Just thought I'd pass this along. My D2 front D.S. ate it rather hard the other day. Actually the Cardan joint to be precise. Funny thing is, the darn needle bearings were toast. Being in a pinch and wanting to drive home with a front D.S., I(we) tried something. After some measurements were taken, we found out that the needle bearings are 1/16th of an inch. Huh.... S/S filler rod for T.I.G is 1/16th of an inch....... hhhmmmm. So we cut, deburred and carefully replaced all the bent and broken needle bearings with filler rod.
OK ... my metallurgical friends, yea I'm aware the hardness of the bearings is FAR greater than filler rod, however in a pinch it does work just fine. I've been driving on it for 4 days now while I wait for my Woods shaft to show up. We just thought it was funnier than h_ll and thought I'd share. Flame suit on.
You should see what we did to factory D2 wiper arms to accept $15 Napa blades