New here. A gen question re: Rovers - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

My guesstimate puts the cost of operation for a new Wrangler and an '04 Disco at almost exactly the same numbers given current and near future fuel costs (going with a 16mpg avg as I tend to go easy on my trucks on the highway). I am assuming far higher maintenance and repair costs on the Disco; based on experience, I'll drop $800 every 75k for repairs like brake jobs and replacing sway bar link pins if I go to a dealer... even saying I'd spend $1k on the disco every 30k miles, and use a bit more, premium, gas, the costs work out very close. The difference comes down to amortized cost of buying them.

This ignores tax savings from buying a >6kip vehicle.

Unless I'm missing something... a lightly used Disco II is a lot more car for the money than a new Jeep which will devalue (initially) much faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2006, 06:09 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
How?
Well my truck's still stock. Has Toyo Open Country wheels on it (keep them up to pressure) and I use 89 octane fuel. I try not to drive it to hard either. Lowest I've ever gotten is about 15. I don't do that much highway driving either.
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Understood that. I get roughly 17-18mpg in the Jeep. There's no diesel replacement I've found that I'm willing to deal with.

I understood the Rovers to get 15-16mpg average; not much worse, but with a more straightforward path to diesel conversion, it makes more sense.

Reading the thread, I may be coming across as stubborn.

What got me to [re]consider LR in the first place was the diesel "option." As to reliability, Jeeps always get miserable reviews for reliability, but I've either been ridiculously fortunate, or the reliability stigma is inaccurate. I started thinking perhaps LR's reliability is more of a stupid-owner thing (the well-off soccer Mom and mall cruiser set).

Has anyone here done all recommended maintenance and had no catastrophic or even frustrating failures? Are there, on a board of enthusiasts, really so very few who can state the vehicles are "reliable" with maintenance done properly? The company pays for maintenance or I do it myself, so "maintenance" as per the LR manual, isn't an issue. But, if that's done, do you guys still expect failures that keep the trucks off the road?

Another example, I've got a Ducati motorcycle... it's had one glaring issue that's had it back to the shop twice. It's been otherwise reliable. The reliability or lack thereof for Ducatis is... well, it makes LR and Jeep look like Japanese products. I find it's really just not that bad. Same with our old wooden boat. (risk taker? glutton? me? naaaah)

I have had very good luck with mine as far as reliability, it doesn't even leak fluids. I just never thought of it as an everyday work truck. Lots of people in the rest of the world do though.
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Well my truck's still stock. Has Toyo Open Country wheels on it (keep them up to pressure) and I use 89 octane fuel. I try not to drive it to hard either. Lowest I've ever gotten is about 15. I don't do that much highway driving either.
Ahh ok that makes a little more sense.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
comparatively the defender is pretty good on reliability if maintained IMO. I've used the defender as a scout vehicle for
films for years. It never let me down. I would not however use it as a company vehicle for employees to drive, otherwise I see no problem.

If money is no object, for business use and surveilling, I would have ECR build a specific diesel 110. That way the Defender would be as new, specifically built, quirks sorted, and a tax write off. Over the years, the Rover would pay for itself, and resale would be good.

I don't see any other vehicle with the Rover's re-sale prowess. Parts will always be available, more so than other vehicles.
So in the long run, I say Defender all the way!
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Due to my truck's age, it seems even if I don't push it, something inevitably goes bad, all I have to do is drive it. This guy I know who works as a freelance news guy drives a 2001 quad cab tacoma pick up. It's loaded with emergency lights, radios and camera equiptment and he drives the shit out of it (I've been on ride alongs where he follows police pursuits). He even jumps the truck over the same gap in the road every night in Azusa and the only thing he's ever had to repair on the truck is new tires and brakes. I scratch my head how that thing keeps running with all the abuse he puts it through. This is by no means a Toyota plug because that truck is fairly new and I'm sure New D90's would be just as tough if not more. 97 D90's are too aged to take that kind of abuse and not expect problems in return. Ok time to change those A-arm bushings. Cheers

Neil
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
With a Disco he should get 15-17 easy...at least ours did

Keith's right though, we're all saying get something else, but we all have (had) at least one (myself, had 2 and I'm looking for another to replace them).

But if work's paying for it, and you're ready to dump 25-35K into a low mileage Defender, why don't you look at spending 5K for a high mileage '96 Disco 1, and put 15K into a diesel conversion and some purposeful mods (lift, protection) and have the Diesel you want, with a body style that's secure and large enough for your gear, and a fairly reliable truck (new engine, any drivetrain upgrades that you put in it) for the same or less money.
Just a thought.
Along those lines... Copley also has a 1990 RR County SWB that would be pretty sweet with a diesel. There was a RR County on eBay as well for even less, also SWB, ready for a new drivetrain.

ECR seems to be only interested in Defenders (and they are sweet). Any other advice for conversion shops on the east coast?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat