Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRoverGuy View Post
No.

I'm also hoping it turns out well. One thing I should say is that the owner of the shop is a nice guy. He's been apologetic and friendly. I just feel like my patience has been taken advantage of, and my reason for expressing frustration here on this forum is to gain the insight of others, all of which is appreciated.

Certainly I didn't meant to imply any intent to "lawyer up" and put a small business in a bad position.
Patience?????????????????????

You been waiting 12 weeks!

I know people who have been waiting 12 years for someone to do a frame off.
Add a zero before the decimal to your cost and it world not be entirely unreasonable depending on what other work is needed...

Also I know of frame off jobs being done "quickly" in 10 - 12 months.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:31 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRoverGuy View Post
No.

I'm also hoping it turns out well. One thing I should say is that the owner of the shop is a nice guy. He's been apologetic and friendly. I just feel like my patience has been taken advantage of, and my reason for expressing frustration here on this forum is to gain the insight of others, all of which is appreciated.

Certainly I didn't meant to imply any intent to "lawyer up" and put a small business in a bad position.
Just cause he's a nice guy and friendly doesn't mean he's WAY over his head, or that he's not going to continue to take advantage of you.

Get your head wrapped around this fact... it's not going to end well. Pull the plug, rescue your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Just cause he's a nice guy and friendly doesn't mean he's WAY over his head, or that he's not going to continue to take advantage of you.

Get your head wrapped around this fact... it's not going to end well. Pull the plug, rescue your truck.
When trust is lost its time to pull stakes, nice guy or not. It isn't personal, its business.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:17 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Patience????????????????????? You been waiting 12 weeks! I know people who have been waiting 12 years for someone to do a frame off. Add a zero before the decimal to your cost and it world not be entirely unreasonable depending on what other work is needed... Also I know of frame off jobs being done "quickly" in 10 - 12 months.
12 years?!?!
You mean I have 3 more years to go before I break the record?
Pendy has had mine for 9 years just rebuilding it.
I keep wondering if it survives all the tornados.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
12 years?!?! You mean I have 3 more years to go before I break the record? Pendy has had mine for 9 years just rebuilding it. I keep wondering if it survives all the tornados.
You keep passively bringing this up. Mind sharing the actual story.

Rather hear the story once and for all instead of the comments about him that kinda casts doubt on his reputation and kinda doesn't. Just be up front or stop the passive aggressive nonsense.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:43 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You keep passively bringing this up. Mind sharing the actual story. Rather hear the story once and for all instead of the comments about him that kinda casts doubt on his reputation and kinda doesn't. Just be up front or stop the passive aggressive nonsense.
Quote:
You keep passively bringing this up. Mind sharing the actual story. Rather hear the story once and for all instead of the comments about him that kinda casts doubt on his reputation and kinda doesn't. Just be up front or stop the passive aggressive nonsense.
It's the 2.8 that I had Stephen Cahill in Canada install back in 07 in my D1.
It blew apart just 7 months after installation.

Pendy took it on to make it right. That was in late 07. I know that he is good at what he does, hence he is called the Jedi master of LR diesels.

We got all the needed parts to do the job including fixing what Cahill messed up.

I thought maybe a few months. But the stalling and the delays in the progress started.

I was silent for many years allowing him to do his job unhurried. I've even been up there to check on things.

The amount of deterioration of my vehicle has left me frustrated and upset. It's like it's abandon. I've even had to buy a new set of tires due to dry rot just so he could roll it around.

I'm now becoming more vocal along with others in a similar situation that I have found through networking.

I've been advised to go with a trailer and seize the damn thing.

Nothing against his quality of work. Heck, he is even generous. He has done favors for me and gifted me free stuff.

But 9 years? Come on! Give me a reason for continued patience.

I've made arrangements to go there in June and pick it up. I'll have someone else finish it.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

One key question to any shop when visiting them for this kind of work is seeing them do exactly the work you want when you are there. The FB shop looks like a fabrication type of shop for rollcages, Motoracing etc. If they have never done a LR frame over, well, they are learning on you. As for the truck being in pieces, go see.
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
It's the 2.8 that I had Stephen Cahill in Canada install back in 07 in my D1. It blew apart just 7 months after installation. Pendy took it on to make it right. That was in late 07. I know that he is good at what he does, hence he is called the Jedi master of LR diesels. We got all the needed parts to do the job including fixing what Cahill messed up. I thought maybe a few months. But the stalling and the delays in the progress started. I was silent for many years allowing him to do his job unhurried. I've even been up there to check on things. The amount of deterioration of my vehicle has left me frustrated and upset. It's like it's abandon. I've even had to buy a new set of tires due to dry rot just so he could roll it around. I'm now becoming more vocal along with others in a similar situation that I have found through networking. I've been advised to go with a trailer and seize the damn thing. Nothing against his quality of work. Heck, he is even generous. He has done favors for me and gifted me free stuff. But 9 years? Come on! Give me a reason for continued patience. I've made arrangements to go there in June and pick it up. I'll have someone else finish it.
That sucks. Probably should go trailer it home. Lots of people on here in sure can take it on and get it done quickly.
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
one key question to any shop when visiting them for this kind of work is seeing them do exactly the work you want when you are there. The fb shop looks like a fabrication type of shop for rollcages, motoracing etc. If they have never done a lr frame over, well, they are learning on you. As for the truck being in pieces, go see.
amen!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:05 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
That sucks. Probably should go trailer it home. Lots of people on here in sure can take it on and get it done quickly.
It does suck because he is a really good guy that knows his shiot.

One of his problems I believe is he takes on too much work for a one man shop.

But I have been patient for a long time because like me, he has been going through some live challenges. So I tend to be forgiving.

But I've finally worn down and I'm tired of missing SCARR and missing over landing.

I've nearly forgotten how to drive a stick off road. I might even have to learn to drive a stick on road all over again.
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:45 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
OK, thats just plain dumb. -Jeff
I'm kidding. I know that humor doesn't transmit as well through the Internet.

I'm saying because it's been so long since I've driven it.
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

9 years? I know you have no mechanical skills but you sure could have learned something and attempted fixing it yourself. Hell, you could have gotten a BS, MS and Phd in mechanical engineering in less time.
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:59 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I've thought of that.

One of my problems is usually when I work on something, it usually ends up costing me more when the shop has to fix what I already tried to fix.

My talents are for simple things. Fluids, hoses, water pumps, carburetors, etc.
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

A lot of solid advice here. I think $20k is actually a good price to do it correctly. This shop offered to do it basically for free so if it's taking longer than expected what's to complain about? I think you should do it yourself though. Take it home and work on it on evenings & weekends.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:30 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I think you should do it yourself though. Take it home and work on it on evenings & weekends.
And learn invaluable knowledge about your Defender...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
9 years to repair a blown up motor??

You have got to call it a day.

I suspect there is more going on than just being a busy one man shop.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I am beginning to feel pretty good about my 5 year chassis swap and rebuild on the Series III based on all these time frames being discussed.

I don't suppose you met the other owners the shop did chassis swaps on? I would want to see the quality of work and get the owners opinion if this (chassis swap) is a new venture for the shop. I would assume these other owners would be local to you.
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:41 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I don't have anything useful to add to this thread but. 3 years ago I took on a chassis swap on my 110sw. I started with some bulkhead rust repair which took two weeks. Then moved on to the chassis replacement which took six weeks. I do not and have not worked in the automotive field and I do not have a lift. Suspension wise everything was replaced with new and I converted it from rhd to lhd! All this while working 40hr per week for income and wrenching nights and weekends! Best of luck to you!
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
I'm kidding. I know that humor doesn't transmit as well through the Internet. I'm saying because it's been so long since I've driven it.
Maybe it's time to convert to auto

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, advice