No diesel in sight for the US? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
MonLand
Status: Offline
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Herndon, VA - USA
Posts: 1,642
Registry
Unhappy No diesel in sight for the US?

Last night, I guess I got bored and went to the LR web site to ask them:

===============
Based on the latest development regarding gas price and the fact that it looks like they are now two great diesel engine available in Europe, it would be cool if we could get a diesel-V8-powered Land Rover here in the US or the 2007 Defender.
===============

The answer I got threw me off a little.... We already know the Defender (in its current form) will not make it back to the US. But I was definitely hoping that the new diesel engine (which from what I hear would pass the EPA standard as they already exceed the European standard _without_ a catalyzer.....) would make it here.
===============
Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center.

I appreciate your interest in our products. At this time Land Rover does not have any plans to introduce a diesel version of any of our models into the United States. This would require several design and performance changes in order to be compliant with strict U.S. safety and emissions standards. While there are no current intentions of importing diesel vehicles, Land Rover may choose to do so in the future. We do appreciate our customer's enthusiasm regarding a diesel option and I have therefore forwarded your comments to product development for consideration.

Land Rover does not have any plans to re-introduce the Defender model into the United States. This vehicle requires several design and performance changes in order to be compliant with strict U.S. safety and emissions standards. We appreciate our customer's enthusiasm regarding this vehicle and I will therefore forward your comments to product development for consideration. The last year the Defender was offered in the U.S. was 1997.



Have a nice week.
===============

Disappointing to see that LR is moving faster than I ever anticipated to the very high class of the population. Soon, I'll be able to afford a used Range Rover sport, but I was definitely hoping for a diesel version of it!
__________________
Quote:
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Quote:
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Diesels don't sell in the USA so why would LR go to the trouble to offer them?
I love diesels, but fact is they do not sell in the US so LR ain't going to bring them.
Ask any VW place the ratio of diesel sales to gas... its mostly gas.
Diesel guys are crazy about diesels, like me, but most soccer mommys that want an LR3 aren't going diesel.
Until pushed by higher fuel prices that will fuel consumer demand... diesels ain't coming in a Rover to the USA and gas prices are dropping, so there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,226
Registry
In Canada, the diesel to gas ratio for VW cars is around 50%.... I believe it is around 20% in the USA.

Despite that VW is not bringing in any diesel models in 2007. It will kill the Canadian dealerships.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hans's Avatar
Hans
Status: Offline
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,381
Plus, with the new diesel emissions laws taking place for the 2007 model year, a number of diesel engines no longer meet the requirements. Jeep had to stop selling the Liberty Diesel, despite good sales numbers, because the engine is no longer EPA approved. I heard a few pieces that Daimler Chrysler are doing some in-house development on an approved engine, but nothing concrete, all rumors.

-Hans
__________________
My oil line fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
"Ask any VW place the ratio of diesel sales to gas... its mostly gas."

Yes, you pay sticker for a Tdi but get a few grand off a gas model . . . .
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM
Monkeyboy

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Diesels hell, we don't even have a dealer as of Monday

I called LRNA and their response was that Omaha will take care of us

I wouldn't take a little red wagon to those guys
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM
MonLand
Status: Offline
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Herndon, VA - USA
Posts: 1,642
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
gas prices are dropping, so there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Wait until election time is over! ;-)
__________________
Quote:
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Quote:
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Wait until election time is over! ;-)
100% agreed!
They gotta keep those oil guys rich so you know we'll get screwed.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
snuffer's Avatar
snuffer
Status: Offline
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa Ok USA
Posts: 753
Oh yeah, Bush gets up every morning, looks at the price of gas/oil on his computer, and then with a few keystrokes sets it at what ever price he would like for the day.

So everyone gets torqued off at gas prices, decide it's the party in powers' fault and votes them out.

How much sense does that make?
__________________
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
Monkeyboy

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No, that's Carl & Dick's job
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Hans's Avatar
Hans
Status: Offline
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,381
Hey, anything is possible. After all, Georgie boy also personally blew up the levee's in New Orleans and I hear he worked the remote control for the fake airplanes on 9/11.

(tongue firmly in cheek on this one)
__________________
My oil line fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Hey, anything is possible. After all, Georgie boy also personally blew up the levee's in New Orleans and I hear he worked the remote control for the fake airplanes on 9/11.

(tongue firmly in cheek on this one)
Oh come on,

Everybody knows that Dick Cheney sent Halliburton to blow up the levee's because Dick hates Black people. All George Bush did was start the hurricane with a new secret weapon powered by dead baby seals.

Get it right....geez.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Oh yeah, Bush gets up every morning, looks at the price of gas/oil on his computer, and then with a few keystrokes sets it at what ever price he would like for the day.

So everyone gets torqued off at gas prices, decide it's the party in powers' fault and votes them out.

How much sense does that make?
That why gas prices are going down prior to the mid-term elections.
If you don't think Bush has big oil money on his mind you are a insane.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
KevinNY's Avatar
KevinNY
Status: Offline
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Guilderland,NY
Posts: 1,460
And we though you were smarter than that.
__________________
'73 SeriesIII coiler,"The Goat", Daihatsu 2.8TD,Santana,Ashcroft,ARB's,etc., now SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
That why gas prices are going down prior to the mid-term elections.
If you don't think Bush has big oil money on his mind you are a insane.

Can you tell me specifically just how any one human can affect the price of crude oil when it is traded on the futures market? Or better yet, can you tell me how many independent investigations have been commissioned on price fixing in the oil industry? I'll give you a hint, more the 30. Guess what, they all say that the price of oil is........dictated by the futures market!

These baseless conspiracy theories are just plain annoying at this point. If you want to hate George Bush, at least do it for a legitimate reason, like his complete failure to secure our borders.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
So you don't think the oil company lobbyists have any pull with the US government (George Bush) and you don't think the the Bush administration listens to their needs/desires?
I think you are insane, but to each his own. There are a ton of folks who think Bush is great, go for it.

When someone says George Bush it means the Bush administration. Taking it lietrally to mean "one man" is idiotic. That would be like saying George Bush and Geroge Bush (the man) alone runs the USA and does each and every job required to run his administration. Get real.

So "The Bush administrations" policies on oil and their tapping into US oil reserves, that in turn drive aspects of the futures market, has no bearing on oil and gas prices?
Only about 95% of the free thinking world disagree with you there.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
snuffer's Avatar
snuffer
Status: Offline
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa Ok USA
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
So you don't think the oil company lobbyists have any pull with the US government (George Bush) and you don't think the the Bush administration listens to their needs/desires?
I think you are insane, but to each his own. There are a ton of folks who think Bush is great, go for it.

When someone says George Bush it means the Bush administration. Taking it lietrally to mean "one man" is idiotic. That would be like saying George Bush and Geroge Bush (the man) alone runs the USA and does each and every job required to run his administration. Get real.

So "The Bush administrations" policies on oil and their tapping into US oil reserves, that in turn drive aspects of the futures market, has no bearing on oil and gas prices?
Only about 95% of the free thinking world disagree with you there.

So his administration has tapped into the reserves to get oil prices down for election time? And we have all already forgotten what oil prices were like a couple of months ago? I'm really impressed with what his administration has done with the stock market, over 12K. Gimme a break.

Would you like to see the oil industry regulated even more by good ole Uncle Sam? Would you like to see Rover repair shops regulated even more by good ole Uncle Sam?

Like I have said here before, if you like the US Postal Service, IRS, and welfare, you're gonna love Hillary's socialized medicine.
__________________
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
MattGuyver_007's Avatar
MattGuyver_007
Status: Offline
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Castle Rock, CO USA
Posts: 159
Thumbs up

Michael Savage... give the 'Savage Nation' a try. I'm sure you'll love it
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
thewap's Avatar
thewap
Status: Offline
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Highmount, NY
Posts: 834
Registry
Bush family=oil, Cheney=Haliburton, Rice=mistress??, (sorry folks), but as far as I am concerned, I don't give a damn who's Rep. or Dem. But one thing is for sure, I have lived long enough to be real tired of oil, oil issues, related politics, and related wars. If you want to "save" people from the tortures of dictators, let's invade Africa and China.
This is an oil war there is no doubt about it. Iraq has more untapped oil underneath it's sand, than the Saudis.

Does Bush control oil prices? probably not. Does his cabinet control prices? probably not. Does the oil cartel and associated supporters of the Bush admistration control prices ( or use tactics to affect the price of oil) of course. We have seen it before. Do these people get benefits from having the Bush admistration in office? Of course, we have seen it before. Would they rig the market to lower gas prices when Republicans office is in geopardy?. Of course, we have seen that before. Does the Bush administration profit from this, of course it does.

The oil cartel is not an imaginary boogie man.They control the world, without them and oil we are screwed. Most un-American IMO. Monopoly is constitutionaly illegal.The cartel and their influences would have everyone believe that any other type of fuel is not "economically viable.I'm sure that the change from horse and buggy to petrol engine cars and the distribution of fuel, was not an "economically viable solution" in the old days. But it was Progress. It was worth it. We took risks, we led the way. Now, the only thing we hear is that progress is NOT worth it. We are still using archeaic technology. The catalyst engine is the ONLY technology that has not progressed for almost a hundred years.

Other countries are converting to LPG, and alternate fuels in the private market. Why don't we? because it's not economicaly viable we say. For now that is...big money to spend,and the ruination of the oil companies.
No vision + no progress = no future. Most un-American IMO. America needs leaders..into the future. Not Cartel minded good old boys club politicians bullsh.ters.

Yes oil is king, just as Cotton was King, which was the underlying cause of the Civil war. I don't love any of them..the politicians. If you want a love affair with Bush, or with Hillary, or with Fritz the Cat, thats your business. (If you love Jesus, then don't involve him in politics). All I know is that we need a change, a real look to the future (not the immediate), and we need leadership for that.

We have no leadership, we Americans are in trouble. We need to wake up!, it's not Bush vs Bonehead or vice versa.
It's all about control and the infringement of our rights, our intelligence, our visions, our united front, and our creativity, ie; our Americanism. WE must demand more than vicious rhetoric, scandals, and propanganda.

How do we do that?

ROVERS UNITE!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
tkavan01's Avatar
tkavan01
Status: Offline
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minden, NV
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Bush family=oil, Cheney=Haliburton, Rice=mistress??, (sorry folks), but as far as I am concerned, I don't give a damn who's Rep. or Dem. But one thing is for sure, I have lived long enough to be real tired of oil, oil issues, related politics, and related wars. If you want to "save" people from the tortures of dictators, let's invade Africa and China.
This is an oil war there is no doubt about it. Iraq has more untapped oil underneath it's sand, than the Saudis.

Does Bush control oil prices? probably not. Does his cabinet control prices? probably not. Does the oil cartel and associated supporters of the Bush admistration control prices ( or use tactics to affect the price of oil) of course. We have seen it before. Do these people get benefits from having the Bush admistration in office? Of course, we have seen it before. Would they rig the market to lower gas prices when Republicans office is in geopardy?. Of course, we have seen that before. Does the Bush administration profit from this, of course it does.

The oil cartel is not an imaginary boogie man.They control the world, without them and oil we are screwed. Most un-American IMO. Monopoly is constitutionaly illegal.The cartel and their influences would have everyone believe that any other type of fuel is not "economically viable.I'm sure that the change from horse and buggy to petrol engine cars and the distribution of fuel, was not an "economically viable solution" in the old days. But it was Progress. It was worth it. We took risks, we led the way. Now, the only thing we hear is that progress is NOT worth it. We are still using archeaic technology. The catalyst engine is the ONLY technology that has not progressed for almost a hundred years.

Other countries are converting to LPG, and alternate fuels in the private market. Why don't we? because it's not economicaly viable we say. For now that is...big money to spend,and the ruination of the oil companies.
No vision + no progress = no future. Most un-American IMO. America needs leaders..into the future. Not Cartel minded good old boys club politicians bullsh.ters.

Yes oil is king, just as Cotton was King, which was the underlying cause of the Civil war. I don't love any of them..the politicians. If you want a love affair with Bush, or with Hillary, or with Fritz the Cat, thats your business. (If you love Jesus, then don't involve him in politics). All I know is that we need a change, a real look to the future (not the immediate), and we need leadership for that.

We have no leadership, we Americans are in trouble. We need to wake up!, it's not Bush vs Bonehead or vice versa.
It's all about control and the infringement of our rights, our intelligence, our visions, our united front, and our creativity, ie; our Americanism. WE must demand more than vicious rhetoric, scandals, and propanganda.

How do we do that?

ROVERS UNITE!
I think you need to replace cartel with the word OPEC, they are the true cartel...

I wish i could boy cott oil products like i do diamonds ( my wife's engagement diamond came from the canada mines) we won't ever buy another diamond, except maybe one of those new grown diamonds which are better then the real thing... bc they certainly support a monopoly and a blood conflicts. the problem we have here in america is the ultra wealthy can move things however they want, give me a billion dollars and i'm willing to bet i can my next door neighbor elected president, of course he'd have to agree to be a puppet to the puppet masters we call the democrats or republicans...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, ht

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More on diesel / manual conversions Delta95 Defender Technical Discussions 37 September 4th, 2008 11:31 AM
Ex-MOD 2.5 diesel 90 EndlessEarth4WD Misc. Chit-Chat 18 January 26th, 2006 01:34 PM
Can you fab a diesel exhaust like a V8 exhaust? solihul Defender Technical Discussions 8 September 7th, 2005 04:09 PM
Defender 90 diesel engine and Electronics? x0054 Defender Technical Discussions 1 July 30th, 2005 10:43 PM
shop going under, diesel engines artm Defender Technical Discussions 0 May 12th, 2005 04:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Copyright