Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oil Cooler Hose Upgrade

This has been bantered about a couple different times here, but I thought I'd share for everyone's edification.

Being a Defender owner who has blown his oil cooler lines before, I never wanted to experience that again. Now I'm doing a 300Tdi swap and wanted to take the opportunity to fix the problem. Now a Tdi doesnt have a a hot exhaust manifold right next to the cooler lines, but I've always been a fan of overkill.

I took the new lines to a local hydraulic hose shop (found with an internet search) and they cut out the rubber hoses and replaced with stainless braided teflon. In the future, if the hoses fail, they can now be replaced separately from the hard lines.

The total cost for both hoses was 93 USD. Most of the cost was welding the new fittings to the hard lines - so if the hoses ever fail, they can be replaced for approximately 25 dollars apiece. This is much preferable to ever buying another hose from Land Rover, since they are more than 100 dollars apiece when you can find a bargain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt Oil Hoses.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1623  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Odd you should mention this, planning on new hoses for mine sometime in the near future.

I was thinking of just using braided stainless hoses with something like Earls annodized fittings, but I DO have a local hydraulic shop that I know of and is capable of doing this kind of work.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Until you do replace, keep the RPMs low. I had this 'upgrade' literally 'on my list' when I blew up revving to 4500/5000 through the gears. More than 3 months later, after the engine bay fire, I got my truck back. And lucky as hell to have a truck at all. Pressure of course increases with RPM, so the lines will fail at higher RPM.

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I inspected the hoses a couple days ago, and they are still in good shape with no visible problems.... but I still want new ones simply to put a known good part in there. Probably when I do the next oil change in a couple weeks.

The more I see Jim's hoses, the more I like the way they look. I might just have to get myself a flare tool finally and do the same on mine.

-Hans

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've added another pic here because the first one doesnt show much detail.

My hoses looked fine before failing, and looked fine afterwards (except for them being covered in oil). The problem is that they fail at operating pressure and look fine when they are unstressed.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the turn-around time was 2 days. Knowing what I know now, I would have just taken my rover off the road for 2-3 days and replaced the lines before it ever became an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt Hose Ends.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1624  
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm thinking with mine to just do a flare fitting on the end and use some Earls hoses and fittings.

Though yours are probably rated quite a lot higher, very nice stuff there Jim and a great idea too.

-Hans

Old October 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I just had mine replaced with stock hoses but added this over the rubber hose and safety wired it on at the ends. That way it will protect the rubber hose from heat. if it does fail the oil will be directed to the ends of the hose and away from the manifold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat