Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It probably the same folks who have a 110 on ebay right now. Their ad claims they can import it into washington by disassembling it. Sounds too good to be completely legit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You mean like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14746

I do like the rear seat setup. That silver looks sharp.

Or this:

One can only dream...

I do like this one very much. I wonder how I could get that titled and registered here:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave I never new you liked STs. I think all the 5 bar looks good! I also like the color.
Old January 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
dante18
Dante
None

Does the word "replikit" or "assembled vehicle" sound an alarm for anyone else? I wonder if they could supply a VIN for it? And no warranty should speak volumes about whether or not this is an actual factory vehicle or a kitcar. I wonder?
Although the 110 with the softop is pretty cool I could have fun in that.
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

Check out the Defenders for sale thread on the Rover Landers of BC board

http://www.openroad.ca/landrover/classifieds/index.mv
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
The first two defenders surely cannot be registered - they are 2003 vehicles plain and simple. The thirds should be OK as it is C registered in UK (1985). Nice rig, oughta go for $30,000 at least.
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I don't know if the company is legit, but the procedure they propose will work. The price of the vehicle includes reassembly and titling in the state of Washington. I checked into doing this, and 99% of the people that will help you do this, remove the VIN tags because truck is sold for parts only. Therefore, you get a state issued VIN as a kit car, and have no problems. The warranty would not apply, as the car was not "manufactured" by LR.
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:45 PM
exmodlad

Keith
I have personally seen the 110 soft top......and it would be in your wildest dreams you could you buy that truck for $30,000....maybe double that......MAYBE!!!!!

Gord
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:47 PM
exmodlad

also the 110s on the Roverlanders website are the same trucks.....

Gord
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM
cdn_expedition_co
Steven Chanyi
'85 Defender 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally posted by dante18
Does the word "replikit" or "assembled vehicle" sound an alarm for anyone else? I wonder if they could supply a VIN for it? And no warranty should speak volumes about whether or not this is an actual factory vehicle or a kitcar. I wonder?
Although the 110 with the softop is pretty cool I could have fun in that.
Anyone with more than a week's experince with Defenders in the NA market knows that it is impossible to import a complete vehicle. The only legal way is to disassemble the vehicle, import it as auto parts, re-assemble it and register it as an "assembled vehicle" (US) or "replikit" (BC). As such, the VIN on the vehicle is ignored and the authorities assign it one (in the US it's usually the State Patrol after they do a stolen vehicle/parts check, in BC it's ICBC)

These are factory vehicles produced for UK export markets. The reason there is no warranty is because Land Rover doesn't sell these into the North American market.

I am acquiring a number of them for an expedition company, and as I'm already going through the arduous task of getting them here thought I'd make some surplus models available to other Defender fans. If you don't think it's legit, don't buy one Doesn't matter to me, I'll have mine

You'll undoubtedly see the eBay auctions disappear soon. Seems some other naysayer, with a vested interest in preventing new vehicles entering the US market has complained to eBay stating that importation is illegal. eBay, having received the complaint cancelled the 110 SW auction. I'm sure the others will soon suffer the same fate.

Since listing, I've had about 200 e-mails from the US:

- can I get this in the US?
- why don't they have automatics?
- can I get one in green?
- this isn't legal?
- is this as a good as a Jeep?
- etc.,etc.

Makes me wonder why I bothered
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

You bothered because you saw a way to:

1. Make some money
2. Recoup the time/effort you went through to get your own trucks
3. Help another misguided LR-desperate newbie get their own dream truck

Not to mention you probably care too much (I know I do).

You'll sell them, but you're going to get a LOT of tire kickers.

I had people e-mailing me asking if I sold CKD kits and the only thing I ever did was post information and pics from SEMA on my site.

Sheeshe.

EDIT: One thing you might consider is offering them in their dissasembled state. Make sure they know they're buying a dissasembled vehicle, but that it is enough parts for a complete vehicle that will run if assembled correctly.

You'll be able to sell them easier (IMO), the buyer will have an easier time registering it in their own state (IMO), but you'll have to charge a little less (but have less of a headache).

Plus, you eliminate any liability for not having put it together properly.

If Joe Homeowner puts the truck together on his own, then the NTSB is completely out of the picture and it's the state DMV and/or police who determine what it is and how it should be registered.

Just something I've learned over the past 5 years....

:D
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:08 PM
cdn_expedition_co
Steven Chanyi

Quote:
Originally posted by Tawayama
You bothered because you saw a way to:
1. Make some money
2. Recoup the time/effort you went through to get your own trucks
3. Help another misguided LR-desperate newbie get their own dream truck
Not to mention you probably care too much (I know I do).
Yeah, OK. I did build in US$1000/vehicle in my reserve price. The whole thing seemed a good idea at the time, but NEVER again.
Quote:

You'll sell them, but you're going to get a LOT of tire kickers.
You win the award for understatement of the year. And not just tire kickers, but complete wankers as well. Un-friggin-believeable.
Quote:

I had people e-mailing me asking if I sold CKD kits and the only thing I ever did was post information and pics from SEMA on my site.
The bit that kills me, is the number of people writing and asking how to register the car in their state. Geez, just do a web search for "register assembled vehicle" and add your state name. Most of the DMV sites are online, the regulations are there. Friggin lazy-a** people
Quote:

EDIT: One thing you might consider is offering them in their dissasembled state. Make sure they know they're buying a dissasembled vehicle, but that it is enough parts for a complete vehicle that will run if assembled correctly.
Dude, I'm washing my hands. I figure whoever the whinger was that got the 110SW auction cancelled did me a HUGE favour. Now I'm thinking "do I want these people driving on the same roads/trails I use. God no. Once the auctions are down, or ended, I'll NEVER try that again. Too much headache, too little reward.

I take your point about selling them as "kits", but can you imagine the nightmare that would cause - I'd end up building them over the phone: for FREE
Quote:

Just something I've learned over the past 5 years....
Dude I wish knew 5 days ago what I know now.
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Not trying to be a smart a**, but how do you only have $1000 profit built in on a truck that you are asking $46000 for? You can buy ROW spec 110's like you are offering for $27000 all day long. It must be costing you a hell of alot to get these things dis/reassembled and shipped.

Chris
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:48 PM
exmodlad

hahhahaha....i knew this was going to happen Steve.....everyone has all the answers but no balls to do it........good on ya my friend.....

Gord
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cox
Not trying to be a smart a**, but how do you only have $1000 profit built in on a truck that you are asking $46000 for? You can buy ROW spec 110's like you are offering for $27000 all day long. It must be costing you a hell of alot to get these things dis/reassembled and shipped.

Chris
Too late Chris, you already did it by just asking the question.

First off, if you've never dissasembled and then re-assembled a vehicle you have no idea what it takes, both financially and mentally. Doing your 300Tdi conversion doesn't count.

Second, you don't know what it took him to source the vehicles, find a broker, have them secured within a container and shipped over (not to mention the physical risk to the container, high seas, dropped from gantry, etc...).

Third, there is no way that you can say what he 'should' make in profit margin from selling these vehidles.

I don't go around questioning what everyone else charges for their product, either I agree with them and purchase, or I disagree with them and don't. If my doctor makes 50K from removing my diseased kidney and saves my life, I can't say that he got paid too much. If someone invents widget 'X', mortgages his house (twice) and then strikes it rich when widget 'X' becomes the fashion accesory of the millenium, how can I begrudge him his sucess and profit.

If Mr. Canadian Expedition Society (whom I've never met, but wish all the luck in his future endeavors), wants to import a few uncommon LR's to N. America, deal with the wankers and tire kickers and make a few bucks, then so be it.

I know I'll never buy another Defender, nor will I make another Defender as long as I live. I've had my fun twice now, and that was more than enough. But, if someone wants the thrill of a lifetime and buys one from him, thinks it's 'worth it' to shell out whatever it takes and does it, then great.

I just really hate it when the closet nay-sayers or the 'how-dare-you-charge-that-much-for-an-ROW-Defender-that-I-know-cost-you-XXX-ers' come around and are a PITA.

Sorry for the rant, I've just heard it all before and it still pisses me off.

I know it shouldn't but it does. Like I said, I care too much.

Old January 12th, 2004, 05:18 AM
cdn_expedition_co
Steven Chanyi

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cox
yep. buy it for US$27,000, dis-assemble for US$4500, ship it for US$2500, customs duties about $2500, re-assembly, US$4500, my US$1000. Total = $42,000. Add 10% of the advertised price which is to compensate for the discount EVERYONE wants as a starter to negotiatins. Damn if that doesn't all add up to the advertised price.

I'd heard that US schools were failing in teaching math. Didn't realise the problem was so widespread.

So smart a**, you writing your checque for $42,000?
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:43 AM
cdn_expedition_co
Steven Chanyi

Quote:
Originally posted by exmodlad
hahhahaha....i knew this was going to happen Steve.....everyone has all the answers but no balls to do it........good on ya my friend
Gord man, I should have talked to you before I posted the ads Never in a million years did I think I'd get this much BS. I naiively figured a bunvjh of LR fans would see the ads, and say "sh*it, new diesel Defenders with like 100 miles for the same price as a 97 D90 with 30,000 miles - where do I get in line". I also figured that the average person knew how to circumvent the protectionist import rules. And that people understood the laws in their state. Man, am I an idiot

I've got people who can't get their heads around time zones calling me at all hours, and the ridiculous e-mails keep pouring in.

For those who aren't familiar with the rules that every lover of rare and exotic cars knows, here's a synopsis:
  • every state allows the registration of self build cars, in one form or another
  • self build cars are exempt from many DOT requirements, and do not have to carry DOT approval stickers because they are not built by a manufacturer
  • self build cars are generally exempt from EPA requirements (although most modern engines meet them anyway), even in CA where emissions laws are strictest. Worst case is you have to pass an emmissions test. No issue.
  • importation of auto parts is different than importing a kit (kits are purchased from auto manufacturer's who often must meet DOT and EPA requirements.

It takes about 20 minutes on Yahoo! to find the information, and a couple of calls to verify, but so many people keep talking out their a**es about something they know nothing about.

I can guarantee you, except for my own use and close friends, I will never, NEVER, do this again. Not for two, or even three times the cost price. I love Defenders, love driving them, and love sharing the experience with others, but I'm stepping back into the closet with this hobby.
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:28 AM
exmodlad

Well Steve i have had considerable experiance dealing with a mostly uninformed market...but then let this be a valuable lesson and move on......your idea of a expedition company sounds most uplifting and the fact you have chosen Land Rovers to display this venture tells me you are the lover of the marquee....you know what it is, you want and are will to do the research and spend the time to do it....

Unlike most arm chair quarterbacks just want to sit back in there easy chair's, with there big can of beer and a pissy attitude, and think there in control....you really should pity them...as at least you have one of the nicest 110s i have seen...

next to mine of course...... :o)))) .....

At least you have a goal and are working to get there and all the rest only have dreams, that most will never get to see come true.
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. And I have disassembled a Defender, so I do know what it takes to disassemble one. I was just questioning how there was only $1000 profit. The guy made the statement, and I just wanted to understand where he was coming from. Furthermore, he agreed with me that it was costing him alot to get them dis/re-assembled. Don't see how that made me a smart ass. Apologies if it seemed that way Steven, which is def. what I did not intend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender