Off Topic sorry, Mountain biking question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

no lock out on the rear shock. I'm going to take it to the shop this week and get the back shocks tightened up a bit. Defender/MTB Day? Im in for that. how about the NYC defender meet up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
NYC meetup details posted in NY meetup thread ... quit my job yesterday so have 2 weeks to play before starting the next!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Congrats Jason!

Cliff, were you fitted at all before buying the bike? Like Dan said, geometry makes a big difference for comfortability and efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Is it a 29er (29in rim), cause that will be a little faster but it requires more power, also the cassete and gears you are using can cause this, try regearing it, also try to lock out the rear shock when on easy trails and lock out both when traveling on road, cause if you pedal on raod with full suspension every time you lose so much power through the shock that it is that much harder to get up to speed, I ride a 05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro (hardtail) and a 08 Specialized FS XC Comp (Full Suspension) (Both 26's) and when the FS XC isnt locked out, the Rockhopper can beat it pretty easily onroad, offroad goes to the FS XC.

BTW the setup of that rear shock is supposedly superior to the horizontal setup, anyone know why?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Where do you guys go bike around NYC? Unfortunately, my D90 is in Florida so when my buddy and I go biking we are usually taking the train up to Peekskill and go around the Blue Mountain Reservation trails. Would be good to know of some other areas though.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krna View Post
Where do you guys go bike around NYC? Unfortunately, my D90 is in Florida so when my buddy and I go biking we are usually taking the train up to Peekskill and go around the Blue Mountain Reservation trails. Would be good to know of some other areas though.
Ahh i used to live in the town next to peekskill where those trails are, they are really nice, PM me if you go there to bike, i'll come meet you, Blue mountain has some really nice trails and such, They are really the only trails i now about, i hear there is some nice trails in Pleasentville and Hawthrone, but i have to wait for winter to end to check them out.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Hard to say why you were lagging behind. It could be a lot of things:

Tire Pressure - with a rig like that Felt - you could go with higher air pressure on mellow trails and let the suspension work a bit more. I run up to 40 psi on my Sinister if it's on the local smooth stuff. Lower if I'm on tech trails in the north.
Rear Shock setup - like it was said before - do the settings match your weight?
Fork setting - same as rear - I'm pretty sure the Pike is adjustable so maybe drop it down for mellow trails. I do that with my Fox 36 and it feels like it makes a big difference especially on climbs.
Pedal choice - what are you running for pedals/shoes? Flats (platforms) can work for tech & tight trail but if you are on something smooth a pair of clipless will transfer more power.
The type of trail - were you on some smooth stuff or rocky terrain? Were your friends smoking you on everything or just the climbs? That Felt looks like a good all-arounder and should have been blasting downhills.
Fitness - have your buddies been riding or even skiiing, playing hockey, etc over the winter? It's early spring so the biking cobwebs need to be cleared out.

Might be worth searching Empty Beer's Felt forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141

A D-90/mtb ride would be really cool. I've used my bike to scout off-road trails before and have tossed the bike on the back of the 90 in case I needed to get out of the woods due to a breakdown. Diablo would be fun - I haven't been in years and I heard they are adding even more stunts there this year.

Forgot to add about the disc brakes like someone else mentioned. They could be dragging and causing some wasted energy. Simply spin the each wheel and use the brakes a few times to see if there is any drag and how bad it is.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Efficiency, I can outride fitter newbies most days simply because I've been at it for more than 20 years and have become pretty efficient. I have a friend who started mountain biking last summer and even though he's much fitter than I am I could easily ride him off my wheel on the climbs and I won't even talk about descending. Chamois time and bike set-up are your best bets for catching your buds. Have fun
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Cliff, bring your bike this Thursday.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
no you don't ...some of it is converted to heat in the shock ... one of bernoullis laws i think.

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2010 06:22 PM ------

I'm think Defenders and MTB day out ....
I stand corrected.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
>Is it a 29er

That's a 700C rim, not 29 inches. Common mistake.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
>Is it a 29er

That's a 700C rim, not 29 inches. Common mistake.
Yeah, but mtb guys call them 29ers. Weirdly the "newest" size out is 650b yet hasn't been name changed to 27.5". Doesn't matter too much as that Felt isn't a 29er.

One of the newer d-90 board members (Alastair) has a lovely 29er that I got to check out at the trails the other day (while he was peeping my 90). He might be able to give more info on 29er's. His bike is like an ECR build for mtn bikes - top friggen notch.

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2010 04:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krna View Post
Like John mentioned, I've heard very good things about Blue Mtn from a riding buddy of mine that really knows his mtn trails. That might be a good place for a D90 mtb ride. Western MA and VT would have both wheeling and riding areas.

I think some NY people head south to NJ for some riding. There is a decent place just off the ferry pretty close to me.

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2010 04:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Me, I ride motorcycle trials mostly and not very well, but it's a 3 hour workout on a Sunday, and I can still get the bike places a LR won't go.
I love watching moto trials. One of the coolest sports out there. The stuff some of those riders can clean would be tough for an Alaskian Mountain Goat.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...t-airport.html

take a gps or someone will find your body in a few years as you can get totally lost!

Given the recent storms I'm guessing most wooded mtb venues are messed up with fallen trees ... need to get the chainsaw out and put it in my backpack!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:26 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

bike is not a 29er, ill bring it thursday. I also did not get a proper fit when i bought it. If anyone has a shock pump and could bring it thursday that would be helpful. I know they are cheap and i will get one shortly, just not before the meet. Thursday weather forecast is 62 and sunny.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I have a shock pump i can bring, bring the manual for the shock and fork if you can.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Congrats Jason!

Cliff, were you fitted at all before buying the bike? Like Dan said, geometry makes a big difference for comfortability and efficiency.
Please please tell me you don't have a mountain bike either horseface?

You guys should do a day in Ringwood. Go to Skyland drive. You can drive the defenders off road there, park up in the woods and do some great rides.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey I am waiting to know if you ride. If you do thats cool. What do you ride?

Do we have bike thread? About to start one
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Ringwood is a nice park. ROVERS do 2 to 3 outings a year up there. Nothing challenging, but its a nice drive, and you can ride bikes too.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah back in 95 or 96 I was biking up there when out of nowhere a bunch of 90s came up behind me with new range rovers. I think it was a dealer thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount