Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
New LRNA Pikes Peak commercial

So I know I'm a bit behind the power curve, but I just saw the new RR Sport commercial about the pikes peak climb, and was completely shocked to see a new Defender in the background as a support vehicle. LRNA has pretty much disowned Defenders in their advertising since 97 as far as I can tell, until the brief image in their heritage add earlier this year, and now this prominent and obvious spot in this commercial.

This is clearly deliberate. Are they starting to warm the US market to the Defender model series in prep for a possible next Gen?

We've all heard the back and forth on the start-stop speculation about a next generation Defender in the works, and last rumor was they cancelled all together. We don't need to rehash that. But why on earth would LR have a Defender as a support vehicle in multiple shot s in a major NA launch, with the final shot showing all the LR engineers, wearing the LR logoed gear, standing in front of a Defender with the raised Land Rover letters on the bonnet for all to see. That's like saying, look at this clear LR model you don't have NA, you like it?

People who don't know Defenders but like Range Rovers will see that ad, and make a connection to it. It is a deliberate forced connection by the ad agency between the Defender and RRS. There has got to be some long term strategy at play.

Thoughts? Has this been hashed in this forum already and I just missed it?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
It's probably an NSA / CIA / Blackops plot to bring the new defender back to NA .... in reality its a ad agency simply creating links between heritage and their new product ... a very common theme in car ads .... the long term strategy is to sell vehicles ...

I very much doubt LRNA is strategizing about launching a new defender at this stage .... they are far more interested in developing the Range Rover / Land Rover Brand split to improve the margins on Range Rover products ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
It's probably an NSA / CIA / Blackops plot to bring the new defender back to NA .... in reality its a ad agency simply creating links between heritage and their new product ... a very common theme in car ads .... the long term strategy is to sell vehicles ...

I very much doubt LRNA is strategizing about launching a new defender at this stage .... they are far more interested in developing the Range Rover / Land Rover Brand split to improve the margins on Range Rover products ...
That would be the obvious answer I know, but since the Defender hasn't been here since 97, for a mass market ad, if they want to link to the Defender, they have to re-educate the population on what a Defender is. They did not do that in this ad. This ad says to me "these two cars are from the same breed" but it does not say what the other car is.

I really have a feeling that there is more to come on this. This is the beginning of a new ad campaign that has some larger strategy involving the Defender, like the first chapter in a story. Whether they plan to reveal a Defender in NA is a separate topic.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Link to Ad below:

Both the Defenders I see in the commercial are NAS vehicles. Looks like a '97 LE and a '93 110. I recall both were in the previous footage I saw from the event.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The Defender is a 97 LE

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
They also had shots of it in the first pikes peak video, seen here, as well as a NAS 110. Check out the 2 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/BaPiM_mish4
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

There's better footage on the extended version.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/b--X7W4wUic[/VIDEO]

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

The Ds are nice, but the best PPHC vid:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat