Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Fixed or prime lens like this cheap 35mm Nikon will allow you to take flash free photos more often. Flash photos generally look like shit unless you have a decent setup and spend time to compose the image.

However if you wife isn't interested in photography I'd get an upmarket point and shoot like the canon G range. Favoring a slightly older model for lower megapixels.

They have enough dials to learn photography and in reality you'll very rarely change the lens after the initial enthusiasm. I shoot 99% of the time with a prime lens. The advantage is you spend time thinking about what's in shot rather than fiddling with the zoom.

If I want to be 'zoomed' I either walk closer or crop the image afterwards.

I don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread but I've been thinking of getting a decent camera for the snowboard/ski season.

I am looking for something that is easy to keep in the jacket, can take vid, durable, and can take action shots. Add to that a decent lens range so when the kids are surfing or far away I can still get a shot.

You mentioned Canon G series - what about the G15? Not a bad price on it at bestbuy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
You mentioned Canon G series - what about the G15? Not a bad price on it at bestbuy.
Look into the Canon SX280. It has a 20x optical zoom and a very wide setting as well. It's cheap, takes great photos, and 1080p video.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Look into the Canon SX280. It has a 20x optical zoom and a very wide setting as well. It's cheap, takes great photos, and 1080p video.

cool - let me look into that one as well - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
The SX series is nice, but won't hold a candle to the G series durability and image quality. Far less zoom though, so I see your point.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
The SX series is nice, but won't hold a candle to the G series durability and image quality. Far less zoom though, so I see your point.
Don't get me wrong, I also like the G1X because of the big sensor. I'm not so big on the other G-series cameras. I'd get a G1X if I wanted full manual control, wanted to be able to use external flashes, and needed good low-light performance in a P&S.

The reason I mention the SX280 is because my GF bought one cheap at Costco. She brought it along when we went surfing in PR, and the massive zoom made for some great photos.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The lens on the G series is an order of magnitude better ... better in my view is having to use flash less. This results in much more natural looking pictures.

G15/16 is much better than the G1X ... larger sensor and lower megapixel count ( this means more light per pixel -= better photos ) also lens in G15/16 is much better than G1X.

I have a waterproof panasonic lumix for sun and snow situations ... waterproof and rugged. This would be a much better choice than a G series for 'fun' shots.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Camera, sure. Make sure you provide some gold first, or diamond earrings. Then the camera.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Don't get me wrong, I also like the G1X because of the big sensor. I'm not so big on the other G-series cameras. I'd get a G1X if I wanted full manual control, wanted to be able to use external flashes, and needed good low-light performance in a P&S.

The reason I mention the SX280 is because my GF bought one cheap at Costco. She brought it along when we went surfing in PR, and the massive zoom made for some great photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The lens on the G series is an order of magnitude better ... better in my view is having to use flash less. This results in much more natural looking pictures.

G15/16 is much better than the G1X ... larger sensor and lower megapixel count ( this means more light per pixel -= better photos ) also lens in G15/16 is much better than G1X.

I have a waterproof panasonic lumix for sun and snow situations ... waterproof and rugged. This would be a much better choice than a G series for 'fun' shots.

B&H has the G15 for $300 today including a 32GB card. I might just get it as it seems it would be plenty of camera for me and we will need a camera for the upcoming holidays. We haven't had a "nice" camera for sometime.

I remembered my wife bought me a Sony DSC-HX20V last year for X-Mas but the lens stopped working after it's first use. I found the receipt and going to send it back. It has 20x so if I can get it fixed under warranty that might work great for surf shot from the beach. I wasn't so impressed with it as all the pics we took the first use didn't come out that great but could very well be the settings and the user.

That waterproof Lumix is really cool. I have a GoPro Hero 3 that I just got updated today (why do I have such a tough time with cameras?) that works well for stuff at the trails/mtn/water (when it works :rollseyes . Hopefully the firmware update will take care of the issues I've had with it. But that Lumix would be great to pack to the beach, on the boat, on snow, etc.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
For a girl? Get something fashionable: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X20-D...ords=fuji+x100
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

If it has got to be a camera get her a Nikon 1.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice, land rover