Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 16th, 2016, 11:59 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Thumbs up New Overland Travel book is available

I am happy to announce that my new overland travel how-to book is now available for sale through the book's web site: overlandtravel.us

The book is titled "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada. A Resource for Independent Travel and Camping"

The book incorporates what I have learned in 38 years of travel and camping in my 1960 Land Rover and took me 2 years to write. It is both a how-to and a why you might make one choice over another depending upon your individual situation and level of experience.

Throughout the book I emphasize traveling in harmony with nature and doing no harm as we travel. The book's web site provides information about the book along with the table of contents and a sample chapter.

Each book purchased through the web site will be autographed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2016, 12:32 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Excellent! I am going over to buy one right now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Matt_110
Matt

Heard your interview on the Centre Steer podcast. I will be buying a copy as well!
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:47 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Huzzah!

On my way

K
Old October 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Just paid for mine. Can you sign it to "Carrie & Mike" ?

Two questions. Do you take home more per copy on sales from your web site than Amazon?

What was the final count on the Overland Expo East "Cool Ride" contest?

Mike & Carrie
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:46 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Just paid for mine. Can you sign it to "Carrie & Mike" ?
Sorry but I just read this posting and I already shipped your book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Two questions. Do you take home more per copy on sales from your web site than Amazon?

What was the final count on the Overland Expo East "Cool Ride" contest?

Mike & Carrie
I get a whole lot less when my book is sold through Amazon. About 2/3rds less. When I sell directly, I pay the substantial printing cost for a colour print on demand book plus shipping to me. But since I'm doing my own marketing, web site, boxing of books and such the rest of the book cost goes to me for my 2 years of writing.

I'm looking at Amazon as a way for Europeans to buy the book without paying to ship it overseas. Of course if I went through the retail book channels I would loose $4/book at the current price.

Cool ride contest - The 2005 vanilla 4runner won. The contestants were narrowed down to 8 finalists then the click on the web site voting was to start all over again and run just Friday and part of Saturday. I didn't find out about the re-vote until Friday and heard the Toyota already had over 400 votes. It turns out he has over 700 followers on Instagram. One click and he asked them all to vote again.

So I I concluded the real reason for the contest was to raise awareness about overland expos and not to choose the best overlanding truck. Since I'm retired and living south of the poverty level and almost all my recovery gear is over 35 years old, and my winch died a couple years back I could have used the $500 credit to replace some recovery gear. But it was not to be & I have no hard feelings.

Old October 18th, 2016, 10:28 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I bought two books from Teri Ann at the Expo East and gave one to a friend of mine who also owns a Dormobile. He was very pleased to get it and wishes he could have been at Expo to meet her but he was just about to leave for Istanbul and Zanzibar so his schedule wouldn't permit it. I'm enjoying the book very much and I'm swapping between it and John Blashford-Snell's autobiography at the moment ( the leader of the British traverse through the Darien Gap in a pair of Range Rovers in 1971).

Teri Ann's book is already making me think about ways I can lighten the load in my Land Rover and how to better organize things so I can find things easier. Sorry Teri Ann, I'm not giving up my roof tent...

I really did think it was cool checking out all of the modifications she's made to her Dormobile - lots of very good ideas there.

In the spirit of condensing the load I did find this collapsible dish pan at Bed Bath and Beyond..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dishpan1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	160116  
Attached Images

Old October 20th, 2016, 08:45 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Got the book today! Thanks TeriAnn!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat