanks to Forrest
  • LED lighting no
  • Linex no
  • Extras? New suspension, exhaust, webasto heater, dual battery system, extra fuel tank, side lockers

And the pictures. I think it needs a lick of paint inside the engine bay, the new transmission mated to the motor and it installed (needs some hoses and gaskets), some bulkhead repair, and a bunch of parts bolted on.

Name:   0_003.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  3.8 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	94072 Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	94073

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	94074 Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	94075 Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	94076

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	94077 Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	94078 Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	94079

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	94080 Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	94081 Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	94082

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	94083 Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	94084 Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	94085

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	94086 Click image for larger version

Name:	a_002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	94087 
Name:   a.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  5.2 KB
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:23 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I should have a 1.6 hi gear t-case I could throw in…may need a rear output housing…I'll also add a set of heavy duty trailing arms
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Zack to be clear we are talking about donations to get Kent a truck, not making things right with Cox.
Craig is the hero here.... in case anyone is missing it.
Opps - sorry I though you were referring to me because of the timing of my post, but after going back I see you were referring to Jonesy.....I kinda thought at the time my simple gesture didn't warrant that status.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 07:37 AM ------

[QUOTE=cgalpin;527852]Thanks a lot everyone. Assuming everyone can make their pledges, we are at $7250. This is of course just the price of entry, and besides wanting to see Jonsey have to contribute less we'll need more. But I think it's viable.

I am in for 200+
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'll also mention I have enough supplies to rewire the entire thing twice. I hope that there is a clear plan by next week. I would love to be able to help wrench or do the electric or in some way get my hands into the build. I also think that the truck should have a permanent plaque or something with the signatures of everyone who contributes. It will make it impossible for Kent to ever ever sell it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

That sounds fine Brian. Just wanted to help so you did not have to absorb to many costs. Your offer is very generous and will be a big part of the effort I think.
Thanks again for your offer, I hope that we take you up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I'm happy to help anyway I can, Pendy if you'll cover the cost of powder I'll cover the material and labor? That would help me out tremendously with the cage cost. Keep in the loop as to when this will be needed, and I'll be happy to work it in!! I'm excited to see how cool this truck is gonna be!

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Charles,

I would like to open this up for discussion.

I agree that Greg's D110 is a great candidate for Kent's build. And it is really a fantastic gesture of Greg to offer this up at such a fair cost.

But I have some reservations. Greg's D110 is headed in a different direction currently then what Kent is looking for. If this becomes Kent's truck it will never become what Greg had a vision for it. He wanted to build an expedition truck for his own use. And it will become lost in this build. His health and physical limitations have caused the build to be put on standby. It just does not feel right to deconstruct what he has gathered to this point and start over in such a dramatic way. In the best case, Kent would get his truck back, but what could Greg hope for if that happened. It will not be completed in anything close to the type of D110 he had a vision for. Really what I see here is someone else that could use a hand getting his build back on track. Especially a good natured fellow like Greg that offered so much to someone else in need on the other side of the continent. It would not be in Greg's interest to buy the truck back or have it offered to him if the court awards Kent his truck back. It would not meet his needs at that point.

I would like to take a look at what Johan offered to us again. Or what Chris at Sandwich Rovers offered. Maybe Jonesy "Craig" could haggle a better price on the truck in TX.

Not trying to stop the progress you have been making Charles, but needed to speak my mind and wondered if maybe others might have seen the situation like I am.

And of course I am interested in what Kent thinks about the situation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Thanks a lot everyone. Assuming everyone can make their pledges, we are at $7250. This is of course just the price of entry, and besides wanting to see Jonsey have to contribute less we'll need more. But I think it's viable.

Kent and I talked today and he has some thinking to do, but maybe in the next day or so we can pick a direction. I have compiled a list of Kent's dream specs and show how Greg's truck stacks up to it, and have some pictures of it for your viewing pleasure.
  • 1985 110 2Dr RHD Check!
  • Soft Top No, needs roll cage, hoop set and canvas
  • R380/LT230 new LT77, LT230 (1.6) and new clutch
  • good doors no but sounds like we can get some donated
  • Rust free not bad. Looks like the bulkhead will need a little work
  • Dent free body Straight but lots of checker plate
  • 255/85-R16 tires Wolfs! 235/85/16 KM2's with ~$1k miles
  • Bulkhead delete Check!
  • New corbeau seats no, but new exmoor
  • Sliders no
  • cage/rollbar yes thanks to Brian
  • Tuffy console yes thanks to Forrest
  • LED lighting no
  • Linex no
  • Extras? New suspension, exhaust, webasto heater, dual battery system, extra fuel tank, side lockers

And the pictures. I think it needs a lick of paint inside the engine bay, the new transmission mated to the motor and it installed (needs some hoses and gaskets), some bulkhead repair, and a bunch of parts bolted on.

Attachment 94071 Attachment 94072 Attachment 94073

Attachment 94074 Attachment 94075 Attachment 94076

Attachment 94077 Attachment 94078 Attachment 94079

Attachment 94080 Attachment 94081 Attachment 94082

Attachment 94083 Attachment 94084 Attachment 94085

Attachment 94086 Attachment 94087 Attachment 94088

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Not my decision on what you guys go with but just wanted to share a couple of thought on the ambulance..

It is not running and in parts, it is going to take time to get it on the road and I am sure there will be other issues found along the way.

It will cost more to ship as inop

all 3 doors look shot

It still has a tiny motor even if it has been worked over

the body looks just as rough as any xmod

bulkhead needs work

paint is shot and multiple colors

It just seems like a bunch of work to get it going again and are you any better off compared to the xmod for $3500?

The one that Johan has the frame look nice maybe we could get some more / better pics of it from Johan? The way i see it is that one is running and driving and it is easy enough to add the soft top and the donated accessories and he would be off and running. Just seems like a better starting point for the same money?

----------

I was typing this as Pendy posted his comments. That is a good point as well maybe People around Greg could offer up some wrenching days to help him get his 110 back on the road? Even if he did not want to keep it if it were running he could get more money for it running and driving if he needed the money?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'm too damn old to thumb type all day but will reply in full later. Short answer is anything should be on the table and any constructive comments are appreciated and wanted so keep them coming.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree with Dave and Pendy and have been biting my tongue through most of this. Johan's running/driving truck imported and in Kents hands was around $5500. That would leave quite a bit in funds for a paint job etc. If he wants a V8- Bill has one w/r380 in Cambridge and has offered it up. My .02.
I think asking Johan for some close ups of the bulkhead condition would be a prudent step to take.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:37 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Hi All
Before this goes too much further, perhaps it is a good time to chime in. A few concerns have been brought up. There have been discussions with Kent, and Charles over the phone, and a few details have not been made public yet. As far as motor goes, It has not come up asking for more motor. Of course if Kent choices a V8, I would keep the motor and gearbox, and reduce the price $2k. If Kent wants the 2.8, a few days with help will get her drivable, and am sure a few hands are available if need be. Getting an in-op to where ever the shop is, is my responsibility, and would cost no extra money to do so. Even though Kent is wanting another soft top, the newer rear door, and top ships with, and can be sold to buy what else is needed. That being said, all the extras, and spares,( a few not mentioned) will go with, and can be dealt with in the same manner. This is a sizable amount of money, not to be ignored. This helps to reduce the cost of the build, making the up front dollar amount less to all in the end.
This truck is only an option, and offered as such. As far as the future of Lizzy, the funds dependent on outcome, should remain in the Defender Source community. My contribution is no strings as well. It was kind of those who thought otherwise, thank you for that. I have come to terms with current health status, and future after next 2 surgeries. I can deal with having a nice Series Ambulance for fun,and a Roadtrek for travels.LOL Not ideal of course, but is what it is, and am good with that. Back on topic, it would be nice to have available funds held to instantly to use, and can aid those needing help yesterday. I will leave this to you all now, since we are all on the same page. Have a great day all.
Greg
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thank you for your thoughts here Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
Hi All
Before this goes too much further, perhaps it is a good time to chime in. A few concerns have been brought up. There have been discussions with Kent, and Charles over the phone, and a few details have not been made public yet. As far as motor goes, It has not come up asking for more motor. Of course if Kent choices a V8, I would keep the motor and gearbox, and reduce the price $2k. If Kent wants the 2.8, a few days with help will get her drivable, and am sure a few hands are available if need be. Getting an in-op to where ever the shop is, is my responsibility, and would cost no extra money to do so. Even though Kent is wanting another soft top, the newer rear door, and top ships with, and can be sold to buy what else is needed. That being said, all the extras, and spares,( a few not mentioned) will go with, and can be dealt with in the same manner. This is a sizable amount of money, not to be ignored. This helps to reduce the cost of the build, making the up front dollar amount less to all in the end.
This truck is only an option, and offered as such. As far as the future of Lizzy, the funds dependent on outcome, should remain in the Defender Source community. My contribution is no strings as well. It was kind of those who thought otherwise, thank you for that. I have come to terms with current health status, and future after next 2 surgeries. I can deal with having a nice Series Ambulance for fun,and a Roadtrek for travels.LOL Not ideal of course, but is what it is, and am good with that. Back on topic, it would be nice to have available funds held to instantly to use, and can aid those needing help yesterday. I will leave this to you all now, since we are all on the same page. Have a great day all.
Greg

Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
...I also think that the truck should have a permanent plaque or something with the signatures of everyone who contributes. It will make it impossible for Kent to ever ever sell it.
I was thinking the same thing.

Kent
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I agree with Dave and Pendy and have been biting my tongue through most of this. Johan's running/driving truck imported and in Kents hands was around $5500. That would leave quite a bit in funds for a paint job etc. If he wants a V8- Bill has one w/r380 in Cambridge and has offered it up. My .02.
I think asking Johan for some close ups of the bulkhead condition would be a prudent step to take.
X2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, ac, d110