Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 28th, 2014, 12:02 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
New Rover added to the family!

I know there's a lot of dog lovers on the forum, so I thought I'd show off our new pup a bit! He's a little long hair German Shepherd pup and is quite the little fireball - he's giving our 9 year old yellow Lab pure hell! He thought he was in charge until the Lab scared off a really huge owl tonight - he now thinks the Lab is a God!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2014, 12:25 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In case you want to see what he'll look like in about 8 years:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	105895  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:57 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

At 11 years. Every German Shepherd I've met has been the same personality wise. They are protective, loyal and smart. Imo their personality is unique. Love the breed and I can already see those traits in the photos of your little boy. He looks a bit mischievous too! He'll learn a lot from your Lab...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	105902  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2014, 02:00 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I think you're spot on! They've got almost exactly the same color match! He's a good looking dog!

It sure is funny how certain breeds have traits that always seem to show up!! It's super interesting to watch...Our Lab sure is proof of that! The little pup is definitely miscievious...and he's loaded with personality, so it's going to be a lot of fun to watch him develop (and probably a bit frustrating too)...I had forgotten how tough puppies can be to handle!!
I'm definitely hoping some of the good behaviors of our Lab wear off on him...and maybe some of the bad one's won't take hold! :-)

You guys that have GSD's (since this is our first one)...Do your dogs want to den up in every dark/confined space possible? This little pup sure does! But he usually ends up under your legs, between your feet and the front of the couch!!
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
You guys that have GSD's (since this is our first one)...Do your dogs want to den up in every dark/confined space possible? This little pup sure does! But he usually ends up under your legs, between your feet and the front of the couch!!
My 7yr old prefers to be with the family. After midnight, while everyone is usually in bed, she prefers to patrol the house during random intervals. I usually find her sleep in either of my daughters bedrooms along with her "brother from another mother" our Shepherd/Shar pei mix.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cinco & Mina.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	105922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mina in G.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	105926  

Name:	Mina and Cinco looking.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	105927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mina on sofa.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	105928  

Old October 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Rover View Post
My 7yr old prefers to be with the family. After midnight, while everyone is usually in bed, she prefers to patrol the house during random intervals. I usually find her sleep in either of my daughters bedrooms along with her "brother from another mother" our Shepherd/Shar pei mix.
Wow looks a LOT like my 1st Shepherd below...she lived to be 14 1/2!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cass1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	105924   Click image for larger version

Name:	cass2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	105925  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Rover View Post
That'll be interesting to see if this one does that...He'll be assigned to the kennel next to our bed for quite a while, since he hasn't seen anything yet that he doesn't want to give the taste test too!!
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
I think you're spot on! They've got almost exactly the same color match! He's a good looking dog!

It sure is funny how certain breeds have traits that always seem to show up!! It's super interesting to watch...Our Lab sure is proof of that! The little pup is definitely miscievious...and he's loaded with personality, so it's going to be a lot of fun to watch him develop (and probably a bit frustrating too)...I had forgotten how tough puppies can be to handle!!
I'm definitely hoping some of the good behaviors of our Lab wear off on him...and maybe some of the bad one's won't take hold! :-)

They do have similar coloring, the brown around the eyes, cheeks and brow. The photos you took make me giggle because they totally show the difference in age and personality. The fireball puppy and the mellow yellow. The pup is probably just doing the 'den up' and hanging by your feet thing for now because his surroundings are new and he may be a little anxious. It'll take him a little while but once he figures out that he is home and you are his family he'll relax. Give him a bed or somewhere soft to lay down, he is still a baby. When I have a new/baby animal I take the approach of raising them almost as if they were children.

From my experience with Shepherds - they love to socialize, they love toys (fetching) water (swimming) and walking/running. The only bad habit (not bad if you hunt) was he liked to give chase - deer, rabbits, cats, etc. I had to teach him to not do that unless I said it was okay, and if I let him give chase he had to come back when I called him. When he wouldn't listen I'd ground him - take him home or put him on a leash. They learn quickly and you're in for a treat.

Oh and the protective side of their nature. When he gets bigger you might have to teach him he doesn't need to be on guard and protective of you and your family all of the time.

Here's our lab mix. When he was younger he had a bad habit of raiding the chicken coop. Got so bad when he'd hear the hen clucking, off he'd go for the warm egg. He was an egg sucking dog!! I had to teach him that if he stayed away from the eggs, he'd stay out of trouble and then maybe I might just give him one for being good. It worked!!

I hope you continue to post pictures of him as he grows. I'd really like to see him as a gangly teen and when he fills out all the way. He's going to be good looking. He's so cute right now, wild haired bear cub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	105941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	105942  

Old October 28th, 2014, 03:56 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
That'll be interesting to see if this one does that...He'll be assigned to the kennel next to our bed for quite a while, since he hasn't seen anything yet that he doesn't want to give the taste test too!!
LOL! Oh no...he's teething! Time to get him some chewies. I'd give stuff like soup bones or raw hides. He can have at those but when you see him with something that isn't his be sure and tell him!

I know it's not funny...but it kinda is! hahaa!
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Have a friend with a GS, incredibly loyal, and watchful. Dog is trained to constantly check back with "Mum" to make sure everything is ok. Getting a snack each time helps reinforce the training.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:11 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
LOL! Oh no...he's teething! Time to get him some chewies. I'd give stuff like soup bones or raw hides. He can have at those but when you see him with something that isn't his be sure and tell him!

I know it's not funny...but it kinda is! hahaa!
Or Antlers. My dogs love em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Antlers.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	105952  
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:33 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
They do have similar coloring, the brown around the eyes, cheeks and brow. The photos you took make me giggle because they totally show the difference in age and personality. The fireball puppy and the mellow yellow. The pup is probably just doing the 'den up' and hanging by your feet thing for now because his surroundings are new and he may be a little anxious. It'll take him a little while but once he figures out that he is home and you are his family he'll relax. Give him a bed or somewhere soft to lay down, he is still a baby. When I have a new/baby animal I take the approach of raising them almost as if they were children.

From my experience with Shepherds - they love to socialize, they love toys (fetching) water (swimming) and walking/running. The only bad habit (not bad if you hunt) was he liked to give chase - deer, rabbits, cats, etc. I had to teach him to not do that unless I said it was okay, and if I let him give chase he had to come back when I called him. When he wouldn't listen I'd ground him - take him home or put him on a leash. They learn quickly and you're in for a treat.

Oh and the protective side of their nature. When he gets bigger you might have to teach him he doesn't need to be on guard and protective of you and your family all of the time.

Here's our lab mix. When he was younger he had a bad habit of raiding the chicken coop. Got so bad when he'd hear the hen clucking, off he'd go for the warm egg. He was an egg sucking dog!! I had to teach him that if he stayed away from the eggs, he'd stay out of trouble and then maybe I might just give him one for being good. It worked!!

I hope you continue to post pictures of him as he grows. I'd really like to see him as a gangly teen and when he fills out all the way. He's going to be good looking. He's so cute right now, wild haired bear cub.

Yeah, he's teething like crazy and we have piles of various chew toys! He mainly wants the one the Lab is chewing on at any given moment!! Definitely like 2 kids!!

He's super interested in birds and went crazy when 2 big jays showed up on our deck the other day wanting nuts! They stop in regularly and will come right to you, so he thought that was incredible!

Your Lab mix looks a lot like my Dad's dog...He's a cute one! I'll keep posting some photos as he grows and changes...That's always an interesting process!!

My girlfriend's mom is coming up tomorrow to watch him for 9 days while we go to Hawaii, so wish her luck...I think she's going to really need it!!
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:04 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Sonny
One day you will stop by , and when you do bring your little guy to play with our pups . They are both girls one Husky and a blood hound mix .
Talk soon
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:28 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Yeah, he's teething like crazy and we have piles of various chew toys! He mainly wants the one the Lab is chewing on at any given moment!! Definitely like 2 kids!!

He's super interested in birds and went crazy when 2 big jays showed up on our deck the other day wanting nuts! They stop in regularly and will come right to you, so he thought that was incredible!

Your Lab mix looks a lot like my Dad's dog...He's a cute one! I'll keep posting some photos as he grows and changes...That's always an interesting process!!

My girlfriend's mom is coming up tomorrow to watch him for 9 days while we go to Hawaii, so wish her luck...I think she's going to really need it!!
Sounds like little brother learning from big brother to me lol I'll be looking forward to the pictures of furry lil man! My son picked the lab out from a litter of pups and he's a great dog too.

Sooo...When all else fails call grandma to watch the kids and go to Hawaii..? Nice! Have a great time, I love that place.

I've been watching the news about the lava flow in Pahoa on the Big Island. I feel for those people.
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:18 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
My dog is 4 and still teething.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1092203626.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	106023  
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This thread pisses me off. I have two beagles that are "bear ready" that I could have shipped in a holy box to Alaska for you. And when I say "bear ready", I mean that I am ready for the beagles to meet a bear.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:31 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This thread pisses me off. I have two beagles that are "bear ready" that I could have shipped in a holy box to Alaska for you. And when I say "bear ready", I mean that I am ready for the beagles to meet a bear.
We had beagles for rabbit hunting when I was a kid...I can definitely feel your pain!!

My sister is a Vet, so she should know better, but she got one of her sons a Beagle years ago...that dog has been nothing but a mess!! But he is super cute!!

------ Follow up post added November 21st, 2014 06:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Sonny
One day you will stop by , and when you do bring your little guy to play with our pups . They are both girls one Husky and a blood hound mix .
Talk soon
I feel like such a turd for not getting out there before now!! You live soooooo far away from me!!
We'll definitely make it happen soon!!

Here's a couple of recent photos for everyone...He's still keeping much of his puppy look so far, but is about 2x the size from when we got him - a bit over 30lbs now and growing like mad!!
Here's a photo from a recent Toy explosion at the house...no live animals were injured!!

One from some ball playing today - Walters idea of ball playing is biting the big dog on the hind legs until he turns and drops the ball to bite him back...then it's a game of keep away!! All the Lab (Chance) wants to do is ignore the pup and play fetch!

Everyone fortunately survived the Hawaii trip - including my girlfriends Mom who babysat the little shark!! Funny thing is, she didn't stick around too long once we got home....hmmmm...
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:44 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I've been thinking about a GSD for the family. We have a poodle Shi-zhu miz and need something to give this one a run for his money. I found a breeder in WA that has some nice ones. They can be picey though.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:07 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
I've been thinking about a GSD for the family. We have a poodle Shi-zhu miz and need something to give this one a run for his money. I found a breeder in WA that has some nice ones. They can be picey though.
I've heard that Poodles are pretty much the best guard dogs on the planet...does that carry over with the mixed breeds?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:34 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
We had beagles for rabbit hunting when I was a kid...I can definitely feel your pain!!

My sister is a Vet, so she should know better, but she got one of her sons a Beagle years ago...that dog has been nothing but a mess!! But he is super cute!!

------ Follow up post added November 21st, 2014 06:40 PM ------

I feel like such a turd for not getting out there before now!! You live soooooo far away from me!!
We'll definitely make it happen soon!!

Here's a couple of recent photos for everyone...He's still keeping much of his puppy look so far, but is about 2x the size from when we got him - a bit over 30lbs now and growing like mad!!
Here's a photo from a recent Toy explosion at the house...no live animals were injured!!

One from some ball playing today - Walters idea of ball playing is biting the big dog on the hind legs until he turns and drops the ball to bite him back...then it's a game of keep away!! All the Lab (Chance) wants to do is ignore the pup and play fetch!

Everyone fortunately survived the Hawaii trip - including my girlfriends Mom who babysat the little shark!! Funny thing is, she didn't stick around too long once we got home....hmmmm...
You're killing me Sonny! That's a great baby picture!

Poor Chance lol ...Walter's a heel biter.

A girlfriend of mine decided she wanted a dog and came home with two beagles...they like to dig and bark a lot. Yeah...she is pretty much at her wits end.

Another girlfriend of mine has a Great Dane and when we came back from an afternoon out- she opened the door to her house and it looked like a bomb went off in a chicken factory!! Her dog ate the couch while we were gone!! She was like this...""! Mass destruction!!

-""

------ Follow up post added November 21st, 2014 11:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
Those are both great breeds. I can imagine a mix of the two is very nice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat