New Engine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
icurnmedic
Thomas Church
1994 Red D90

New Engine?

When buying a Defender that the engine has been replaced on , are there any traps or pitfalls I need to look for. Are there certain engines or types of engines to avoid. Also what mileage after the engine has been replaced is a good indicator that it is OK ? Ive been told that the original D-90 engines were 300K+ engines, so obviously I do not know if a Chevy, or Ford engine would be as dependable. Or they may not even work for that matter. Heck they may be just as dependable , I dont know, but any insight on this would be appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"When buying a Defender that the engine has been replaced on , are there any traps or pitfalls I need to look for."

As long as it has a rover V8 it does not matter really. Obviously a 4.6 should increase the value and a 4.0 or 3.9 is considered stock.

"Are there certain engines or types of engines to avoid."

Anything non-land rover you should be cautious of.

"Also what mileage after the engine has been replaced is a good indicator that it is OK ?"

10 miles.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A like-for-like replacement should raise less flags than a swap of some kind. Even with rover diesel swaps, you want some assurance that everything has been done properly. I don't know anyone here with 300k on a Rover v8, but I know some are pushing over 200k - at the same time, some are junk before 125k if they've had extended oil change intervals, been overheated, or otherwise abused. A Ford or Chevy engine ought to be every bit as dependable, but I'd say they're a lot less desirable. Before you buy it, you'd have to convince yourself that it was installed by someone with a brain, and then you'll have to convince a buyer of the same thing if you ever want to sell it. This extra convincing process does not typically influence your sale price in a positive way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

We did a 4.3 Chevy conversion ( w/ ZF autobox) last year- great swap, but had to take a bath at time of sale. Conversely, we put a new 4.6 in your old truck ( and bushings, paint, etc) and had lots of interest- and has been a great truck to date for the new owner. Stick w/ a Rover motor :-) , not better, but better/more readily accepted.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
icurnmedic
Thomas Church
1994 Red D90

OK , bought the truck, it looks great, the dealer says that it has a 3.9 replaced, but I cant see anywhere where it says anything about being a LR engine, looks like one but it has been painted grey, don't know what that's about, but seems to run good, for the most part. A few questions though. It was purchased and driven about 200 miles on Wednesday, no hiccups except the temperature gauge doesnt work. The guy says something like the sensor is bad and that it needs replaced so he unhooked it.He drove it about 145 miles to meet me , so I figured hey, must be OK. Well today I hooked the sensor up, and cranked the vehicle, immediately the gauge was at the half way mark, after it ideled a while it went into the Red area, but no steam and the engine otherwise appears to be fine. Tell me is that a sign of a bad sensor , or is there something else I need to be looking at?
Next question is I was driving this evening, and I went to turn the wheels sharply and I felt some resistance and a poping noise, came on home then when I was turning to pull into the garage, it was like the wheels wouldnt turn to the left, so i straightened them out and then they turned. What would be the culprit of this malfunction? Anyway thanks guys for the imput , Thomas
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would get a infrared temp gun and check the temp of the engine. If the real temp is in the red, don't drive the truck, it could cause a lot of damage.

As for the CV, it is an easy fix. You could get another one from a Disco and replace it cheap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine, new engine