Looks good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I wish ROver would get a wake up call. its lame to see the only solid axle machine here in the states is a ****
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Am I allowed to think it is OK? I mean, no Defender, but not a huge departure from where it started (which is yet to be seen for the new D...if it ever happens).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Isn't jeep also releasing a FWD only vehicle in the near future?

Personally, it doesn't do much for me.... but neither does the current Wranglers. I like the drivetrain, suspension, exterior looks..... but the interior is a deal breaker for me, just something about that wall-o-plastic. When I sit in a Jeep, I want body color steel staring at me, and rubber freakin floormats.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
It could be a lot worse though. At least it doesn't look like a freelander.
Here is an interesting timeline on 4wd history.

http://www.4wdonline.com/A/History.html
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
then if they put the diesel in it that would be even better.... LR is so stupid.
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
preach it
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Jeep is really honing the Wrangler for improved off-road worthiness. We all know the traits and characteristics Rover fans don't like about the Wrangler, but, give credit where it is due.

Personally, I like the new Jeep for what it strives to do and the market it serves. This is a vehicle which obviously received a lot of attention and consideration. This is not a cheap grab for market share or expanding the interest base. Detachable front sway bars are not content cutters.

IMO, the new Jeep was designed to hold its ground against whatever LR will do with the Defender. The two are not equals as with the old Blazer and Bronco. But the comparison will be a far cry from the old '94 YJ versus '94 Defender when it hit the shores.

Thank goodness the proposed "lifestyle" Defender was scratched during budget cuts. Jeep knows and respects its core markets and reputation. Land Rover has dumped its irreproachable history and market with sickening pace. In ten years time we'll be reading commentary from LR execs about how they went too far while simultaneously they pitch "back to basics" vehicles.
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I agree. Especially with the dumped part.
Actually, I feel like I have been dumped when I go into the dealership and they tell me they no longer carry any parts or accessories for the 90. They just act as if it has been discontinued. They have no sense of heritage. They don't care like we do. It's all about selling you a new ride, it's their business.

This new Jeep is something different. After years of trying to turn Jeeps into cars, they are actually adding off road accessories as standard items. I like that.

They are paying attention to what people are doing to their Jeep after they buy them. It seems that every new model has had an improvment to at least aid in off-roading. Wider stances, coil springs, lockers, and now a stronger engine/bigger tires. Over the years Jeep has given the customer/enthusiast something to be excited about. A reason to buy another Jeep.

What are we left to buy? A f****** freelander?
You couldn't pay me enough to drive one of those.
I bought a Rubicon, and am very pleased with it.

I do feel that they have ruined the Jeeps interior. Now it is cheap looking, and entirely plastic. No chrome, no metal, nothing rustic about it. Maybe they will fix that next, along with the diesel engine option. I don't mean make it look like a John Deer, but maybe they'll put that cool looking big round speedometer back in the middle of the console!

We have been abandoned by Rover, but that's okay. I still love them mine.

I wish that they could just redesign the cab to accomodate the laws in the US. Could it be that hard to stuff an airbag in there somewhere?
If they reintroduced the same body style with airbags every one of us would have one picked out on the dealers lot, drooling over the thought of a warranty.
This time I would buy the extended warranty!
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I think the issues were more than just the airbag with the Defenders in the US. Rollover and impact standards also changed that year especially the side impact testing. I remember reading somewhere that LR can barely make enough defenders to support the markets that it IS sold in due to the manufacturing complexity. IIRC there were also issues with certification of the diesels for the US market as well, all of which made the Defender financially prohibitive to sell in the US.

Back when I was shopping for a new truck, to get rid of the cheap econo-crap I was driving, I had looked at the Wranglers with the thought of holding out until the Unlimited came into showrooms. But I honestly had problems getting my legs in and out on the drivers side. The Passenger side, I had to turn my knee's sideways to close the door..... and I'm only 6ft tall. If it wasn't for that craptacular interior, I'd probably be browsing TJ forums right now.

Then, just as I was getting really depressed about not being able to buy a jeep, I stumbled onto my Defender. The un-buyable choice #1 that I had given up on in 1995 just kinda fell into my lap. Trumpets sounded, the sun broke through the clouds, and all was well with the world at last.

-Hans

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

What those buggers at ford need to do is to take the Range Rover line and keep going luxo with it. Just like what they are doing today. Take the _Land_ rover name and take that back to basics with modern feel. Bring out a new truck body on frame, solid axle. Spiff up the frame so its not so big, heavy and prone to rust. Deal with US DOT standards at the same time. Removable top. Blah blah blah. If they do it right, rest of world (and US customers esp) will come. give it a new name - 'defender' as we know it, and 'series' leaf sprung landies, are dead. Problem is, the probability of them doing it right is pretty well non-existant imho. Too much desire for fast quick easy turnaround on the $.
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
What those buggers at ford need to do is to take the Range Rover line and keep going luxo with it. Just like what they are doing today. Take the _Land_ rover name and take that back to basics with modern feel. Bring out a new truck body on frame, solid axle. Spiff up the frame so its not so big, heavy and prone to rust. Deal with US DOT standards at the same time. Removable top. Blah blah blah. If they do it right, rest of world (and US customers esp) will come. give it a new name - 'defender' as we know it, and 'series' leaf sprung landies, are dead. Problem is, the probability of them doing it right is pretty well non-existant imho. Too much desire for fast quick easy turnaround on the $.
I'm with you, and here's the thing: IF a Ford exec. actually cared, or got bored, and Googled "Defender" they'd find this site and a ton of free designers, testers, and actually the fucking BUYERS all at once. It's like we're sitting here, saying, "Hey idiots, here's what you need to do, we'll even buy the bloody thing!" and it falls on deaf ears...

To be truthful, I actually looked at Ford's website to see if they were hiring designers for LR, no such luck. It's like the whole company is split into micromanaged teams. No one goes from original vision to production (or at least that's how the structure looked to me). And they wonder why no one buys their cars and they're so expensive to make?
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I like Scott's idea too. A new truck would be nice, but I want something trailworthy that isn't made of molded plastic. I can see it now, they will advertise the all new Defender with plastic body panels to minimize dents while off roading!
A new truck would also help keep the value of our vehicles up where they are. It is really going to suck when they release the all new Defender and the price of ours drops thousands in the bluebooks. The trucks won't even be anywhere near the same, but the name alone will kill the value.
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You know, if the plastic panels covered a full rollcage and solid support structure, and were cheap and easy to replace, they might not be TOO bad of an idea. 'Bash Em, Bust Em, Replace Em'

-Hans

Old January 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I've never been a huge J**P fan, but have to give credit where credit is due. J**P has been serious about building an off-road platform with serious capabilities, something very few manufacturers seem interested in doing these days, Land Rover included.

Like everyone else here, I'd love to see Land Rover build a seriously capable truck for the North American market again, but somehow doubt I will ever see it. Until then, it appears the J**P Rubicons are about the best we can currently buy from the showroom floor. I also thought the Gladiator concept was neat, and well executed as well, with front & rear locking diffs, 34" tires, winch. I wonder if this one will make it to production??

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/concept_cars/gladiator

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/gladiator.html

The Rescue also looked like a promising concept that seems to have real production possibilities (built on a modified RAM truck platform), but who knows, maybe that dumb A** Commander thing took its slot.

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html

http://jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0408_resc/

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...07_jeeprescue/

And than there is the J**P Hurricane concept. Now there is a vehicle that is forward thinking, and likely to be extremely capable off-road. The Dual engine thing seems a bit gimmicky, but 20" of suspension travel, four wheel steering, awesome approach/departure angles, Now here is a factory J**P that I doubt anything Land Rover has produced can keep up with, but its a concept, and far too advanced to ever see production I'm sure. Cool none-the-lees...

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/concept_cars/hurricane/

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...ne-Concept.htm

I love my Defender, and will never part with it, but I have to admit (as most here would probably agree), Land Rover has abandoned the enthusiast, in search of the money. Possibly a good strategy for their bottom line, possibly not, but at least J**P has not abandoned the enthusiast...

Old January 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

from the thelandroverchronicles, has anyone seen the pic of Gerry McGovern, Land Rovers advanced design director, in front of a "defender"? drawing?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat