New Defender will be Hybrid/Electric only - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2017, 12:46 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

New Defender will be Hybrid/Electric only

Not sure if anyone else noticed this. All Land Rover models from 2020 on will be hybrid or all-electric. That would include the Defender.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...brid-cars-2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2017, 02:41 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Yeah. I think I titled the thread "the blah" or "whatever." I believe that verbiage is for shock/PC value, but what they will actually do is off a hybrid or electric vehicle in each body style. No way SV and the 500 million dumped into ingenium would be pleased if that were otherwise so.

Yup, it was the later...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...er-117721.html
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:34 AM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

I'm all for hybrid or electric technology... but McGovern/JLR is going to ruin the Defender aren't they? I just read a quote from him that the Defender won't be "boxy". I was just looking at a Jeep JK lower windscreen/hinge area and they have done a beautiful job bringing their bulkhead into the present... so it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Plenty of truth behind the story: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...potted-testing
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah, if they kept it looking good, I think hybrid/electric would be okay, but I can't imagine anything on it would be easy to fix in the field. If anything on it took a dump on an expedition you'd probably be screwed. Also, I think going electric might be a little premature since a lot of power generation isn't clean yet. But on the other hand, it could only be 10-15 years before the first commercial fusion power plants come online.
Old September 19th, 2017, 12:57 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Not sure if anyone else noticed this. All Land Rover models from 2020 on will be hybrid or all-electric. That would include the Defender.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...brid-cars-2020
All new models released after 2020 will be, but not models already released by 2020, for those they will continue producing. I guess this means they actually have to release this defender by 2020 now.

"Industry watchers had spotted earlier this year that JLR had trademarked a series of car names that suggested an electric future, although the company will continue to build existing petrol and diesel models beyond 2020."
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:05 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yeah, if they kept it looking good, I think hybrid/electric would be okay, but I can't imagine anything on it would be easy to fix in the field. If anything on it took a dump on an expedition you'd probably be screwed.
Hmm...I think of a world where 40kW motors weighing 60lbs come straight from China into shelves in sub-saharan Africa. These motors are compact, require no fluids, and a random store in the middle of nowhere could fit several on a hand-made wood shelf.

Let's say that the 40kW motors are not available. What's left are 30lb 20kW motors designed to match the bolt pattern and shaft on your truck. Let's say your truck takes two motors. Your motor controller automatically adjusts, and you can limp forward to the next shop for your journey.

Besides the electric motor, which is in theory much, much, much more reliable than any dino motor, the battery is the only other weak spot. But think of charging it from a 10KW PV array erected by a remote sun-baked village, or a diesel generator.

I'm more bullish on electric, but that's just me.

Quote:
But on the other hand, it could only be 10-15 years before the first commercial fusion power plants come online.
As an engineer, I find that prediction just a tad bit optimistic. I think it's going to be more like 40 or 50 years before reactor technology for even basic commercial fusion comes online, and that's assuming we can even sort the tritium production problem, which is severe. But at least in the meantime, we can have free fusion energy from the big reactor in the center of our solar system

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender