Non-Land Rover Christmas gift advice. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:03 PM
xxjtvxx
JTVee
01 D2

Non-Land Rover Christmas gift advice.

Hey D90 I am looking for advice for a Christmas gift for my fiance. She is in to cameras. I am happy with my Iphone. She would like something more than a point and shoot. I was thinking something that was featured in a black Friday ad (following links). I am clueless with this stuff so any info is highly appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digi...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://www.adorama.com/ISODSCH200BK.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

I'm partial to my D-90... The name doesn't hurt either

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001ENOZY4

Good luck

Jay
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:44 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I love my Nikon DSLR as well.

Here is a great deal. http://slickdeals.net/f/6496970-niko...-at-amazon-com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:55 PM
xxjtvxx
JTVee
01 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
I love my Nikon DSLR as well.

Here is a great deal. http://slickdeals.net/f/6496970-niko...-at-amazon-com

Thanks guys I was going for high megapixel Sony, since I associate a higher number of megapixels with being better.( Beginner reasoning) I had a couple friends suggest Nikon because lenses are more interchange.
Feel free to correct and educate me.
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Any preference between Nikon and canon? Go with that flow especially if family have extra lens etc.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM
xxjtvxx
JTVee
01 D2

I was recommended Nikon by picture taking friends so I am leaning that way.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm a fan of the Canon T2i with a Tamron 18-270 lens.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 30th, 2013, 11:23 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I bought a Nikon D7000 from Best Buy yesterday, it was a fairly good deal, and I really would love to get into photography, but I can't justify keeping it and will probably take it back.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I still claim to be an amature photographer and used to think bigger was better. I bought a Canon T3i earlier this year and am getting ready to sell it. It's an awesome camera, but with a 30-250mm lens it's a heavy beast lugging everywhere. I am over mirror DSLR cameras. The new mirrorless cameras are just as good. I just picked a Sony NEX6. Nice and light and packed with lots of cool features, and you can change lenses. Don't go for more megapixels unless you need them. Most people will do fine with 12mp or less. Those will produce a quality 36"x48" print. Spending more for higher MPs is a waste, and you're clogging your computer and email.

Semper Fi!
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I've had nothing but trouble with my Nikon and their factory service is miserable. I'd buy Canon or Sony.
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I bought my daughter the Nikon 1 - it comes with the two lenses from the factory, and is an awesome little camera. Most chicks don't want to lug a big DSLR as well as their purse/bag - this fits in the purse/bag.

I looked at the Sony as well, it was up there in features and quality - but I went with Nikon on the simple belief that optics is their A game. They don't make movies of TV's
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Movies are especially fun way to share especially via utube etc.
did a recording with my Canon 60d or is it d60 (!) and the audio from the school's video is worse than I have.
That video is now part of his College App!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I've had a Nikon DSLR for 5 years now and Nikon film SLR's for 20 years prior and haven't had one problem with any of them ever. I'm no pro by any means, a weekender at best, but I regularly carry them with no case around my shoulder for a night in the city at a show, hiking in the woods, or in a case on snowboarding trips, beach etc.. There are issues with any brand but I think Nikon and Canon both will be trouble free, unless you get a lemon or bang it around too much. I've found a mindset over the years, that if you want to carry a DSLR on an outing then shooting photos should be your top (or second) priority. You have to make it that way or lugging the beast is too much of a pita and a phone or point shoot is a better choice.

Getting that out of the way, I think Wolf's advice below is great. Get the smallest cam that still gives the flexibility and modularity of an SLR system that has the features you want within your price range. And yeah, megapixels be damned, low light performance is more important as well as a good lens or two ($$$)
Getting her out with you in a few camera shops to hold, shoot, and feel the cameras will of course be a great way to get her something that she approves of and feels comfortable using (and therefore will use more).
~Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I still claim to be an amature photographer and used to think bigger was better. I bought a Canon T3i earlier this year and am getting ready to sell it. It's an awesome camera, but with a 30-250mm lens it's a heavy beast lugging everywhere. I am over mirror DSLR cameras. The new mirrorless cameras are just as good. I just picked a Sony NEX6. Nice and light and packed with lots of cool features, and you can change lenses. Don't go for more megapixels unless you need them. Most people will do fine with 12mp or less. Those will produce a quality 36"x48" print. Spending more for higher MPs is a waste, and you're clogging your computer and email.
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
Getting that out of the way, I think Wolf's advice below is great. Get the smallest cam that still gives the flexibility and modularity of an SLR system that has the features you want within your price range. And yeah, megapixels be damned, low light performance is more important as well as a good lens or two ($$$)
Getting her out with you in a few camera shops to hold, shoot, and feel the cameras will of course be a great way to get her something that she approves of and feels comfortable using (and therefore will use more).
~Steve
My only gripe was with "multiple" lenses modular approach...it was/is just too much of a pain in the arse to swap them out while you're on the fly. And if you need to carry a couple of lenses then you may as well just get an all-purpose lens. The 18-270 is certainly "bigger" than a standard lens, BUT you never ever miss a shot from afar and for me if I'm going to lug around a camera period then it's not that much of a hassle. Otherwise just iPhone-it and be done with it if you just need something where qualify is not the biggest factor.

But I do agree, low-light is more important...the other thing I/you don't want to be hassled with is lugging around an external flash.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Fixed or prime lens like this cheap 35mm Nikon will allow you to take flash free photos more often. Flash photos generally look like shit unless you have a decent setup and spend time to compose the image.

However if you wife isn't interested in photography I'd get an upmarket point and shoot like the canon G range. Favoring a slightly older model for lower megapixels.

They have enough dials to learn photography and in reality you'll very rarely change the lens after the initial enthusiasm. I shoot 99% of the time with a prime lens. The advantage is you spend time thinking about what's in shot rather than fiddling with the zoom.

If I want to be 'zoomed' I either walk closer or crop the image afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1125021303.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	85157  
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Agreed, carrying multiple lenses firmly plants the task into "pain in the ass" category, unless your sole mission is to be capturing images, where it can add to the fun. I decide on a lens for the day/weekend and bring that one. whether prime or zoom, I ain't carrying multiple lenses. 90% of the time it's the standard 18-105 kit lens. (D-90 kit lens back in the day)

Typically though when someone wants the "step up" camera, it's for lens options, and that's what my assumption was. Being able to zoom in/out opens up a whole new world of photography to someone who's never had that optically, right on the lens, and its an easy/fun step in the creativity direction too. After that the next step is figuring out the shutter/stop/iso triad. (Which fiddling with on an non-SLR is usually a big PITA) I'm sure these days there are quite a few non-slr's that make it easy (dedicated dials/rings) to play with shutter speed/f-stop.

really gotta grill her on why she wants to move to a "big girl" camera.. Then get off to a shop.

But in all honesty she would probably be psyched with either of the Canons above.
~Steve
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Those new mirrorless cameras are real nice. super small but take all the same lenses as the big boys.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Those new mirrorless cameras are real nice. super small but take all the same lenses as the big boys. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details
They take micro 4/3rd lenses which are insanely expensive for a good one and have about as much availability as 110 pumas at LRNA
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Get a Nikon or Canon digital body. Cheap is fine.

Buy an expensive lens. Research the following lenses in the Canon line:

24-70 f/2.8L USM
70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
35mm f/1.4L
85mm f/1.2L
135mm f/2.0L

Expensive, but the photographs will blow your mind.

Flash photography isn't as bad as Jason says. Bounce flash usually looks great, a Gary Fong light diffuser is all the rage with wedding photogs.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I will go a different way and suggest Pentax. Great sensors and bodies. Also, they went from M42 screw mount to bayonet and have not changed. That means, you can run just about any lens you can get your hands on. I have a screw mount M42 55/ 1.7 I regularly use with fantastic results on a modern K7.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice, land rover