NOVA Wrenching Party 3/22 or 3/29 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

So what all did you get done? Sorry I didn't make it, we wound up doing brake pads, lines, and bleeding the system on Ray's truck -- it was too late to head over when we finished.

Big thanks to Greg for the help swapping bumpers today! I think I'm close to figuring out the winch mount (turns out the warn 10K body is too big for a SG bumper in stock configuration. Have switched to a feet down configuration and clearanced the bumper to fit, but still need to line it all up so that I can get the fairlead on. Have fabbed up a cb antenna mount as well that I'll burn onto the bumper in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, J. and Tyler got the most accomplished with the front axle - pulling it, welding on the sewer cap, and putting it back in.

Some guys from OCC were over and got a BB on a JK, and cleaned up a diff cover on another.

Greg ruined a perfectly good front facia, swapped a motor in his winch and mucked around with his dash.

Doug's 110 marked it's territory on my driveway (with mud) and managed to get 1.5 shocks replaced i think :D

Dave was mucking around with the electrics of the driver's side door of his RR, lent us a few tools and had some advise on the build.

A few beers were had, and I personally had a blast.

But on the actually re-gearing and locker install, Loic and I dissembled one third, pressed all the bearings for both setups and played around with the pinion settings. So mostly nowhere

charles
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin

Greg ruined a perfectly good front facia, swapped a motor in his winch and mucked around with his dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Don't tell me that the new console got screwed up . . .
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
All is well, I just had to trim the radiator shroud to fit the winch (and the aluminum shroud too) and that really got Charles' panties in a bunch.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

No more so than every time he'd hear me say oh crap while taking the axle out.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Charles, I left the shop in tysons at about 6:30 pm so I figured it would have been tooooo late to start heading to your place, let's see what next weekend does as far as time and errands.
normally when I set pinion depth I start with a 50,000's shim that normally gives me a very very good base, so is that is where I live it most of the time.
as far as the pre load it is then that I play with a number of combinations until i get it right between 5 and 7 lbs of turning torque, that I measure with a fish scale rather tan a radious torque.
the back lash that gets a little tricky sometimes I do that by feel but most of the time I use a dial indicator ( i spent sometime with transaxle the east coast's largest heavy duty diff and trans rebuilder) so after a while you develop a feel for some mesurements.
allways I double check with an indicator before final torque of caps.
Bill at Great basin rovers has an excellent article on how to set up and build diffs.
also check range rovers dot net they have outstanding write ups, that should give you a bettre idea of where to start whith measuments and steps.
I donot mean to sound condesending towards your knowledge, I simply want to broaden your mind so you get a better understanding of how easy it is to set diffs.(after doing it more than once)
carlos.........
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Carlos

I do think it's pretty simple once you understand it. I'm fine with setting the final carrier backlash with a dial indicator as I have done it before. I think the approach I took with the pinion height is pretty much what you describe and I'll let you know how it goes (but of course I'd always like to understand why the stock measurement didn't jive with the instructions). The remaining issue is the pinion preload. I guess I'll try find a fish scale to measure the torque with. The guide I was following said 7-9 ft lbs which I felt I could measure with my torque wrench but the two shim sizes I tried didn't get me close enough. I do not know if I can get a shim in between 10 and 15 thousands, but that is what I seem to need to get it right.

I haven't seen a writeup on greatbasinrovers.com, but will give Bill a call tomorrow and I am sure he'll sort me out.

I am happy to learn (from you or anyone else) and do it myself in case it sounds like I consider all this a bad thing or a hassle. I figure I'll get it figured out and get them built and installed next weekend. I'm a 2 rover man so it's no big deal.

if anyone is interested in part 2, I'm currently in negotiations with the boss, but it should be this Saturday or Sunday (29th/30th).

charles
p.s. Yes I nearly cried when I saw Greg cut up the shroud. It's just not right! I say get a better bumper - I hear these is an ARB for sale (/me ducks).
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Not one i know, I hope . . .
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I am glad to help, I have worked on rovers since 2000 but have been a tecnician for over 20 yrs profesional plus some 20 or 3 as a shadetree plus aprenticeship.
honestly everyone told me it was a big mistake when i purchased my first rover an 87 rangie all I heard back then were horror stories about their expense I found out that labor is nothing out of this world and that with a little search parts can be located reasonably affordable.
then as their popularity increased I begun to locate local junkyards who had rovers, some of them can be pricey others are affordable and with the benefit of having a commom drivetrain it means that any model part will fit or retrofit onto mine.
interior parts hardly if ever go bad.
currently I own 3 rangies, 95lwb receiving a 4.6 upgrade a 90 county which has been for sale for 2 years and this summer will become my next off road project if not sold ( 5 to 6 inch suspension mod 3 inch body and 33's for a total of 11 to 13 inches of lift) custom built bumpers and sliders and arb's frnt and back with 4.10 gearing.
and my road "offroad" warrior my 87 with 4 inch susp on 31's.
the 90 had an engine swap at 80,000 miles currently it has 120 plus
the 87 is getting a 4.6 with serpentine conversion and a new lt230 this summer.
many of you guys will recognise me when you seem me , up until a year ago I worked at arlington motorcars in rosslyn for about 3 years, things did not work out and I moved to tysons land rover.
at arlington I worked on Clay Ayer's truck also on Tony Brooks' an a few others that skip my mind.
I think they are satisfied customers, they have not mentioned their displeasure with the out come of my labor.
when ever I can be of assistance just say the word, somewhere on the post is my cell no. and my screen name is my email. if I cannot be there fisically I can give you orientation how to proceed with a snag on a job
I have an apartment in annandale because it is close to work but tend to spend the weekinds in catlett at my inlaws, they have a 5 acre farm with a shop and it is there i work on my projects.
I look forward to meeting all of the guys, to hang out, wrench and do a litle wheeling.
carlos...............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nova, part