Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 25th, 2015, 11:08 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Off Road training

I'm thinking about doing some training with the wife. The Biltmore is really close to Atlanta and has a LR driving school...

Has anyone taken any of their courses? Basicly, is it worth spending a day or 2 up there? Is there anything comparable on the east cost? I know there are way more options out west for training, but this would have to be a weekend trip so I'm kinda limited to the South East.

We did a lot of the driving courses at the Expo East last year in the 4runner. It was fun and confidence building, but I'm not sure that we did anything there that we couldn't have done on our own.

Any thoughts or recomendations?

the goal is to learn to use the Defender off road, sharpen our skills so we can do some bigger trips.

A big trip out west is in the planning phases for next year and we want to be able to explore some remote areas. Probably won't be in the Defender though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2015, 11:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You could always just try to go to one of the many events that are posted on the forum - the groups and "courses" offered pretty much always range from novices who do not want to break anything to those who are looking to bash some body panels. Virginia may be a little further than you want to go, but I've always had fun down there and all the way up the East Coast.
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I've never done a formal driving school but I've felt the best way to get to know your truck is to get out with a few experienced people and ride. I guarantee your 90 will feel significantly different on the trail than whatever new IFS/IRS Rover they'd put you in. My 90 even feels far different than my old Disco did. A huge part of being a good off highway driver is knowing your vehicle and how it will react with respect to power delivery, suspension articulation, tire grip, and roll center in each situation you encounter.

If you're looking more for recovery classes and standard procedures on the trail a class or clinic at a Rover event I think would suffice.
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2015, 12:00 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
I did the LR school at Biltmore and it was nice, but very basic unless you do beyond the intro course.

I would check out Garrett and OEX. They have a course in Virginia outside Orange.

Off-road driving school. Overland recreational, professional and military training. 4x4 travel. — Overland Experts
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Here is the real deal right across from the Uwharrie National Forest that we have 2 events at yearly. Its about 50 miles east of Charlotte NC. I'm thinking about attending one of the advanced ones. I live in Jonesborough, about 100 miles east of you. If you would like to talk about going up together let me know.

Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center — Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:52 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

There are a handful of us at Old North State that have worked at the driving center or have been asked to, that would be glad to set something up through the club. Also, Bill Burke is an excellent alternative, especially if a couple drivers get together for a semi private lesson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216 View Post

I would check out Garrett and OEX. They have a course in Virginia outside Orange.

Off-road driving school. Overland recreational, professional and military training. 4x4 travel. — Overland Experts
Garrett is also down at Uwharrie doing programs, too.

Beware though, he is a tool....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
JettLag
Craig Jett
None... currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216 View Post
I did the LR school at Biltmore and it was nice, but very basic unless you do beyond the intro course.

Same experience here. I was gifted a Land Rover day session at the Greenbrier and a full day at the Equinox by well meaning folks. Even though I explained I was a bit more advanced, the elements covered were extremely basic.

The Biltmore is great though... if you decide to go, my suggestion is to only do a half day.
1995 Discovery
1995 Range Rover LWB
1997 Defender 90 ST
1999 Range Rover
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Wife and I did the 1/2 day, at Biltmore, last Feb. in our LR3, as I was going out to Expo West in May and Moab and wanted to know what all the gizmos did. It was great and I was very impressed with my car, and the different techniques / and cross uses of the various traction control settings. There were people there in defenders, discos, etc. whatever they owned. 1/2 day was plenty. 45 min. class work and then 4-5 hours on the trails. It had rained a lot last Feb in the mountains, and it was very helpful...
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

There is a LR club there in Knoxville. I forgot details but there are a lot of knowledgeable guys there.

Also you live 8 inches from Windrock. All kinds of excellent wheeling and you can go in there for DAYS. However a day trip would work for you as well.

I got into it by jumping head first into it.
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:24 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
There is a LR club there in Knoxville. I forgot details but there are a lot of knowledgeable guys there.

Also you live 8 inches from Windrock. All kinds of excellent wheeling and you can go in there for DAYS. However a day trip would work for you as well.

I got into it by jumping head first into it.

Thanks Max. We're actually in the process of moving back to Atlanta, but I'll try to squeeze a trip to windrock in this or next weekend.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have been to the Biltmore...twice as a guest - once as a guest instructor for LRNA for offroad recovery with a local company in VA - the trails they ride are very, very, very basic - they are aimed at the urban suburban who bout a $100K truck and was told it can do amazing things. Actually the LRNA courses at your local dealer put the trucks through more challenges.

Like others have said - come to an event, drive your truck...there are excellent people on the trips that will ensure you have a great time, learn a lot, and never get left behind...for a lot less $$$$$$ than the Biltmore.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Just make sure you have a proper front and rear recovery point. A jate ring in the front and a receiver shackle in the rear are pretty cheap.
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:21 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Personal opinion..... Biltmore was no big wooptie deal.....go to one of the posted events and, with real time spotters, learn what your truck can do
Now...a session with Garrett.....or even Twin Mountain.....priceless.....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
off road