New guy here... Mass - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 9th, 2012, 08:29 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

New guy here... Mass

I just wanted to post a quick hi and introduce myself.

My name is Chris I am in metro west Boston. Currently I am the service manager at a specialty sports car tuning/repair facility. I started out in art school, with a concentration in sculpture made my way through the commercial/small feature film industry here in Boston. Then on to cabinetry and fine furniture making. After a stint doing that I felt I needed a change and found myself working as a tech at an independent Ferrari and Lamborghini facility (some of you local guys might know it). Tiring of that and wanting to work for myself I went on my own and opened a primarily Porsche based shop, then branched out to include all makes of interesting and collectable cars and collections maintenance (but still focused mostly on Porsche). After 6 years of trying to make it fly, making many mistakes and mainly wanting to concentrate on my children and wife I decided to hang it up and close shop. I had the good fortune to have fallen into the practice of repairing and modifying Nissan GTR's at the request of one of my newer customers, who had started selling aftermarket parts geared towards the then newly released GTR. We struck a deal since he was getting busier and I was wanting to get out, to open a facility that I would work for, that would afford me constant pay and plenty of time to be with my family.. a few years later we are 10 string, we are about to move into our own 9k sq building and i am very happy to be an integral part in a growing and successful company. Generally I'm not a "tuner guy" but I enjoy the people I work with, we have a lot of fun, we still (thankfully) get our share of F cars, I am working on expanding our capabilities to Lamborghini work, we still do plenty of Porsche repair and as of late built and started to campaign our own race car.

Personally I have 5 great kids, a few dirtbikes, a 72' Series III, 98 P38 RR (just turned 210k) it was my dad's since new, my wife drives a DII SE7 and I will put my daughter in a Disco or RR this year as she gets her license this summer.

I recognize a few of you here form other forums as some might recognize me.

Thanks for letting me air that out.

Here's some pics..

C

My old Classic and my P38

0 Mile motor going in...

Not bad an SE7 for $2k? and under 100k mi.!

New stuff for the Series
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120318_130237.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	51305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	51306  

Name:	20120423_222348.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	51307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120310_085811.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	51308  

Name:	20120401_201102.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	51309  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Chris,

Welcome to the D-90 Forum! Very nice collection, especially the Series III

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:57 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Welcome! Get ready to spend too much time here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Welcome!

I'm going to go on a limb and guess that you're at Kaizen in Acton?
I stumbled upon them when turning around behind a Dunkin Donuts several months ago. Cool shop.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

You are correct sir!! Stop in next time....they think I'm crazy because I don't like "tuning" cars and would rather own a Series... I just prefer vehicles with personality and soul.

www.kaizentuning.com

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2012 11:50 AM ------

Of course I'm the "old guy" in the shop. I thought I knew it all 20 years ago too.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have a friend of a friend so-to-speak that knows the Skyline GTR owner (I think) and remember hearing a pretty colorful story about how he came to posess that thing.

....and we ROW Defender owners think we have it tough with DOT!

Also, was the independent F-car shop you worked at located in Weston next to Yerardi's (Weston Auto)?
That place was supposed to become an actual Aston and Ferrari franchise in the late 1990s before the dot-com bubble burst!

I've had a number of P-cars, from early 911s to 996, but even though it was "vanilla" interms of power and handling, the 993 targa was probably the best looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	51331  
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I have a friend of a friend so-to-speak that knows the Skyline GTR owner (I think) and remember hearing a pretty colorful story about how he came to posess that thing.

....and we ROW Defender owners think we have it tough with DOT!

Also, was the independent F-car shop you worked at located in Weston next to Yerardi's (Weston Auto)?
That place was supposed to become an actual Aston and Ferrari franchise in the late 1990s before the dot-com bubble burst!

I've had a number of P-cars, from early 911s to 996, but even though it was "vanilla" interms of power and handling, the 993 targa was probably the best looking.

Which Skyline? The R35? That was purchased at Marlboro Nissan (we don't have any other Skyline's here other than R35's) I repeat..... (we don't have any other Skyline's here!!) From what I understand the fed's have been confiscating Skyline's lately!! No questions or alternatives, just gone. Then they crush them. I'm glad I don't know anyone who owns an earlier Skyline.

And yes it was in Weston. Back when it was fun to work there, and they actually did Ferrari and Lambo only work.

I love the 993 Targa... I don't know why they never caught on, always were a good value, IMHO.

72 911s mmmmm!!!!! now that's a nice one. Always been partial to 993 C2S, since I have 5 kids and don't need it anymore, I'd give my left nut for one.... Seal Grey or Black in case anyone is up for the trade.
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Too bad you are so far away or I would have you figure out how to get the torsion bars out of my 71 911 to adjust the suspension and allow me to do a bit of welding.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
If I alegedly had any knowlege of any Skylines I wouldn't name names or places, but the one I was talking about had originated in Florida and ironically (I may have this a bit wrong) was confiscated by the US Marshals or DEA or something only to be auctioned back off to the public. (Yes, our all-knowing government took an illegal import as a settlement/levy or whatever and simply released it back into the wild so-to-speak) Again, I was a third party to the story at best, but it was a good story nonetheless.

Just like it's not polite to ask how somebody registered a 110 Puma here in the states, I will not ask any questions about any Skylines. No Skylines, got it, nuff said!

I may be up in Westborough picking up some parts for somebody here on the board next week, maybe I'll swing by Acton and introduce myself. Where is the new garage? No longer behind the D&D on Rte 2A?

That Weston shop was that old stone building to the right of Weston Automotive, correct? They did take care of some nice vintage cars as well. Vic Yerardi used to own that building and he had a sweet collection of old Indy/Stock cars from the 1960s/1970s that he kept at his barn.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

You could be right on that Skyline story.... wish I knew where that car was now!

We are not in our new building yet, mid July. So stop by when in W'boro, I'll buy you a coffee. Let me know when your going to Mark's I'm heading over next week also, (parts for my series). Will you be bringing the 110? (on the want list..)

All correct on the Vic Yerardi history..

chris@kaizentuning.com is easiest
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Followed a GTR on the mass pike the other day. Until he put his foot down. Glorious sound even when he was half a mile in front.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:02 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

welcome to the board.

some land rover people will be getting together May 24th at Margarettas in Waltham 6:30.

your welcome to join
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Welcome. More pics of the series please

-Jeff

Ohh I am not so sure that's a good idea right now...

it's kind of like having an ugly sister, everyone says "Sister! Is she cute? Then they meet her and......"

it's got better days ahead of it.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Jeff, do you only buy trucks on years then end in 0? :-)

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Cmon. Have a look at the 109 in my registry. Its hard to get uglier.

-Jeff

eeeeewwwww!!!! The gauntlet has been thrown down. If we only had smellovision you'd get the full tour. I am pretty sure there were chickens living in this at one time or another.

On the plus side, in the trailer is a perfect tub, doors, hood and top. I also have a dern nice frame fer it. And it runs quite well.

i have been scrounging good bits here and there, I am getting ready for a balls out weekend of beer,meat and assembly. I plan to get as much done as I can in one shot. i have no plans to restore it right now, just save it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120318_124128.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	51389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120317_135252.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	51390  

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:24 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Welcome! You've got a nice stable going.

The pic with the grunge and mildew on your 88 looks similar I hate to say-mine has languished a bit here of late (but rectified this past weekend fortunately)

Speaking of crushers, I picked some parts at RDS today and George said he sees about 7 or 8 defenders a year from customs that he demobs before they crush them in NOLA. No chance for parts. He sees some get shipped back but some for whatever reason don't get the chance. Interesting to hear just how much customs knows about these rigs coming in.
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Great to see you saving that series Chris.

Jason, any details on why some get crushed? Any common traits like age or condition or features, or how they were imported perhaps?
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

You're right, I just like to play it up a bit. Truthfully the extra tub and bits i got with this truck are remarkably "near perfect" especially since the tub was sitting on the ground for a looong time (it was doubling as a tool shed) sunk 1" into the soil. I consider it a good deal @ $700 almost 2 complete trucks. The bulkhead isn't bad, needs footwells, the door posts are still good. I am in need of a good radiator surround (breakfast?) mines useable/fixable, but I prefer to not have to patch and have it the only part on the truck with new paint. Green, blue or white... When/if I paint it I probably will go with a quick single stage Parchment, I like the white 88's.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Great to see you saving that series Chris.

Jason, any details on why some get crushed? Any common traits like age or condition or features, or how they were imported perhaps?

Well George didn't want to go into much detail, but, my impression was it has to do with how flagrant the offense and who the buyer was stateside.

If you pulled a VIN swap overseas, or were a drug dealer, my impression is you are a candidate for crushing. But I didn't push for details and he said he doesn't mess with any of that stuff, and said he wouldn't even risk a NA to Tdi swap in the originating country.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:12 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

update:

I just thought I'd throw a quick update to my Series build

So far I finished the repairs needed to the donor frame, painted it. Fitted the body, fixed door gaps and leveled the tub, doors and plumbed the bulkhead. I fixed the pass footwell and door post, and now have moved on to the drivers side.

I sourced a pickup top and D90 rear seat, some 16" rims and tires. I have been scrounging the parts I need here and there. I have a few items still hanging out there I need to pickup.

I have been unemployed for the last 2 months, so my free flowing cash has been limited, but now I have a ton of time, except I spend it mostly with my kids finishing up summer break. I have worked a ton in the past 7 years or so and have missed some quality time with the family, so now its been nice to be hanging out with them, stressful on the finances but good for the soul.

Next is finish the footwells sort out the hydraulics, and running gear, finish rebuilding the last leaf spring and paint the rest of her Pastel Green. I'll finish the pickup top, I sourced a canvas top out of the UK for cheap, so once I pay for it that will be on its way. Get her running and stopping, should be good for some test drives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120808_170043.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	57090   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715_120056.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	57101  

Name:	20120722_184921.jpg