Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 24th, 2016, 12:54 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
"New Style" Cross Seals Shrunk

A previous owner had installed the “new style” cross / crucifix seals in my vehicle just 4 years ago. I took off my bearing cap a few days ago to have a look at the rear main seal and found that the cross seals had shrunken a lot - probably 3/16” at the bottom.

Per the advice of some postings on this board am going to skip the seals this time and just fill the slots with the Rightstuff.

Just figured I would post this for people searching for info in the future about rear main seal leaks / cross seal leaks: what looks like a rear main seal leak could be coming from your cross / crucifix seals even if they have already been replaced.

Also, when you have the bearing cap off make sure your rear main seal is pushed all the way toward the engine before putting the cap back on. Don't know if this is possible but my rear main seal appeared to have slid back in the housing until it hit the flywheel (1st rear seal photo below). So I slid it back into position tight against the flange in the block (2nd rear seal photo below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cross1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	152507   Click image for larger version

Name:	cross2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	152508  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rearmain1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	152509   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearmain2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	152510  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2016, 12:33 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Following up on this now that I have put things back together: this fix worked like a charm. I had a leak coming from the wading plug hole that was the equivalent of a horse pissing on my feet every time I turned the engine off (it would build up in the flywheel housing and then all rush out after stopping). After repositioning the rear main seal and being very careful with the bearing cap sealing job the leak is completely gone. If you think you have a rear main seal leak it is worth dropping the oil pan and bearing cap to see if you can do the same - it only took about two hours of work which sure beats pulling and reinstalling the engine.
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
great writeup...your experience with your rear main also seems to validate other reports that rear main seal leaks after replacement with a good part come from the rear main seal moving, not the dynamic seal itself failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
Following up on this now that I have put things back together: this fix worked like a charm. I had a leak coming from the wading plug hole that was the equivalent of a horse pissing on my feet every time I turned the engine off (it would build up in the flywheel housing and then all rush out after stopping). After repositioning the rear main seal and being very careful with the bearing cap sealing job the leak is completely gone. If you think you have a rear main seal leak it is worth dropping the oil pan and bearing cap to see if you can do the same - it only took about two hours of work which sure beats pulling and reinstalling the engine.
Your the man if it only took you 2 hours for this job. It took me a lot longer. Do you think the rear main seal was out of position before you took the cap off?
My guess is while the engine is running, rear crank main is slinging the oil away behind the rear main seal, however when the engine stops, the crank is not rotating, the oil run down the inside of the engine, down the rear main and through the gap between the rear main and the rear main seal.
Either way, enjoy the leak free engine! Job well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Thanks. I am fairly certain that the rear main was out of position before I started. I took the flywheel inspection plate off to see where the oil was coming from and I could see some of the red rear main seal when I looked up. Now that the seal is in the proper position I can't see it at all when looking up thru the inspection plate area.
I have to admit that I didn't time myself. I just snuck in some work here and there whenever my wife wasn't paying attention to what I was doing so that she would not complain that I wasn't cutting the lawn or doing all of the chores I have been avoiding. Seems like I spent the most time on cleaning up the surfaces of the cap and pan to make sure I could get a good seal when I put it back together. The bearing cap came off easily in my case.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I always put some kind of sealant around the outside of rear main seals to help seal and hold them in place. Also, the t-seals need to be trimmed proud of the sealing flange to alleviate the shrinkage issue. It looks like those t-seals were damaged going in, probably done without the wedges along the sides that one uses to help guide them in. I'm sure the "right Stuff" solution works well, but I haven't been confident that I'm actually filling the channel completely so I continue to use t-seals. I think the cork ones were better than the new rubber type.

Good job on the repair, hope the seal stays in place and keeps working for you! Keep your breathers clear, excess crankcase pressure can push the seals out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, I am with Ren Ching I like using the seals but including right stuff all with them. But I have heard of all right stuff too. Good luck and good on you for the repair of Janey.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:14 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I always put some kind of sealant around the outside of rear main seals to help seal and hold them in place.

Keep your breathers clear, excess crankcase pressure can push the seals out.
I found that the engine breather was completely blocked up before I did this work, so crankcase pressure probably pushed the rear main out. The thing that confused me was that the leak was worse after I cleared the breather. But the seal was already out of whack, maybe the added air flow just made it easier for oil to run out somehow, or it was a fluke.
I debated putting sealant on the rear main and searched to see if anyone had success with that but could not find anything. So I decided not to do it in case I had to go back in to do more surgery - I figured cleaning it up without separating the transmission might be difficult. But I would certainly do it next time now that I know it works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
seals