On Board Air - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

On Board Air

A guy on the Disco. Org web site made an onboard air compressor with an "air ride pump" off a Buick that he got from a junk yard. He spent 450 for the compressor and another $20 for the rest of the supplies. I think it is a pretty damn good idea and the price is right. Has anybody out there done this? If so, what brand of pump are you running??? A person on Discoweb.org stated that the GM pumps are plastic and melt after 10 minutes?? Let me know what you think...Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2003, 09:37 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have been working on converting my AC compressor to Air. I think $450 is allot for a pump. I have heard of people getting AC compressors for under $50 from the yard. Don't the quick air pumps cost around $450? Is an "Air Ride Pump" run off the engine or off a motor? I will have to check out Dweb.
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:51 AM
dante18
Dante
None

Mike if you could post a how to when you are done i would appreciate it. I am looking to do the same but lack the knowledge.

Dante
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK, looked at Dweb under the disco section. He paid $50 for it. I have no experience with them but looking at the size I don't think it will put a very high CFM. I would guess that It will pump up to 100 psi but I don't think it would run air tools. If you could why not use the compressor that comes on Discos with air springs?
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:34 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Typo, it was $50 for the compressor. I live in Arizona, I would dry up and die if I converted my A/C compressor from an A/C to an air source. I would also render my D-90 as un-sellable here in the Southwest....Dave
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK so not having AC might be a small health risk for you I think it will be fine for pumping tires up slowly unless you have a big tank. I cannot think of another car that uses air more actively, thus giving a better duty cycle on the compressor so you don't have to worry about it melting. But I don't think a compressor capable of 100 psi would h have anything plastic in it. I would say to try and find one cheap and to experiment with it.
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You snuck in Danta and i missed your post. So far I hooked it up and It pumps air fast, even at idle. the problem is the oil I put in the compressor comes out with the compressed air. I meet some one with the same compressor, but he bought it in Australia and instead of oil it used grease. With the idle set at about 2k it pumped my 35s from 15 to 30 psi in about 60 seconds, not bad. I have been preoccupied and have not spent to much time on it, my next step was to drain the oil and try some heavier oil to see what it did before I pump it full of grease.
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just to offer a different option to those that want to keep the AC.

Try CO2. It will inflate a 37 from 8 psi to 30 in about 30 seconds or so and you don't have to drop major PowerTank coin to do it. I am also running my air lockers with it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 1st, 2003, 06:04 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I just got back from the junk yard. Paid $50 for a Caddy air ride suspension pump. I get 98 psi out of it. Next project is to figure out some sort of tank. I may try something small under the seat or a capped pipe inside of the hollow front bumper. Any thoughts???...Dave
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:28 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I second CO2 Power tank.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Also, with the tank, you can take it out of the truck and use it in another or for air tools when you are not near your rig.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Does everyone have a tank? I see alot of them on the trail. How many times can you inflate your tires with them?
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think with the big tank you can do like 20 tires or something like that..
Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Not sure since it depends on the tire size but 20 is a pretty good number. They hold a lot of CO2. Plus, they can reset a bead which no compressor that I am aware of can.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat