Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I cant wrap my mind around $1600 for a frame swap. Working from the assumption that most every shop is $85--125 hr that's thinking he can do the job in 14-20 hrs ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
My concern at this point would be the quality of work, not how long it takes. Waiting a really long time but having it done right is one thing. A really long wait & sub-par workmanship is entirely another...
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I cant wrap my mind around $1600 for a frame swap. Working from the assumption that most every shop is $85--125 hr that's thinking he can do the job in 14-20 hrs ?

YEP - this was the big red flag. I think the vehicle owner AND the shop have probably never attempted any repairs like this to even contemplate that a frame swap would take 3 days or so. I dont even think it could be done in that amount of time if you threw 10 blokes at it. At some point you get in the way of others.

No matter though - the owner is getting a screaming deal if that is all you are paying - i would say hound him to get it done, and laugh all the way to the bank.
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 10:27 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Ed's advice: Get your truck, galvy frame, and all your parts, and take them home from the garage. Worst case you're out $1600. Best case they refund your money.

Caveat: I'm an insane, stupid, idiotic man. My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:36 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Maybe it's time to convert to auto
Blasphemy!
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Ed's advice: Caveat: I'm an insane, stupid, idiotic man. My advice is worth what you paid for it.
^^^Signature worthy Ed....signature worthy^^^
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:41 AM
hoxie173
Matt Hawkes
1959 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
I don't have anything useful to add to this thread but. 3 years ago I took on a chassis swap on my 110sw. I started with some bulkhead rust repair which took two weeks. Then moved on to the chassis replacement which took six weeks. I do not and have not worked in the automotive field and I do not have a lift. Suspension wise everything was replaced with new and I converted it from rhd to lhd! All this while working 40hr per week for income and wrenching nights and weekends! Best of luck to you!
Any pics?
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

^^^Signature worthy Ed....signature worthy^^^
i should get a tattoo!
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Blasphemy!
If you can't remember how to novel your stick,.....
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There's a fine line between shopping for good value and looking to get something for below market. So many people think they are too clever to pay full price. Sure, lots of people pay full price or more and still get screwed over, but when you've bargained something down super low or gotten someone to radically under bid a job, you don't have much leverage left for the remainder of the transaction. This is probably Pendy's biggest problem - he charges too damned little. Then if things drag out, you don't want to beat him up because he's taking care of you on price and probably did three other cool things for you gratis along the way.

I'm not trying to claim the OP is a bastard, but this is pretty good example of a self-inflicted wound. Frame swaps are big projects, like getting kitchen remodeled etc. You need to understand what is going on, be there to make some decisions, and have a certain level of involvement. Most often, paying full price from an established pro is the most economical thing you can do.

Old May 28th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
regardless, if an agreement is made and a professional takes on a job and then takes the customer's money, I see it as the professional's responsibility to set clear expectation and communications on quality, timing and progress. communications, or better said as setting a client expectations is what in my opinion sets apart the good shops from the bad. Taking a customers money, then never communicating progress or keeping a client's expectations managed so they aren't in a constant state of worry about if they are being taken for a ride, makes all the difference.

I think if a shop offers a low ball prices and then takes money, they should say upfront, it may take a while, as we're working on it between jobs as time allows. And then keep the customer up to date.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

You guys are both 100% right.

How do we prevent this sort of situation from happening again? Or are we destined to read these sorts of posts every few months, every time some new guy thinks they are clever by finding random dudes who estimate unrealistically low prices and then get angry when the shop, unsurprisingly, can't deliver?
Old May 29th, 2016, 03:03 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
You guys are both 100% right. How do we prevent this sort of situation from happening again? Or are we destined to read these sorts of posts every few months, every time some new guy thinks they are clever by finding random dudes who estimate unrealistically low prices and then get angry when the shop, unsurprisingly, can't deliver?
Walter Mitty will continue to post periodically.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
If it seems too goo to be true, probably is.

Especially when it comes to the cost of anything on a Landrover.
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:01 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
If it seems too goo to be true, probably is. Especially when it comes to the cost of anything on a Landrover.
There are a lot of us that at some point or another learn that the hard way.

I've had my fair share.
Old May 29th, 2016, 03:44 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
There's a fine line between shopping for good value and looking to get something for below market. So many people think they are too clever to pay full price. Sure, lots of people pay full price or more and still get screwed over, but when you've bargained something down super low or gotten someone to radically under bid a job, you don't have much leverage left for the remainder of the transaction. This is probably Pendy's biggest problem - he charges too damned little. Then if things drag out, you don't want to beat him up because he's taking care of you on price and probably did three other cool things for you gratis along the way.

I'm not trying to claim the OP is a bastard, but this is pretty good example of a self-inflicted wound. Frame swaps are big projects, like getting kitchen remodeled etc. You need to understand what is going on, be there to make some decisions, and have a certain level of involvement. Most often, paying full price from an established pro is the most economical thing you can do.
Well said... here here and all that!

Quote:
There are a lot of us that at some point or another learn that the hard way.

I've had my fair share.
Pendy is a good guy that I haven't spoken to in years, but I think he is trying hard to run a first class workshop.
He has gone out of his way to help quite a few people here, me included when auto diesel fine tuning was a new thing to me years ago.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:30 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Well said... here here and all that! Pendy is a good guy that I haven't spoken to in years, but I think he is trying hard to run a first class workshop. He has gone out of his way to help quite a few people here, me included when auto diesel fine tuning was a new thing to me years ago.
Pendy is a great guy. He was fixing what someone else screwed up. I gave him carte blanche on time but expected a year or two. I had all but forgotten time in 2013 when I realized, "damn, he's had it for six years." That's when I started paying visits.

And seeing how the Disco was my only vehicle, I had bought another vehicle as a temp replacement.

My real gripe is the guy in Canada that took my money and did a hack job as if it was going to be bashed off road.

Pendy even told me that I was lucky to have made it home driving it from Canada let alone the few months I did drive it.

Just a side bar note: when I arrived in Canada and saw my engine for the first time, I saw that the crate had been opened and the Canuck had cannibalized my new from factory engine to get another guy back in the road.

I should have driven off then. So really it's all my fault and I'm saturated with regret from the very start.

I should have taken the 20 grand and bought a Defender.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:54 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
You guys are both 100% right.

How do we prevent this sort of situation from happening again? Or are we destined to read these sorts of posts every few months, every time some new guy thinks they are clever by finding random dudes who estimate unrealistically low prices and then get angry when the shop, unsurprisingly, can't deliver?
In my other alter-ego's world of rallying, our frame-off equivalent is having a cage built for your car. We see crap cages all of the time that need to be cut out, redone, etc.

I ended up making a map with user submissions where people have received quality work. The community uses it as a reference and have gotten things added and removed by contacting me. For example, you can see it here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...e1cjTjlJ8oJ0o8

It would be "easy" if someone else wanted to make a map like this and own it and maintain it.
Old May 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Pendy is a great guy...
Agreed. Hope it works out.
Regarding your engine... you can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure... being screwed may be the hold up for Pendy if the engine is beyond repair, but assuming you won't know until you see him.

Quote:
I should have taken the 20 grand and bought a Defender.
That would have been great, but they were few and far almost made of unobtainium back then.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post

Agreed. Hope it works out.
Regarding your engine... you can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure... being screwed may be the hold up for Pendy if the engine is beyond repair, but assuming you won't know until you see him.

That would have been great, but they were few and far almost made of unobtainium back then.
it's not just Luis as a one off. there are others waiting in long overdue projects. something is going on with Pendy. I dont know how he's paying the bills unless he's prioritizing something else. who's heard from him lately?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, advice