New H4 LED bulbs for Defender video by IPF :) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 9th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

They don't look like they would work in a Series rig, No access thru the back of the bucket. Waterproof? When I win Powerball I can upgrade!
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
So Andrew, these new H4 LED bulbs are a drop in replacement?

I guess I'm a purist, I just like the look of the old headlights and I dont care for the esthetics of these LED headlight housings.

These bulbs could be a game changer.

Yes, they are. What's nice about it is that with new advances in LEDs the bulb can just be swapped out rather than having to replace the entire headlamp assembly.
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I'm going to pair them with the latest Mercedes Geländewagen H4 housings which have a nice European look. They're US spec/DOT oddly enough. They have little city lights in them too I'll wire as DRLs. They're part number 4638200059. I may just need to custom mount them since they have tabs built onto them. I also have a new pair of Cibie E-codes to try them in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

G Wagon

Andrew, please keep us posted on this as it looks like a great install.
Rolf
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yes, they are. What's nice about it is that with new advances in LEDs the bulb can just be swapped out rather than having to replace the entire headlamp assembly.
well damn, that's a good argument!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Huge difference concerning what? .
I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, just trying to offer a professional observation on what I know about lighting and knock offs.

I make my living in the architectural lighting business and as such I have in depth knowledge when it comes to LED's, their use, construction and characteristics. What my point was is that there are a ton of folks claiming to be Philips, Cree and other products when in fact they just use the LED chip manufactured by these companies. LED's are only a small part of what makes them work and the thermal heat sinking and testing as well as the driver information is more important with high output LED's than ever before as they continually overdrive the products to get the maximum lumen output which they then heavily advertise to consumers. Without proper heat sinking they will only work initially and then they will degrade--and there are several ways this manifests including color shift, light loss, and failure.

The difference between being Philips and an off shore brand is that Philips heat tests everything they make and their facility and engineers are global in a multi-billion dollar industry. Knock off's from Tom-Dick-and-Harry, particularly first generation, are almost always rife with problems that they didn't anticipate. I personally see this all the time.

I trust people like JW Speaker, Truck-Lite, Sylvania, Philips, Cree and the like that make the complete system and test them (or are on next generation products).

I can put a Cree XM-L chip onto a piece of aluminum, hook up a driver and over drive the crap out of it for some incredible performance that may last 100 hours (maybe), more than enough time for a complete test and review, just to find that 3 months later it's output has fallen 50% and the beam starts to look green before it finally fails.

Please by all means, try them out---some work just fine. I was just chiming in for the distinction of chip manufacturer versus lamp manufacturer as there are loads of folks using the LED manufacturer to mask who actually makes the entire system.

And yes, I did read the reviews. I am currently in the market and started a thread on this just a couple weeks ago as well. So I am very interested in what you find out, whether a knock off or an actual IPF...
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Chris, it sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do. From the reviews I gathered the genuine Philips H4 LED bulbs are an improvement over halogen in the low beam, but not in the high beam. Apparently the Chinese knockoff distributed by CN360 has better light output for both, so I think they would be worth trying based on price. Since they're cheap it wouldn't be a tragedy if they burned out fast. The IPF bulbs have great reviews on Amazon Japan, but they're expensive and I'm not really that familiar with the brand. Are their products generally good?
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

IPF, if the same company that makes the rally lights (which I assume it is) is really a reflector design company and a good one at that. I have no clue if they are good at LED module design but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say they are due to the level of engineering they have as a company (but first Gen anything is always a learning experience so warranty is a huge deal). It takes some serious R&D to make a solid LED system but very little to mimick the design and guess. That is why I am on the fence buying a $300+ LED system when I can find some at $90... What is important to me is better ultra reliable lighting(when it comes to headlights). The reliable part is huge. Some knock offs are so cheap it is hard to resist. I have a $50 42" LED light bar that works great-- but it isn't an "essential" item so no biggie and it doesn't get much use. To me a headlight is essential particularly with my wife driving the 90 a lot.

When it comes to lamp design, proper heat sinking for longevity is a huge factor. It all boils down to keeping the LED Junction temperature within a specific range and typically the more heat sink the better. When an entire back of a lamp is made into a heat sink (such as Jw speaker or Truck-lite) you are going to dissipate way better than a small plug in module. To make up for it some incorporate a fan (try going through muddy water...) in order to keep in temp profile. (Such as: http://www.amazon.com/Car-Rover-Head.../dp/B00WWCFZWM).

I have had several halogen modules lead through the lamp/reflector interface when fording deep water, so a fully sealed lamp is a plus for me as well...

I'm not against the plug in modules. I am just hesitant to believe that some of them can put out twice as much light as others without adding some serious heat sink/hardware to accomplish it. You just can't get long term reliability and I think we are going to see a lot of the knock offs fail in one form or another...
Old January 11th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

You could buy a couple pairs of the knock-offs though and keep an extra pair in the truck just in case they burned out. The genuine Philips and the IPF both have a 3 year warranty, but of course it would be hard to get service from that in the US unless you could buy them from a reputable vendor like Amazon you could send them back to. For some reason it doesn't look like Amazon Japan is offering international shipping. The US vendor JDM astar is offering their own two year warranty on the knockoffs though, so those are probably the best bet for a warranty: https://www.jdmastar.com/index.php?r...product_id=313.
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I've been using these IPF E codes for 7 years at least .
With relays of course.

There is no DOT anywhere on the lens.

Recently, I went to a "new" inspection place and the guy there flagged me for not having covers on my Hella 4000's and for some tire rub marks on the radius arms(both illegal in the state of Virginia).
He didnt notice the headlights I'm guessing...I left and went back to my old place and passed with flying colors.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	139176  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 17th, 2016, 04:02 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I may try these in my D2...
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 17th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

Recently, I went to a "new" inspection place and the guy there flagged me for not having covers on my Hella 4000's and for some tire rub marks on the radius arms(both illegal in the state of Virginia).
He didnt notice the headlights I'm guessing...I left and went back to my old place and passed with flying colors.

Meanwhile I'm over there putting inspection stickers on Rob Goodall's truck
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:41 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Meanwhile I'm over there putting inspection stickers on Rob Goodall's truck
Virginia inspections are a joke. Sketchy shops thrive on the trivial work needed to be done to "pass" inspection. I thought Colorado was bad, VA blows.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Louisiana inspection is a joke.

"Did you drive it here?"

"Yep."

"Here's your sticker."
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
You guys can mock it all you want until you need it

Humans: Complain about how lax it is, unless it's not lax, in which case it's time to complain it is far too strict.
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:39 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Louisiana inspection is a joke. "Did you drive it here?" "Yep." "Here's your sticker."
Much rather be in that boat. I have to take a day off to get an inspection here. Inspections are literally keeping some shops open in VA. If you fail, plan to take another day off. Stupid
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The entire emissions testing is rather a joke as long as they allow the factories to pay a fine for "carbon credits" in lieu of cleaning up their shit. With the amount of new cars versus old cars on the road (hint: there are WAY more new cars) the overall emissions criteria doesn't amount to crap compared to industrial waste.
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

The CN360 bulbs got here pretty fast from China. I'm anxious to test them. The quality seems really good for the price.

Old January 26th, 2016, 08:37 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
The CN360 bulbs got here pretty fast from China. I'm anxious to test them. The quality seems really good for the price.
You mean you haven't installed them yet?!?!
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:

did you order from Ebay, Amazon, or straight from the company in China?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender