Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I have posted on this before, just a month or two ago, but LR is building a New Defender and it is supposed to be based on the LR4 platform. I have not yet seen pictures, but hold out hope that it will be similar to the 4dr Rubicon. For all of you who say it won't be as capable, I highly doubt that. You would be surprised at how much MORE capable the new LR products are than their predecessors in stock form. Granted, the aftermarket has done wonders for the current defender and discovery, and it will certainly be more expensive to upgrade newer ones, but I am confident that their capability will not suffer.

As for the Sport theory, I believe that it was LR's goal to bring back a RR in that size/price segment. The 2003 grew quite a bit from the P38 in both areas. If you take a tape measure to it, you will see that the Sport is essentially a new P38 in size and price. The Range Rover is more expensive and larger than ever and they needed to fill the gap that it created in their line-up. Just my $.02

It would seem then that this is no more than the platform redundancy seen from other car manufacturers, notably GM, in the past. The Sport is built on the LR4 platform and aside from trim is essentially the same. So, what are you getting with this supposed new Defender built on the LR4 platform aside from a different body?

This is a cost effective manufacturing process, but it alienates the enthusiast. Not a knock on the LR4, by the way. I've got one and it's a tremendous vehicle, but I also have a D90 because it's a different vehicle and not just in looks.

On another note, I've heard some rumblings that LR are considering separating brands into a Range Rover line, for the luxury set, and the Land Rover line for the more utilitarian versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
If the new 4 door Wrangler had defender like front fenders and a traditional Land Rover roof would you guys have bought it?
depends on the amount of rivets, sound deadening material, shitty hvac and if it has vents under the windshield. if all that checks out then probably yes, otherwise Ill keep schlepping along in my Defender until it rusts away
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I did buy the new Wrangler when it first came out as my daily. The closest new vehicle with a warranty to a Defender on the market. Was a great one till it hit 60k and the motor went bad. Hence sold.
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Jeep

I bought a new unlimited Rubicon in 2008, fun truck, too much plastic, under powered, but really capapble.

The AEV J8 is a really capable vehicle, and if Jeep ever gets around to a diesel rubicon, I would buy another as a DD

Quote:
If the new 4 door Wrangler had defender like front fenders and a traditional Land Rover roof would you guys have bought it?
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
I bought a new unlimited Rubicon in 2008, fun truck, too much plastic, under powered, but really capapble.

The AEV J8 is a really capable vehicle, and if Jeep ever gets around to a diesel rubicon, I would buy another as a DD
They do have diesel, just not for the US.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
It would seem then that this is no more than the platform redundancy seen from other car manufacturers, notably GM, in the past. The Sport is built on the LR4 platform and aside from trim is essentially the same. So, what are you getting with this supposed new Defender built on the LR4 platform aside from a different body?

This is a cost effective manufacturing process, but it alienates the enthusiast. Not a knock on the LR4, by the way. I've got one and it's a tremendous vehicle, but I also have a D90 because it's a different vehicle and not just in looks.

On another note, I've heard some rumblings that LR are considering separating brands into a Range Rover line, for the luxury set, and the Land Rover line for the more utilitarian versions.
I might be mistaken, but I thought the 94-97 Defenders shared the same platform as the Discovery of the same era.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
I might be mistaken, but I thought the 94-97 Defenders shared the same platform as the Discovery of the same era.
Pretty close. The RRC, the Disco 1 and the Defender were on very similar frames, and used the same drivetrain and suspension components. But that was back when all Land Rovers were built to take a beating. The new Disco and RR are capable, but too fragile for a life off road.

Speaking of Defender news -- http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/auto...efender-output

------ Follow up post added April 17th, 2011 04:49 PM ------

Quote:
Yep, a pretty good one too. But after driving my sis's 4 door Wangler, the diesel wouldn't swing me. Too much plastic, crappy assembly, and they suffer from the same "gun slit window syndrome" as the H3, makes you feel like you're sitting on the floor. I like the bottom of the door window to be at or below the level of my elbow, not my ears.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

Shouldn't that prototype be under the subsection 'Land Rover that suck!' ????
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
There was a blurb in the latest Automobile magazine. New Defender coming to the states 2014. Said it won't be as "badass". Ya think?
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
yes.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred View Post
yes.
And a proper (diesel) engine....
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Jeep has the 2.8 Diesel in the Rubicon in the EU but only in the Automatic. Go figure.. Look to Fiat to provide diesels to Chrysler...we can only hope wait isn't it "fix it again Tony"?

I think you can look to the current Defender and see the future. It isn't going to be anything like the Defenders we drive today....
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:46 PM
tarck
wat
RRC, D-90

I hope it will have LED fog lights and dual sport exhaust.
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:05 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Look to Fiat to provide diesels to Chrysler...we can only hope wait isn't it "fix it again Tony"?

I resemble that remark... And stoopidly enough, I owned a Fiat for 8 years (an X1/9, FFS!).

The Fiat diesels are well regarded, and also used by Pug and Citroen (Fiat builds the vans for all three brands at their factory in Italy). They are common rail, and come in 2.2 (100hp/184ftlb), 2.3 (120hp/236lbft) and 3.0 (157hp/295lbft) liters. If Chrysler is going to bring one to the US, it will probably be the 3.0, although the 2.3 would be plenty for a 2 door Heep.

Given there is a wide market for a vehicle similar to the existing Defender, I'm betting Tata will continue to make some form of body on frame/solid axle Defender-type vehicle. There are preliminary plans for Defender production in Thailand, with a switch to rear leaf springs (Defender/Massif hybrid!) to fit in to Thailand's lower tax rate for locally built utility trucks.

That said, I doubt the US will get that vehicle, or one even remotely similar. Even if Tata splits the LR and RR brands, I think any LR branded vehicle in the US will be derived from the Discovery platform in use at that point. Between NHTSA and DEQ rules and the lobbying from the IIHS, the current Defender platform is never going to fly in the US (and likely not the EC, where they have even regulated the noise level of off-road tires).

And, let's not forget, even the current Puma Defender is still loud, crude, slow, not particularly comfortable and has a less than stellar reputation for reliability. You, me and maybe 100,000 other people in the US think the existing Defender is cool, and maybe 25% of us (not including me) would actually sign up to buy one. That is not going to light the Marketing department on fire. They may understand it is a niche vehicle, but they want a bigger niche in a market of 200 million consumers.

If a vehicle called Defender is sold in the US, it will be the LR equivalent of the FJ Cruiser. It will be a capable off-roader, but it will not be a classic Defender.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
If a vehicle called Defender is sold in the US, it will be the LR equivalent of the FJ Cruiser. It will be a capable off-roader, but it will not be a classic Defender.
I think you are probably right. Looking at what Jeep did to the Wrangler, a move away from the tougher sparten vehicle to a more comfortable road vehicle that may or may not ever see something other than asphalt, I'd think that Tata would follow suit. I certainly can't see any sizeable market for the real Defender. Hell, where I live 3 out of 4 vehicles are 4 wheel drive and when it snows no one is to be seen! Forget about off roading. It's all image.
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
x2, it might split the difference between "appearing" rugged and actually being a bit rugged, but with a modern interior/amenities.

...no thanks
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

Maybe the new defender will be able to park itself ala prius?
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I should have written "and maybe 25% of us (not including me) would actually sign up to buy a new Puma."

------ Follow up post added May 6th, 2011 02:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
x2, it might split the difference between "appearing" rugged and actually being a bit rugged, but with a modern interior/amenities.

...no thanks
And we all ready have the Disco, it's roomy and comfortable and pretty capable right off the showroom floor.

Looking at the FJ Cruiser, the H3 and the newest Heep, form won over function. All of them have reasonable off road capability, but the visibility out of them is awful, and I fear the same for any Defender Pretender vehicle. That's why I liked my RRC, and why I like my 110 -- you sit high in a big open greenhouse of a cab, where you can see the corners and look down right to the ground next to the truck. Or in the case of my 110, through the floors at the ground under the truck...
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
concept defender, new defender, tata