Newbie w/ questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Deanger
Dean G

Post Newbie w/ questions

I've always loved the D-90's and the 110's for that matter. THinking of taking the plunge. I can't stand you can't get these cars in the US new, on the other hand that means you can turn it into a project.

I was leaning towards the D-90 hardtop wagon, but would love to hear thoughts or been given places to look for more research on doing this right.

Sure you guys get this every now and then, and I've done some searching, but would appreciate any thoughts. Is there a year I should avoid? Etc..

Also, how do you all feel about the new RR as compared to classics like the D-90?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
You got a 959?!?! Cant really compare the D-90 to the new RR as I think they are 2 totally different cars. D-90 is more of a utilitarian working truck the RR is super luxo. D-90 isnt very comfortable its noisy etc. I have the Station Wagon i love it. THe positives outweigh the negatives with the Defender, I wouldnt get rid of mine unless i really had too. As with Rovers in general they need attention and if they dont get the required attention they become expensive. If you want the SW 95 and 97 are the only years this configuration was availible. there were a handful of similar configured 94's called the port of entry hard top. They didnt have the roll up windows or the side opening back door. All the D-90's are desirable some of the 94's had the trouble prone transmission but many were replaced at the dealer. The transmission you want has the reverse down and to the far right. 94 and 95 had manual tranmissions and a 3.9 V8. All 97's had a 4.0 and a automatic. Both are good but I think the 4.0 had a few more electronics in addition to a distrubitorless ignition. There are a few D-90 related sites on the www. I think this and the yahoo D-90 group are the best on the web. Just read around they are pretty simple trucks. hope you get one soon. there is a site www.lrfaq.org they have a good D-90 section. What do you plan to do with your D-90 should you aquire one?
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Deanger
Dean G

Thanks for the info. I'd want to hit the trails with the D-90. My friend has a Rubicon Jeep and we've had some fun with it. Was thinking about getting one of those but have always admired the D-90. Have heard the Discovery had automatic tranny problems that may also been seen in the '97 D-90. Seems like a D-90 should be a manual to me, though I could be convinced otherwise. I wonder if all that kit talk is real or rumor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The kit is real, whether or not it is a good decision for you is another thing. Might be. I am in So Cal too, hope you get one so we can meet on the trails!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:41 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nothing wrong with the ZF transmission. If I were you, I would try driving an automatic on the trail, then try manual. Jeep, rover, whatever, you as the driver need to know whether you want the manual or auto. Myself, I went with the '97 explicitly for the auto box. One less thing for me to focus on while riding down the trail.

Old January 6th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Dean,

Where in So Cal. I'm in Irvine if you want to check out a 97ST. I agree with Phillip. When my friends ask me how I like my car I tell them it's noisy, expensive, sucks gas, leaks when it rains, and cold. I then quickly end with I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

I did a ton of research and went with the 97 because I like the auto due to the amount of driving I do on the local freeways. Also, how can you live in Southern California and not get a soft top. Just doesn't seem right. The D-90ST was made for So Cal.

As far as problems go, I would just look for one that has been propoerly maintained. If you find this you can't really go wrong no matter what year/color/configuration. The only other advice I would give is don't settle for the first one you find. I looked for over a year and I am glad I did b/c I found the perfect one for me.

Joe
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Check www.lrx.com for vehicles for sale. Choose NAS Defender, all years. You will spend lots of money, but get it all back in fun on the trails! There will be a bunch of Rovers -- Defenders, Classics, Discos at the Corva Truckhaven Poker Run on the 17th. Check www.sclr.org for details. Camp is at 'Uno Palm'.
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Doug,

You going to truck Haven over Superstition?!!? Come on man!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

David,

Superstition? Guess I'm not on the mailing list. Where, who and when?

DW
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Dean, I chose the '97 hard top wagon, limited Edition willow green in color with all the right gear factor fitted. It has a nicer interior, automatic tranny, the 4.0 engine and is what I consider the best appointed Defender sold in the US, and the last.

Have a couple of friends with the new RR, and last time we towed a bunch of bikes to the desert, I suggested to him that he tear off his front air dam and get some real tires. He said with zero doubt, "Never." I think that sets the stage for the difference of the NRR to something like a Defender or RR Classic. I'd love one for trips to Whole Foods.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Doug,

Superstition Run is held by the San Diego 4 Wheelers every Jan. This year the 16th and 17th. It is HUGE. I will be there and there is a chance Billster and KC will show. It is kinda close to Truckhaven, you can see the Saltin Sea but the 4 wheeling is way better. I have been to both, truckhaven is kinda rutted hills up and down and then up, to the top, down. Super has trails from cake to guaranteed body damage. There are always major rolls which are fun for everyone, and there are raffles, vender tents, sponsors like ORW, CTM, Mastercraft, Red Bull, Rock it Parts and way more. I would really recommend that anyone that can get there make it for sure!! Hope to see you!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:07 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Hmmm. that sounds interesting. A trail like a Malaysian SS would be nice, but I doubt they have that.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Whew, that's another 1.5 hrs on top of the three to Truckhaven. Humm.... Landscape looks similar, better dunes tho -- but then there's the Calcite Mine night run at Truckhaven.

DW
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Deanger
Dean G

Awesome info, thanks everyone. I've already been stalking LRX and the other sale sites for a while... It's funny, the Jeep Rubicon is awesome, but there is just something about the Defender...
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Deanger
Dean G

Quote:
Originally posted by wicks

Have a couple of friends with the new RR.... I'd love one for trips to Whole Foods.
LOL -- I see 50 of them there all the time, including mine. I've taken it on very mundane dirt roards and people have seen it dirty and look at me like I am offending someone.

FWIW -- The new RR appears to be very capable, it just doesn't get my blood pumping the way a nicely outfitted D-90 does.

Are D-90 wagons long enough to fit bikes inside? Also, how are those fold out seats? I like them from what I've seen.
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

hhhmmm,

Front and rear I.S. on those new RR (In the office space voice)- "Yeah, no, not so capeable, uh huh"

Sure you can throw a bike in there with the front tire off.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Its not easy to fit an average sized 21-speed in the back of a Station Wagon. You *can* do it, but you have to take the front wheel off, then have your passenger hold the forks to steady the bike as it rests on your center console.

Not too fun.
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:21 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally posted by Deanger
I'd want to hit the trails with the D-90. My friend has a Rubicon Jeep and we've had some fun with it. Was thinking about getting one of those but have always admired the D-90.
My TJ was much more comfortable than my D90 is. Especially now with the cold. It was much more carlike on the inside in that respect. Jeep is much easier to find parts and people to help fix it up.
That said I do get more attention now on the trail with the D than I did with the TJ.
-scott
'94 ST
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Smile

Hey you could buy my 1968 109 and fit your bikes and lots more in there. With the money you save you could do all sorts of mods to it.
I am in Burbank, email me if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p8010008 (2).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	240  
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Put that 109 back together already. That would be a great one. What year?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat