Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Oil pressure fluctuations

Is it normal for my oil pressure at idle to be at say 20lbs and when running at 25-30 lbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Unfortunatly yes.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well at least this rules out a potential problem, scarred the heck out of me man!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its not really unfortunate, all motors that I know of have oil pressure that is dependent on RPM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Unfortunate in that it does not inspire the confidence that seeing 80 psi on the oil pressure guage on my chevy truck does.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I guess when it drops down to 5-10lbs is when you have maybe an oil pump problem then.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
When the truck is on fire you should check the gauge to see if you have pressure.

Old January 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

????
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It was a joke - since most trucks catch fire from the oil line problem, the pressure drops to zero since all the oil is being squirted out on the manifold.

Old January 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Unfortunate in that it does not inspire the confidence that seeing 80 psi on the oil pressure guage on my chevy truck does.
Run a high volume oil pump or adjustable regulator for increased psi at rpms.
Remember the lump may have been made by Rover but its still a Buick 215/300/340 as far as a lot of performance parts go.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They leak like a seive with low oil pressure and you want to increase the oil pressure? It would look like arterial bleeding.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Could be a sales feature for military Landies, high pressure flame thrower, impress your friends and enemies!

Follow-up Post:

In all seriousness, I am interested in a higher capacity oil pump and have looked at the buick aftermarket goodies. the problem is do you go for the roller cam, roller rockers and the lot or just keep it to the basics.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

ahh, thats what makes a rover a rover baby...never a dull moment!!!
Even when it's working right, it can scare you......
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Could be a sales feature for military Landies, high pressure flame thrower, impress your friends and enemies!

Follow-up Post:

In all seriousness, I am interested in a higher capacity oil pump and have looked at the buick aftermarket goodies. the problem is do you go for the roller cam, roller rockers and the lot or just keep it to the basics.
I'm more thinking of a 4.6 with a hybrid front cover to keep the distributor.

Until then, I may also have to go with a new pump soon. With old oil, my pressure is in the low teens now.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Tom this block has never has a high pressure lube system, it relies on quantity of flow which is why the rover v8 block needs regular oil changes.
a quick fix is to use a high pressure release spring coupled with a tadpole type valve in the oil pump base. there should be lots available for the buick block but you can also try a peep at the RPI website which has lots of good info: www.v8engines.com

I would avoid a high pressure pump as it will certainly cause rapid oil seal failures as has been said previously

regards to all

Gren
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
No kidding these trucks do tend to leak. With the updated valve covers etc they seal up rather well neither of my 3.9's loose oil. I think the front cover might seep a little. I dont have oil pressure gauges on my trucks and have been wanting to add them to both. It would be interesting to know.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You guys make it sound like a high pressure oil pump puts out 300 psi or something harmful.
It does not. Rover V8s tend to leak not under pressure points, but on mating surfaces (oil pans, valve covers, etc.) Once those leaks are cured they don't sprout under pressure oil leaks in most cases.
A high pressure, or better term, high volume oil pump, will only put out about 10 psi more and the main reason it works well is that it moves more oil (hence the high volume). A by product of moving more oil is slightly increased pressure.
So no, an upgraded puymp won't turn your Rover V8 into a leaky pig anymore than it already is and it is also a good way to boost oil pressure on an engine that has tired guts (large gaps in the bearings). We use them on the higher reving 5.2 liter engines and such to make sure everything stays well lubed.
I will agree that the Rover V8 does need frequent oil changes to stay in top shape, but don't think of a high volume oil pump as something that will cause leaks or blow up the insides of a motor due to too high a pressure. It won't, not a chance, been ther done that all over the place.

Sometimes it seems like because the Rover v8 was made in the Uk people think it is "special". It isn't. In fact it was from a 1960s Buick Special and nearly all the same hot rod stuff you can do to a Buick 455 or a small block Chevy can be done to a Rover v8. The parts are just harder to find.

If you want to see some cool stuff search on what some of the MGB V8 guys do and the old guys with the early Buick 215/300/340s. Its all stuff the Rover guys will tell you can't be done. In most cases because they don't know how to do it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
You guys make it sound like a high pressure oil pump puts out 300 psi or something harmful.
It does not. Rover V8s tend to leak not under pressure points, but on mating surfaces (oil pans, valve covers, etc.) Once those leaks are cured they don't sprout under pressure oil leaks in most cases.
A high pressure, or better term, high volume oil pump, will only put out about 10 psi more and the main reason it works well is that it moves more oil (hence the high volume). A by product of moving more oil is slightly increased pressure.
So no, an upgraded puymp won't turn your Rover V8 into a leaky pig anymore than it already is and it is also a good way to boost oil pressure on an engine that has tired guts (large gaps in the bearings). We use them on the higher reving 5.2 liter engines and such to make sure everything stays well lubed.
I will agree that the Rover V8 does need frequent oil changes to stay in top shape, but don't think of a high volume oil pump as something that will cause leaks or blow up the insides of a motor due to too high a pressure. It won't, not a chance, been ther done that all over the place.

Sometimes it seems like because the Rover v8 was made in the Uk people think it is "special". It isn't. In fact it was from a 1960s Buick Special and nearly all the same hot rod stuff you can do to a Buick 455 or a small block Chevy can be done to a Rover v8. The parts are just harder to find.

If you want to see some cool stuff search on what some of the MGB V8 guys do and the old guys with the early Buick 215/300/340s. Its all stuff the Rover guys will tell you can't be done. In most cases because they don't know how to do it.
Great post! My thoughts are "why"?
Just put something better in. But I'm not a purist. I like the truck for its personality but see no need to keep it stock. I also hear that they all leak. Everyone says that. Mine was a bit abused when I purchased it. It had four seperate leaks. I fixed them all and have been leak free for two years. I still say that it is just plain lazy if you have a leak.
And I love you too
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
I still say that it is just plain lazy if you have a leak.
Oil is cheap, my time is valuable. In truth my rover motors have not been that bad leakers.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mine was rebuilt a few miles back and run's great, no oil leaks at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat