New Rover 9in almost ready - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Oh come on Kieth,

I think a pair of 2.5 tonners would look pretty good under there!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2003, 12:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
are the pinion brakes on those RW's an aftermarket thing or come on em when you get em. and dont they come with the detroit?? some guy told me the pinion brake was aftermarket add on i called bullshit is this correct???
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:47 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wow, thatís some threat on Pirate.

Anyway, allow me to add this. I honestly have no doubt that the Sals/D60 is stronger then the 9Ē, however there are two advantage of the 9Ē which are weight (which I prefer heavier for better center of gravity) and clearance (which is 1Ē). The first one is I could care less about weight, itís not like my D90 can get any slower on street plus it get trailer to trailered and I donít think weight could play a major factor in this maybe a little yes but not something to worry about. Regarding clearance, I rarely got hung with my stock diff running 5 psi of air so if thatís a problem then I would go with 38ís for now and run 10 psi in the tires which I should be close to stock if not better. Dave, I know you posted so good info but how I see it is those are two major problems. Now I trust keith with his stuff same as I trust Matt (RockWare) and those are the only two people that I would trust with my D90. Iím positive that Keith and Troy now how strong there stuff are other wise they wonít add the 5 years warrantee. Iím not sure if I want to say this but remember the 9Ē failed once right? Regardless of what it was or why. I know this is a trail and error but it failed. You told me they found the weak link but you never know there could be another one.

Trust me when I get my truck back I will ABUSE the sals and will not give it a break. I promised Keith that I will break his axle in two years or less, now is this going to happen, I doubt it, but only time will tell. Ok Iím not running TDI, or Crawler box, but Iím known with dropping my clutch form 4-5 K rpm and let the truck bounce till I make it and I do have a very heavy foot when it comes to climbing obstacles. I will also make things fair and run 38Ē TSL SX on 15X10 as soon as I get my truck back.

P.S. Dave I hope you are safe and everything is alright.

P.S.2. Please ignore any spelling or grammar mistakes
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
but Iím known with dropping my clutch form 4-5 K rpm and let the truck bounce till I make it and I do have a very heavy foot when it comes to climbing obstacles
Is there any other way to Wheel!
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well,

That was written very well. I have to disagree with some of it. The 9in R+P is arguably stronger than a d-60. Most people actually feel that it is stronger. Take a look at the pinion size. You seem to be the bigger is better type, take a look. The design is also more efficient and increases the contact patch to distribute stress more efectively. You should have a doubt that the Sals is stronger because science just does not show that it is. Now, lets be careful here with predictions. I have torn a D60 axle in half in my pre land rover life, nothing is undestructible. You will have a stronger housing than a 9 if it is not trussed. The 9in will have a stronger ring and pinion. I have seen more break on a d-60's than I have on a nine. You will have stronger axles than I will as I elected to stay at 31 spline 1.37in axle shafts. More than overkill for my tires.

Now, careful on that break. That was with a 31 spline axle that was flawed from the factory and it still ripped the steel of the drive flange practically off before it let go. That says a lot of the R+P in that axle. Don't you think? That had more torque on it than most engines can even generate. Now Bill has 35 splines in there that are larger than the sals. His is stronger. Once again, my axles will not be.

Two things that need to be thought about. You bring up a break like it is damning evidence. It would take 2 weeks for me to recall all the breaks on Dana 60's that I have seen that are stronger on the ends than the sals. My experience alone yields two shafts, broken housing and 1 R+P. That was during a lot of wheeling but stuff breaks and to think the Sals is somehow unbreakable is not wise. The second thing is I chose to go the way I did. KC's option is not any less expensive and I had priced the Sals with GBR before I was aware that anyone was offering it.

Now, ground clearance seems not to matter that much to you but it does to me and most. You have to run 38's to have the same ground clearance as a guy running 35's. So the question is, why not just stay with Rover stuff and 35's? You will have the same ground clearance as you did with the Sals. I guess for space under the frame? I care about weight. Most do. I have heard the COG arguement before but it really doesn't hold any weight, sorry for the pun. Who is more likely to roll, you with 6in of lift and 38s with d-60s or someone with 35in tires, same ground clearance. 400LB will not keep you paint up, it will just slow you down and put more stress on your engine.

People are not going to agree and the Sals is a good option. A great option in a matter of fact. Is it stronger than Bills 9in, no. Is it as strong, the r+p maybe, the axles no. It will serve you well but it is not better in any other way than the housing is stronger. That might be a stretch also because KC is using custom housings. All new. This is in no way a reg old ford 9in. I am happy that you are happy, but you should have a doubt.
Attached Images

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

FYI: the one on the right is the 9in

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how bout them apples

<-----stock
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:15 PM
tbmcneill

for the most part, i'm going to defer to the pirate thread for now. i think we're getting some good info going on there & no need to do this twice.

that said, here are a couple of bullets:

*we're not talking about a stock 60/sals either. if we were talking stock 9s vs stock 60s, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. what we're discussing are hybrid axles available in the market .... rover9s, currie's 9", sals, pro rock 60s, teraflex's 60R, etc.

*FWIW, the axles bill is running are NOT larger than what comes in the sals that yousef has.

*also, the ring gear on a 9" is thicker, but how does that add strength? there's 2 ways to increase r&p strength. 1. make the r&p bigger (ie bigger diameter ring gear, etc) and/or 2. make the pinion come in lower on the ring gear to increase the contact patch.

*looks like we need a 3rd parties ruling on this one. a 9" ring gear is not stronger than a 60. the 9s does have better contact area which boosts its strength considerably. the pinion is a different story ... the 9s is bigger, has a shorter shaft, and has the support bearing.

*even there you pay a penalty, though. a 9s pinion hangs extremely low. not the 60s or sals. i'd rather hit diff than pinion if i had to pick (mute point with a pro rock or 60R).

*as for ground clearance, you're talking 1" at the diff ... hardly enough to make a difference. unless you're running the hammers or similiar, 1" is nothing considering the strength gains & price (& warranty if you start talking specifically about RT sals).

*again, great discussion ... see you at the other thread...
T
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I will see you over there. This is good for this board to actually get some good tech talk. Anyway, we are going to have to defer to a ref. Especially since I have now waisted the good part of a work day! I gotta put the ball back in your court. The ground clearance is 1.5in not 1in. Yes, mine is shaved. "Gains in strenth and price" - My option is not more expensive at all, and strenth is obviously an argueing matter. I know it is not a stock Sals. If it was it would be 24 spline. Thicker ring gears allows the teeth to be deeper, allowing more contact surface. As to the pinion location. It is only about 1/2 in lower than a standard rover set up. Not 2 inches. Bottom line, what breaks a 9 will probably break a 60 and what breaks a 60 will probably break a 9 all things being equal otherwise. I will have a hard time breaking this setup with tiny 37's. Then again, I can break anything!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:28 PM
tbmcneill

some of this we starting to beat to death, but, FWIW ground clearance is exactly 1" between sals and stock rover ... yousef's truck had 11" under the diff, now its 10".

& i agree, whoever said the 9" pinion hangs 2" lower is wrong ...
T
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
where is some tech info on the Sals?
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah, lets put it to bed, they are both good with different stong points and weak ones. BTW: I was comparing a shaved 9in to a d-60 1.5in. It was fun. I was always a 60's guy, had them under my old truck. Just moved on is all. Still feel they are a great choice.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:13 AM
tbmcneill

philip-
i posted some comparative specs earlier in the thread. sals and d60 are the same with regards to what's available. (stock sals does only have 24 spline axles.... same as stock rover housing).
T
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:32 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Now wait a minute!!!!!!
The 9" Pinion does hang a couple inches lower than a 60... The 60 is nearly centered (about 1.5" above true hypoid) The 9" is a "nearly" full hypoid meaning that the pinion centerline is equal to the centerline of the ring gear teeth at their lowest point tangent to the pinion gear... I'd do the math but it's Halloween and we just got back from a giant party with about about 15 kid amped up on sugar... Why is it that while the kids wind themselves up the adults try to wind themselves down?????
Okay... Okay... I just drew up the dimensions on AutoCAD, the 9" is only 1.785" lower than the 60...
My mistake!!!
I still think we're ALL doing what we should be doing!!!
That said!!!
I'm goin' to bed!

Later
KAK

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 1st, 2003, 04:00 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Going way back on this thread to the top speed issue have you thought about a GKN overdrive, ups the final drive by 28%, fits in the P.T.O. hole at the back of the transfer box. Or is that space already taken by an underdrive?
Hope the fires keep away, it's on the news every day overhere in G.B.
Old November 1st, 2003, 09:13 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As for the overdrive, Wise Owl is now making one for the LT 230 t-case also.. I just got the news letter. No price though..

Randy
Old November 1st, 2003, 06:47 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Does that overdrive auto shift?
The GKN one does, I just love changing gear at the flick of a switch.
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:17 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That I'm npot sure of..... THats right, the GKN uses an electic solenoid..

Randy
Old November 1st, 2003, 08:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have been thinking about an overdrive and will probably get one some day but right now I need to save a little money for christmas. When/if I get it I will drop in some real low gears.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 2nd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just for posterity:

Here is a couple pictures of the axle roughly in. Looks needs new links, driveshafts and shocks but gives a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle under truck1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	77  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat