Nitrile gloves - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Nitrile gloves

So I have been pretty happy with using gloves for the first time while working on a vehicle. I silently snickered at any man who had them in their tool kit, but I have to say its pretty nice. I like that that grease and grime actually wipes off the gloves pretty well so you aren't always changing them. And the harbor freight ones hold up pretty well to most any job or task. Only thing I don't like is the existing wounds on the hands that the gloves seem to provide the perfect incubator conditions for nasties. I imagine if your hands aren't already cut up it's a null issue lol.

Pete

On a side note. Do you need to buy a whole new brake pedal box if you want the bigger auto brake pedal? Previous owner left in the slave cylinder, unbolted btw so it made a terrible noise on the dirt roads. And while taking the brake box off to get the slave cylinder out I thought now might be a good time to get the proper brake pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you do disposable 6mil-ish?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Yea they were the 5 mil. Brake fluid, brake clean, nothing got through them. Pretty impressed. I will for sure be putting a few pairs in all the cars for those unexpected flat changes. Pretty impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've been putting off the glove thing for awhile too, but was thinking may give them a shot.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
There's nothing to snicker at. Absorbing chemicals through your skin doesn't make you cool, unless it's LSD and you're in the 1960's

I try to use gloves most of the time. The blue ones seem better. I use the mechanix gloves alot too.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Yea that's kind of what got me thinking. Hard to tell these days though, I know lots of retired mechanics and they are all cancer free, but then some people get it for no reason. But either way who knows what kind of birth defects and other ailments that chit gives you. We've even gone organic! Tastes good though.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I use them all the time. Partly because I don't like absorbing chemical and ground-in grime, but also so that I can have clean hands in an instant when I need to assemble clean parts, work around the paint, touch the steering wheel etc. i dont worry about conserving them and can go through five or more sets per day if Im working for awhile. Some are better than others and the difference is worth the few extra bucks per box.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
There's nothing to snicker at. Absorbing chemicals through your skin doesn't make you cool, unless it's LSD and you're in the 1960's

I try to use gloves most of the time. The blue ones seem better. I use the mechanix gloves alot too.
I'm sort of laughing because it was you that once told me to taste a leak to see if it was coolant or brake fluid.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I use them to do some gross dishes sometimes, too. Especially after using a crock pot. Use them when cutting vegetables then chicken (or vice versa) so that I'm not constantly washing my hands. May sound odd, but it's worked for me. I have a box of them in my garage, a box in my truck, and a box in my kitchen cabinet.

When re-packing bearings they're pretty much a must; the grease slides right off of them, plus it's not sticking on your hands.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
While I rarely visit the Home Depot store, I was in there a couple weeks go and picked up a sample pack of the black "Grease Monkey" brand gloves. I click on the like button on the D-90 Forum.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I use them to do some gross dishes sometimes, too. Especially after using a crock pot. Use them when cutting vegetables then chicken (or vice versa) so that I'm not constantly washing my hands. May sound odd, but it's worked for me. I have a box of them in my garage, a box in my truck, and a box in my kitchen cabinet.

When re-packing bearings they're pretty much a must; the grease slides right off of them, plus it's not sticking on your hands.
Yea I was super happy with that. I just redid all the fronts and it was a pleasant task using the gloves. Its also neat not seeing your fingerprints for a week after working on the truck.

That's a good idea on the kitchen, I hate having to wash constantly as well.

Pete
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I started playing guitar again about a year ago and that's when I got serious about keepin my hands grease free. Plus now that I'm using gloves when wrenching all the door knobs in the house are much cleaner too!

Now if they could make shoe covers so I stop tracking in 90wt and metal shavings. I could always try listening to swmbo and take off my dang shoes when I come in!

Daniel
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I usually only use gloves when packing wheel bearings, or when I have to touch customers tires that have been covered in homie shine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat