Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Old school Vs New - need opinions

Hey everyone,

I would like to ask for everyone's opinion about the next stage of my rebuild. I have always been for restoring and keeping the old school look: with recessed door handles, split doors, galvanized body cappings and two-tone color. I will be repainting my truck with the original Trident Green, and the next step was to get a squared off Brownchurch roof rack to finish the look. Until I saw SafariResto had this available right in my backyard. Another reason is that I have 2 baby girls that would love to ride in the truck. Not sure if it will fit a regular 110. I have an email out to Stephen to see what he thinks. Will probably have to cut my roof, it is ribbed on top. What do you guys think? Pics taken from posts here on D90 and the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	48717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2291.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	48718  

Name:	IMG_2310.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	48719   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	48722  

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	48723  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Another reason is that I have 2 baby girls that would love to ride in the truck.
OK so they will fill up the second row. Now does that mean you want to carry all the rest of your gear in an open bed?
Keep it as it is. Just as nice if you ask me, and more practical.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
No not an open bed. I would like to keep the rear area enclosed like the original. Not even sure it will fit. Thinking in the summer I can take the roof and window tops off and put a canvas over the rack to make a Bimini top for the beach. Sort of like a Beach Runner with the added protection of an SD rack.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I am not doing a double cab conversion. Just adding that rack to a regular 5 door 110. It will look like the last 2 pics.

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id love a crew cab, maybe with a canvas top and no "cage" The SD cages do look good on the SW's.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
That's a tough one, really.

I'm partial to the first picture for sentimental reasons (that's my old rig!). I have a more modern-spec push-button door 110 w/ external cage etc. now, but most people still ask about the blue 110. That one in particular (JStahl's now) wore a really nice original coat of paint. The old-school style really does attract a lot more positive attention and curious questions in general. The new(er) one I have now is somehow modern enough that people do not come up and ask a million questions. That's good or bad depending how you feel.

Putting an external cage on that would be a mistake, however........

I'd say that with 2 small children you have to think about the saftey component and whether or not you intend on doing any highway driving. I personally think an external roll cage would take away from the vintage look completely, but you really should think of that aspect of it first.

I know you're thinking that the Safari Resto cage is a great deal (and it is), but I don't think it's the right look for an ole school 110. Safety Devices offers several internal variants that may give you an element of safety without comprimising the look (they would probably be a whole lot cheaper to fit as well)

BTW-that bullbar is not correct for the 1984 110 (in the first photo), that was really the only non-original part, yet it still blended.

No matter what, I think you should pick a direction and stick with it. Sounds like you're staying true to the vintage look. Are you putting the graduated white stripes back on? (I think RN had some on clearance a while back FYI).
Having had both, it's really hard to choose, but nothing puts a smile on people's face like a true time capsule!
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:12 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

5 door cage, internal/external. IMO, using that crew cab cage on a SW would look fugly.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:23 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Old school all the way. No question in my mind.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
.....also, you don't want to cut your roof.
go internal somehow.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Kids dig the old school look

Do an internal cage if you must.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
What do you guys think?
Well, I personally think the 4-door pickup is awesome. It definitely makes 110's look tougher. You can put all your tools and dirty/offroading stuff in the bed and still carry kids in the middle. There's a reason why crew-cab Tacos have very high resale values, even compared to 4runners.

The only real issue is sourcing the cage and the truck cab top/sides/rear. I can't imagine that it will be cheap. But the end result would look pretty bad-a$$, IMHO.

As for cutting the roof, it would be better just to sell it once you get the proper replacement.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Agreed that the DC is cool, but he said no to the DC conversion...post 5 above. Just a Q about that cage on a 5 door SW.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
My mistake!
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Yeah old school for sure. That was/is the original intention of my rebuild. It's just that Stephen is located so close and he keeps enticing me with all his projects and products. Thanks for the slap in the face.

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

He has/ has had other cages, like this 5 door external/internal at a killer price.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33287
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:27 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I will ask him this Saturday when I see him but I think that is a 2 door cage.

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

RBL1837SSS is for a 5 door SW.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
RBL1837SSS is for a 5 door SW.
Yes you are correct. He has two different cages listed. My luck it is gone. I will ask him this weekend. Thanks Paul.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat