New Defender Musings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
New Defender Musings

Picked up a 2002 Wrangler for my son whoís close to driving age. Got me to thinking about that new Defender concept. This TJ with the hard top on is about as quiet as a Disco I, air bags, great A/C , and fairly easy to work on. Hard top comes off in five minutes with two people. Soft top on and off easily. A JK looks like a TJ, which looks like a YJ, which looks like a CJ, and so on. You could take a brand new Wrangler and park it next to a WWII GP and know without a doubt that they are both Jeeps. If jeep were to redesign the Wrangler to look like an FJ Cruiser, their sales would plummet and Toledo would probably be burnt to the ground. They know that, thatís why every new model still looks like the older ones.

Why canít LR build the new Defender to LOOK like the old ones, but yet integrate all the new technology? It would be just as easy to do so as it would to build that monstrosity that they are parading around. Use enough technology to keep it viable in todayís market but keep it as simplistic as possible. Spec it to be able to sell in every market. Easy on and off hardtop, foldable soft top, rollcage. It ain't rocket science.

They would sell millions.
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Makes you wonder.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Very good point - but is the concept confirmed to be a new Defender yet? There could still be hope?
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think there would be a rivalry between the new 90 people and us, old timers... Kinda like the Jeep's square headlight guys and the round headlight guys.

The value of our trucks would drop by 66%. Not that these are investments, but it is nice to have the prices up.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
I actually have the opposite opinion. If LR keeps with their 'Concept Defender' the value of our oldies will continue to go up as they will become more scarce. Just like a Toyota FJ-40 is still holding value in the face of the new FJ's.

Just my .02, which ain't worth as much as it was 4 years ago.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
There are some who believe that price will not drop, or actually increase when the last one roll off the line. But that is the ROW markets saying that, hard to say what will happen over here.

You know, they've fixed the doors, dash and HVAC, they could very easily stamp out a one piece firewall/body pan in the same shape as the old configuration and improve the Defender dramatically without changing the shape or functionality and keep making them as is. Then they could add airbags. And a full interior rollcage. Make a fiberglass hardtop with the sides incorporated along with a rear liftgate. Design a folding softop. (that was actually done by a french company, don't know why they aren't being made anymore.)

They need to fire McGovern and let me take over the design department!
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
How about hot dip galvanizing the bulkhead, hinges, and frame? A power steering pump that doesn't leak would be nice. A transfer case that doesn't leak would be great. How about stock lockers front and rear? Or heavy duty axles?

I'm guessing the real reason for lack of progress on a Defender is a 6 letter word that starts with P and ends with T.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I think there would be a rivalry between the new 90 people and us, old timers... Kinda like the Jeep's square headlight guys and the round headlight guys.
If the new defender is released and isnt so fugly, I'd want one as a daily driver. That way I could keep miles off my 94, use the 94 as a weekend fun car and still have roof/doors/windows/silence every now and then.

Only problem is that DC100 is fugly. Very fugly.
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
One of the Land Rover Execs was quoted saying there is another vehicle coming that was more "utilitarian". If I can find the article, I'll post it. We can only hope that it is the replacement, not the DC100...
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Selfishly, I don't want a "proper" replacement. I like where LR is going with the DC100.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Selfishly, I don't want a "proper" replacement. I like where LR is going with the DC100.
You shut that mouth!
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
The target market of LR back in the 80's and 90's is totally different from the target market now. At least here in the US. Quite honestly, I think it's the US market that controlled the direction of this trend for most auto makers. The age of music videos and pop culture convincing the minds of people that it's cool to put 24s and various bling on purpose-built vehicles such as LRs. That's what's dictated the market.

I applaud Jeep for sticking to it's roots... check out this FC concept... it's not practical and it doesn't make sense but I think that's the whole point! :D

http://youtu.be/C8FQGWmxqio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
The target market of LR back in the 80's and 90's is totally different from the target market now. At least here in the US. Quite honestly, I think it's the US market that controlled the direction of this trend for most auto makers. The age of music videos and pop culture convincing the minds of people that it's cool to put 24s and various bling on purpose-built vehicles such as LRs. That's what's dictated the market.

I applaud Jeep for sticking to it's roots... check out this FC concept... it's not practical and it doesn't make sense but I think that's the whole point! :D

That thing is bad ass. I like how they kept the freedom top panels in the roof. I had one of the first 4 door jks on the road. It was not a bad truck at all for a daily. My wife is wanting another, and I will probably have one, simply because there is no other option offered. Did you hear that Land Rover?
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Read in one of the LR mags that it will be built in India and share a common platform with Tata's Aria SUV. (DC100 is on a Disco4 chassis).

Also read that it might not come to the states because it can't compete with Jeep.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post

I want one. That makes me want to sell the land rover, the mustang, the house and the dog, and just buy one of those.

I guess I'll keep the girl... she can come in handy from time to time :-)
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I remember in the early days of dweb and d-90, these portal axles were all the craze! I think there were a few discos and defenders here in the US with portal axles.

In the motortrend article about the Jeep FC, they indicated that those portal axles are available from the Mopar catalog for a measly $11,000 for the rear and $13,000 for the front!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
I am an LR guy all the way & have been since a kid, but i gotta say jeep is doing an excellent job right now creating & keeping the trend going of mall crawlers. Not to take away anything about the capabilities of a jeep, just that everyonr here on omaha has one with rims, lifts etc & the only off road the see is when it snows. Kinda reminds me of the trend a few years ago of SUV's with 22" rims.... Personally, i would like to see a real defender made with modern tech, kind of like icon does but obviously on a more reasonable scale. I hope when they do, the mall crawler fad is over. Imagine all the posers in new defenders "pimped out" for the street....
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I'm really surprised no one has yet to photoshop the LR concept defender as a Barbie and Ken Jeep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender