Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
New Toy for the Defender

I finally found a really decent M416 trailer that wasn't thrashed, bent, no title, waaaay overpriced or rusted out, cheap too. It has been sandblasted and primed, so just need to get the tub painted white and a bunch of pieces powder coated. Then to the welder to make a frame (removable) that tilts to the side and then I can put my Autohome tent on top. Also have to re-wire it and put some decent lights on it (LEDs naturally). It just took two visits to two different MVD offices to get it titled and tagged in AZ. Seemed like all of northern AZ had to be at the MVD while I needed to get this done. The last owner even changed out the axels out so you do not have to use POS military wheels.

So I hope to have something ulitmatly ends up looking like this:

And does this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Sweet. That thing would look amazing in the same white as your D90 but with matte black (LineX?) fenders & Freestyles on it.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Finally finished the frame for the Airtop tilting support. Powder coated a bunch of the lower frame, wired it up with new LEDs. Just the need to paint the tub Alpine White and its done. So I went to the local welder to get the farm welded, but they wanted $105 an hour! Went a bought a Lincoln welder and did it myself. The new MIG welders are beyond easy to use. MIG = Monkey In Garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Lookin Good!
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That is one clean trailer--good find.
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
It was the first M416 I found that wasn't beat up or rusted out. There also seems to be a widespread issue with titles on them. Finally put the Airtop on it for a trail fit. I really need to put some gas lift struts to help tilt it, or hang out with Capt. America types.

Old March 10th, 2014, 07:35 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Good looking trailer...But I really like your 185! Especially with the observer doors!
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Very nice trailer but you really need to put some Rover hubs on it so you can run some matching Freestyles.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
That would tie the room together, like Lebowski's carpet. Alas, it came with three of those rims with nearly new Goodyear Wrangler tires on them. Perhaps in the future, meanwhile I may get some "Deep Dish" rims for the Defender and powder coat them deep metallic grey.

Every 185 I have had, had the Patrol Doors, kind of a thing with us Geologists, we like to look down at stuff, it has bubble windows to boot and camera mounts for the struts and wing tips. 185's are the off runway brute of aircraft. 600' and 1,750 lbs useful load, 6 people (well four with legs and two double amputees) cruise at 160-170 mph and get 11.5 mpg.

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Finally got time to finish the trailer. May make a Yakima gutter mount for x bars, for bicycles. But I think it is done.
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:41 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Very nice. If you find another that is local please pass it my way.
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Had my m416 for years. Came to me with a decent cut in tailgate that come in handy moving mulch etc. are you going to linex yours?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I would love a tailgate, my back is not the strongest bone system in my body. A few hundred carrier landings didn't give it the trouble free longevity I would have liked. I was thinking while I am in Australia on project, I am going to look for a distressed tailboard. De-rivitet it and adjust the plate and bracket size to fit the proposed tailgate cut in the M416. Use all the standard Series tailboard fittings as well. Its unpleasant to pay for one, got my last tailboard for free. Scavenged it and the soft top hood sticks off a UN one that had an unfortunate encounter with something explosive in Lebanon.

Funny, my wife loves the trailer. The first thing she wanted after I painted it and did the bed liner (a combination of Rustolium bed liner and Duplicolor's version, one has good coverage and the other did better texture). She had me take a load of yard debris to the dump already. The top frame unlatches and 4 bolts hold the hinges and it just lifts off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender