New Storage Drawer for D90
Well, it is just about complete--the new back for the pooches--I will up date this one last time after this with actual shots of my girls harnessed in the back, but no time today before work. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I had to do it on a budget but with certain criteria to meet. The drawer is welded 20gauge steel with 3/4" angle iron sub frame and some 1-1/4" angle iron reinforcement here and there with 5bar aluminum front and heavy duty locking t-handle. The top is 19/32 ply, reinforced for the t-handle lock with angle iron and the internal hold downs for the ply are these awesome load hold down aluminum bars capable of about 6000lbs with moveable rotatable 4000lb hold down rings (the 6000 lb hold down rings are not rotatable, so I passed). The drawer slides are accuride 36" full extensions (the box is 42" long, and these were close enough as the 42" slides are $60 more) and the box is 42"x32"x8-1/2" giving me just over 6.5 cubic feet of storage and the slides are rated to something like 400 lbs load bearing in their configuration (for something like 10,000 drawer pulls). Whatever it was, it was more than I will need but just right for what I wanted. I got some rubber waterproof matting for the top of the ply from Harbor Freight so the pooches nails would have something to bight into. I removed the subwoofer and it is now mounted between the drawer and the cubby and I took out the air compressor storage tank and am refitting an aluminum tank from a rangie that goes right under the window in the flare out of the side panel (not shown yet). Overall, I am very happy, although I still need to finish some of the finer points.
Total cost was about $400, but I think it will hold up very, very nicely and it sure gives me more space. I am working on making a sleep extension...