Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
New Delhi, India - Anyone Been?

Heading to New Delhi, India this month, anyone been there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Slumdog millonaire !!
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
India

Bring some pepto!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2010, 07:19 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

Take anti biotics

I haven't been, but lived in other parts of China and Asia and have been with many people on the return. Get a prescription to antibiotics for stomach issues in advance as well as all vaccines. Eat only really well cooked food, clif bars you take with you and fruit that is peeled. Don't think fruit and salads are safe, the worst thing you can eat when you think of the water used to wash them off. Any like Mex, don't drink water.... You'll be fine if you do all the above...
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I've been to the armpits of the world too. New Delhi is a major metropolitan city and I'll be in some of the more upscale areas. I was hoping people might have some "touristy" advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Don't eat any meat products off street vendors!

---------- Post added January 7th, 2010 at 01:31 AM ----------

Have a nice trip
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Don't eat any meat products off street vendors!
Some of the street venders in South Korea had some of the best "meat" on a stick. We called it rat on a stick. For $1 you got some sort of meat, but it sure tasted good!

Semper Fi!
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd love to visit India.

Do you have time to nip over to the Tata plant in Uttarakhand for a tour? Take pictures!
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Been there few times, also Goa, Ahmebadad, Bombay, Agra and Jaisalmer ( drove through couple others but only spend the night Jaipur and Bangalore ).

Driving is a biatch, food is pretty suckie ( even at expensive restaurants )

New Delhi is like all major cosmopolitan cities, you have upscale and the ghetoes.

Don't wear any flashie jewelry, unless you want to deal with the beggers x 10 and expose to a bad momentum with some small time thief.

If you are staying at an upscale Hotel, eat there, it is pretty safe.

Gustavo
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Some of the street venders in South Korea had some of the best "meat" on a stick. We called it rat on a stick. For $1 you got some sort of meat, but it sure tasted good!
Probably Saint Bernard.

Poor dog.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Holy crap, I have been in some of the armpits of the world, any Delhi ranks up there with many of them. The smog is so dense my eyes were burning from the cab ride to the hotel. Here's the first pic I took on the short ride to the hotel.

As I was standing by the pool this morning I watched the construction site next door. There were two guys and two women building a concrete building. The women were carrying large hub caps full of concrete on their heads to the men, who would then dump the concrete in the forms. What is used for reinforcement you say? Bamboo! Then they wonder why buildings collapse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	24750  

Semper Fi!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Hey man, I'm real late to find this post. Next time you go let me know. There are some places there to get some fantastic food real cheap. Well... that is if you like indian food. I grew up on the stuff so I'm a bit biased. As for toursity stuff it depends on what interests you.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got back a few weeks ago. I did the usual siteseeing and a found a great Indian restaurant down the road from the US embassy - Lazeez Affaire. I picked up a nasty case of food posioning somewhere, so now even thinking about Indian food makes me ill. I was so sick I had to cancel my trip to the Taj Mahal.

Sadly, I didn't see a single Rover.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Without fail, everyone I know that has been to India has gotten sick from food. Oh the joy.
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
BAH. I love Indian food and one day when I go I'm taking my chances and hitting the kind of places I am sure Dan is referring to. A place with a name of "Lazeez Affaire" does not sound like it to me.
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
BAH yourself! I hit a few a "hole in the wall" places, that's where I likely got sick from.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

sounds like the kind of trip you fast and pray on so you don't go from the "hole in the wall" to hole in the stomach!!
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

My last trip was about 4 or 5 years ago. We found a couple great places to eat in Delhi, you really have to be careful about fresh vegetables/salads, and drinks with ice in them etc. If you buy a drink like soda, beer, or water, make sure you get the sealed bottle. If you order a drink with hard liquor, get it straight up, no ice.

My wife went with me on the last trip, it was her first trip to India she did just fine. In fact she got along better than my mom who grew up there. She said the best part of the trip for her was going to the small towns and villages where my grandparents were from, and going to some of the local restaurants for food. There was one night we went out for dinner, took a taxi to town, had dinner, went to another place for deserts, took a taxi back and the whole evening cost us $6.

BTW, I only speak english and they spot me as American a mile away so I really don't have much of an advantage over anyone else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat