New Rear Seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

New Rear Seats

I have a pair of the new 2007 UK model OEM rear seats coming in this month. These are the ones where the back rest part folds forward and then the whole thing tips up to stow above the wheel well.

Wondering if anyone has installed these in their rigs yet and any challenges you may have faced?
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

How much were they? That is what I am looking to do with a pair or forward facing jumpseats from a Series truck. How are you planning to incorporate the seat belts? My plan is to add a rear hoop, like the ST's and add the 3 point seat belt.

Scott

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

they were about 2k and after selling my 4 jumpers for $800 the total was a little less than $1200.

included is the seat belts, the mounting bracket for the shoulder strap, plastic trim pieces that cover the metal pieces and the whole mounting system.

these are literally the stock oem seats that come with the 07 uk defender:

the last three photos in the set:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/2...nder-unveiled/
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Exmoor trim has some for sale in the specials section of their site. I didnt want to drop the cash right now, so I'll have to suffer. I dont know if the price is for a pair or individually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallest1
they were about 2k and after selling my 4 jumpers for $800 the total was a little less than $1200.

included is the seat belts, the mounting bracket for the shoulder strap, plastic trim pieces that cover the metal pieces and the whole mounting system.

these are literally the stock oem seats that come with the 07 uk defender:

the last three photos in the set:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/2...nder-unveiled/
Those look really nice - please post some pics when you get them installed. I've been thinking of changing the setup in mine - Not sure if I want to go w/ the 4 jumpers, keep the stock bench, get a Mastercraft/PRP/Corbeau, or do what your doing.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:04 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Either way, I think you'll definitely be the first around here to do it. I've been lusting after them, but they're hardly a priority.

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

i looked at the higher end exmoor seats with integrated seat belts and interestingly enough they are the same price as these oem's. the pull towards the oem's was the way that they fold.. the exmoors kind of just kick up and turn, whereas the land rovers fold down and then tip up. they appear to have a more compact stowed away position.

i'm really looking forward to their arrival and the install process and will document and photograph the entire process and post.

couple things that i've noticed already:
- new carpet neccessary on wheel wells due to existing holes from the old jumpers
- underneath both wheel wells are a tubular support bracket that the jumper seat belts hooked up to. i'm still not sure if i should leave this assembly installed or if i should ditch it. it's not doing anything right now and i do not believe that the new seats are tied to this in any fashion
- the plastic window trim around the rear hard top windows. i'm not sure if these are going to be a problem or not, but after close inspection on some photos of the new defender i can see that the new window trim kits are a little different. the difference is that they appear to have a cut out at the bottom where it looks like the new seats blend or rest comfortably into when stowed. if this is the case then there's a chance that the new seats will not be able to fold all the way up with the existing trim. so then my options will either be a) remove the window trim and leave as is or b) remove window trim and order the new window trim which is about $400 a side.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually, I'm not an idiot. Exmoor is selling some of the new, 2007 defender seats on the specials part of their website.

Yes, you are right, the window trims are different on the 2007. The side is relieved to accomodate the folded seat. I would just go ahead and buy the trim - you've already splashed out for the seats and hardware, you may as well finish it up right.

Lets see some pix of what you've got - especially all the mounting points etc. I'm particuarly interested in the brackets for the seat belts.

The new defender also has a new shape to the wheel well, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Old January 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

ah...ok. wasn't aware exmoor was selling them as well. seats are arriving by end of jan and i'll start snapping as soon as they arrive. for the record you're not an idiot and yes, now that you mention it I should pick up the new window trims as well.

know anything else about the differences in the wheel wells?
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Naw, they're just selling a few, not like a regular product. You have to be a dork like me to scour the pages so thoroughly. I'll admit to dorkiness, but not idiocy - an important distinction!

The top of the fender wells aren't flat on the new trucks. I dont know about the 90, but at least the 110 has a new design. There is a "ridge" running the length of the tub, and a "slope" down to the level of the fender well.

I cant find a pic right now.

Old January 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

i'll see if i can find anything on that as well. btw, i was wrong about arrival time. when i got home today they were on the porch. now i have to order the carpet which i should have done a week ago. can't get to the seats until next weekend anyways. stay tuned.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Will Tillery put some forward facing rear jump seats in his 90 about 6 months ago and I think he paid less than $600????
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Found a pic - this is the 110 - I dont know what the 90 tub looks like.

My problem with these cool new rear seats is that I would also want to get the new second-row seats also...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_interior_resize.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	11865  

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Found a pic - this is the 110 - I dont know what the 90 tub looks like.

My problem with these cool new rear seats is that I would also want to get the new second-row seats also...
oh wow, that row is great. i see what you mean about the wheel well also. the topic of wheel wells did come up when i was ordering them and the schematics we looked at for the 07 90's showed that they were the same as in earlier vehicles (no ridge). i'm keeping fingers crossed that it is only a 110 thing. will be able to peek at the seats thursday and first thing i'm going to look at is the mounts.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

update

jim and anyone else interested, here's an update regarding the installation of the 2007 uk defender rear seats into a 1995 nas defender.

pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/jjderosa/D90Seats

notes:
1) the window trim pieces have been removed because it looks like in order for the seats to fold up completely after installation the new 2007 trim must be used. hypothetically i could get away with no window trim for a while but will invest in the new window trims at a later date.
2) the rear seat belt mount pillars are now installed (see the last 2 photos in the gallery)
3) in the 1st pic of the web album i've positioned the passenger side rear seat in an approximate location where it could be mounted.
4) the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pics in the gallery focus on the front and rear brackets that secure the seat to the wheel well. these are the only two brackets on the seats and it is safe to say that these are the sole mounting points to the wheel well. the brackets themselves each have 2 holes where it is evident that corresponding holes can be drilled into the wheel well and nuts/bolts can then secure the brackets to the tub.
5) also in photos 2, 3 and 4, it is key to note that each of the mounting brackets slightly overhang the wheel wells. on the part of the bracket that overhangs, there is a bolt that protrudes downward from the bracket at almost a 45 degree angle. at this time, there is nowhere to attach this particular bolt to. so, conceivably, on the 2007 defenders there may be a bracket of sorts that mounts to the wheel well and possibly the floor of the tub as well in order to accept this bolt. this bracket is either factory welded or it is bolted to the tub. of course, the existence of this bracket is only guess work on my part but it looks like something is mounted here in order to accept the seat mount.
6) on the bottom of the seat there are 2 holes. i believe that these holes accept a "leg" of sorts that folds out when the seat is in the down position and rests on the floor for additional support. i do not have these legs and if they exist i will need these for complete installation.

so, at this point in time i am working with my supplier in order to obtain the "imaginary bracket" and the legs to the seats. i'll post an update as soon as i have additional information about these two items. the other info that i am trying to obtain is the exact measurements where the seats mount to the wheel well, ie. a measurement from the back wall of the inside of the tub to the 1st hole in the rear mounting bracket and also a measurement from the edge of the wheel well to same hole.

any input that anyone might have is greatly appreciated as well!
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

here's the latest!

- there are 4 mounts per seat, 2 that mount to the top of the wheel arch and 2 that mount to the floor
- the wheel arches in the 07 are in fact different than previous years! see post by jimc earlier in this thread and also pic.
- as a result of the new wheel arch style 4 brackets per seat need to be fabbed. the two top brackets will be angled approx 30 degrees to accept the angled seat mount. and the two bottom brackets will be lifting the seats approx. 1.5" off the floor in order to meet my higher wheel arch

i suppose that the other way to solve the issue above would be to chop the wheel wells so they match the 07 uk defender ones... but for now i think this is the simpler route

once i have the brackets fabbed up i'll keep the sketches for anyone embarking on the same project.
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ah, very cool - I always assumed it was a "bump up" on the wheel arches, but now that you indicate its actually a "drop down" that makes much more sense - its for headroom of course.

Those seats are so good looking that its really tempting to go that route. I'd love to see the design for the brackets.

Old February 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

oh no, good point ... head room! so i run out to the truck just now, set up the seat on the wheel arch and balance myself sitting in it. my fears confirmed... the top of my head brushes ever so slightly against the semi-sagging headliner!

hmmmm... i think a stop to my body guy to discuss a wheel well chop might be in the near future and i probably should do something about the sagging headliner :0

added three pics to the gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/beaumontproperties/D90Seats
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
karlusmagnus
Karl O'Donoghue
71SiiA

nice seats. i know that you can possibly get them from exmoor. I also saw (on one of the euro bbs's) that you can order these from the dealer, in Ireland for example, @ Euro 514. So if one was vacationing in Europe, one could pick up a pair for Euro 1030 * 1.5 = $1550.

Let us know how the fit works out eventually.

Karl.
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Coolhand0302
Luke
'94 ST #1552

John,

Just wondering how the install is progressing? - PM sent

Luke

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
seats