New Rover added to the family! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:37 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Poodles are very intelligent dogs! I think almost any dog can be a good guard dog since most people just want to be alerted to a potential threat, and generally most dogs are great for that...Just don't get a breed that's super lazy and a heavy sleeper!

Our Lab is a perfect guard dog (in my opinion) since he only barks if he sees or hears something completely strange to our normal environment...and even then he only barks 2 or 3 times...

http://www.schneidenfels.com/index.htm

Here's the breeder where we got Walter. They breed their dogs to more of a working standard so they're very hearty dogs...GSD's sometimes get over bred to the extreme show standard and have health issues. My sister's a Veterinarian and lives really close to this breeder and knows them really well...She highly recommended them and we've been super happy with the pup so far! Now if we can just dull those puppy teeth down some!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Walter went to see his Vet today! 15weeks old and 35 lbs!! I think he's going to be a big one! He's eating as much as our 90 lb Lab, so he's packing it on!! Chuck (the Vet) said his puppy teeth should start popping out in the next week or so...We're all super excited to see that start...Especially our Lab!! Actually the pup is being a LOT better this week and not biting nearly as much!! He's starting to lose that cute puppy look just a bit, but hasn't quite hit the gangly teenage time yet!!

Old December 7th, 2014, 07:05 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
A few new photos of the little man in action...

He's becoming quite the little snow dog and really loves helping out with the shoveling (I definitely see why they're in the herding group)!

He sooooooo wants to get on the couch (he knows he's not supposed to, and yet this is what we see). He's relentless about trying to get what he wants - fortunately I am too!!

He got to meet Santa yesterday...All he wanted to do was make faces at the camera! I heard the big dog quietly ask Santa for a different baby brother for Christmas while we were there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

They are precious Sonny! Walter is getting so big...he's almost the same size as Chance. Hopefully he's being a good boy. He's looking really good!! Lol!! I just caught that he's doing the 'half on half off' couch maneuver! hahaa! too cute..
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Yeah, he just looks at you and says, "I'm not really ON the couch"!

He's just over 16 weeks old and right at 40lbs, so I think he's going to be a big one! It's amazing how fast he's grown to this size...It'll be interesting to see where he settles at during the next 12 months or so...

He's definitely getting better! The puppy teeth have started to pop out, but we're really waiting for the canines to go since they're razor sharp! The big dog has a few cuts on his haunches to prove it! 😕 I'm all over him when he does that, but the tendency to try and herd the big dog is super strong!!
Old December 13th, 2014, 09:59 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Nope...not 'technically' ON the couch. Lol

Time to start training lil man. NO biting!

Stern but not aggressive is the way to go. Use his collar to help, don't put your hands on him, just use his collar. Whenever he nips or gets overly rambunctious with Chance tell him 'Walter. NO.' and if he doesn't listen take him by the collar and move him away from Chance. Make him sit.

If he gets up to move at Chance again, get his collar and do it over again until he understands what you are doing. He will get it and then after awhile you should only have to tell him 'No' and then eventually he will stop the behavior all together.

He's still a cutie!!
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:48 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
New Photos...

Just a couple of new pictures of the pup...He turned 5 months old today and is growing like mad! Almost as tall as our 90lb lab and is already over 50lbs! He's a smart little dog and is coming along nicely...Now we just need to get rid of the last of those puppy teeth!!!

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:09 PM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
Great photo's, and great looking dogs! Man, absolutely amazing how fast he's grown in 5 months. Looking at the last photo's compared to the first, you have to do a double-take.
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Great looking dogs!!! Be careful, one turns into two!

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Here's my 4-legged rover - half ACD, half Lab, who is now ten today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bella_rrc.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	111110   Click image for larger version

Name:	pet tales.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	111111  

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:33 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Brian - gorgeous dogs!!

Peter - cute puppy..name?

Sonny - Thanks for the update. Chance looks great as always and Walter...wow!! A furry, broad chested bundle of handsomeness!!! He's gone from toddler to 2nd grader
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM
pl626
Peter

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Brian - gorgeous dogs!!

Peter - cute puppy..name?

Sonny - Thanks for the update. Chance looks great as always and Walter...wow!! A furry, broad chested bundle of handsomeness!!! He's gone from toddler to 2nd grader

CB - my ten year old pup is aptly named Bella; she picked me when she was 11 weeks old and I thought her name fit her, so we didn't change it. She still has the same energy and personality as when she was a pup, but she has a torn ACL, so she can't jump as high as before.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:38 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Yeah, what a huge difference a few months makes at this age!! It sure is a shame that they don't stay small for just a bit longer!

I was just talkng to my Vet the other day about how there's such a huge difference in how the breeds act and how you have to treat them so differently because of how they're made...I pretty much knew what we were getting into with this little one...But man is he ever full of piss and vinegar, and super rough and tumble!! He's been a lot of fun, but he sure does sometimes get my goat!! I get this look a LOT...As usual he's trying to decipher his next play, and how it's going to affect the outcome of the rest of his day...Boy is he ever a little thinker...

I love seeing the pictures of everyone's dogs, and getting tidbits of insight...It definitely keeps it interesting!!
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:36 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
CB - my ten year old pup is aptly named Bella; she picked me when she was 11 weeks old and I thought her name fit her, so we didn't change it. She still has the same energy and personality as when she was a pup, but she has a torn ACL, so she can't jump as high as before.
Bella..love that name and it does suit her. She loves her frisbee I'm sure. We are kitty siting three cats for another forum family right now and they are a hoot. The only challenge is when everybody wants to get pet and have some attention at the same time. I need an extra set of arms!! Oh and wanting to go in or outside. It's quite an impressive scene when I call them inside from playing and they all come running. The pack of kids lol Our cat and dogs enjoy the company and my son and I go to sleep and wake to a bed full of furry critters. It's pretty cozy.
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:42 AM
pl626
Peter

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
...my son and I go to sleep and wake to a bed full of furry critters...

Nothing like waking up to furrballs in your face. Hopefully, they're not too flatulent. I'm blessed that Bella rarely is.

------ Follow up post added January 17th, 2015 10:47 AM ------

Beautiful dogs! Love the snowy pup pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
A few new photos of the little man in action...

He's becoming quite the little snow dog and really loves helping out with the shoveling (I definitely see why they're in the herding group)!

He sooooooo wants to get on the couch (he knows he's not supposed to, and yet this is what we see). He's relentless about trying to get what he wants - fortunately I am too!!

He got to meet Santa yesterday...All he wanted to do was make faces at the camera! I heard the big dog quietly ask Santa for a different baby brother for Christmas while we were there!!

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:20 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I haven't posted any updated photos of Walter in a while, so here's a couple of him as a much bigger teenager now! He'll be a year old next week - boy did this year ever fly by!! He's still pretty gangly, but I'm sure he will fill out a LOT during the next year! His thick fur coat hides his thin teenager boy body really well!!
He's turning into a really good dog, but he still has his crazy and wild moments!! I was kind of like that as a teenager too!!
And yes, our Lab (Chance), always has that beat down look on his face these days...I wonder why??...

Old August 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Aww... yup, still handsome

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat