New Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:01 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

New Defender

I found these pics online. Could this be the look of the new Defender coming in 2018?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landie_7-L.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	102582   Click image for larger version

Name:	landie_6-L.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	102583  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Probably not. Whoever made those also did a 110, SW, etc. Wishful thinking but I expect we will be disappointed.
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I've not been excited with any of the new Defender concepts that I've ever seen, but I really like that. If that was available, I'd have to have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
it looks like a jerry can on wheels
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I will be driving my 94 D90 until the day I die so it does not matter much to me what the new one looks like. It might be Washington's ax by then, but it will still be the same truck.
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I love my D90--as everyone that knows me knows. I'd still take on of them... Is it Bronco-esque? Hell yeah--I've always wanted one of those, too. My family had a FJ40 and a VW thing growing up--all cool and badass in their way.

Still like the art student one. I actually like the new Jeep 4-door wrangler... can't help it, for a stock truck, it is badd ass. I just love cool cars/trucks/motorcycles--don't care by whom...
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:44 PM
angdefeo
Angelo DeFeo
none

I will decide if i like it in 25years......lol.
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Those have been around for a couple years.

Guessing what it'll look like is pretty useless.....especially so with recent events.
Old September 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
So today I had some beers with the guy that owns a local Land Rover dealership....he just came back from Solihul and spending time at corp for the unveiling of the new Defender. In his words...hold on to your hats!!! While the new D will come as a "tribute" look alike to the old one, paying the right amount of homage to the breed it will also suit the "mall moms" as well. Offering a variety of trim packages for all types. Not only 90's, pickups and 110's (or their equivalent) but in each model you can get trim kits from bare bones tractor to Chelsea Tractor with the equivalent Range Rover trim kit. AND a full blown Safri equipped 90 & 110 model too!!!!

He was supremely excited, as he is also a Defender fan...having thrown up on the old concept model.

Yes it will come with airbags, and meet all the safety etc....no, it is not expected that a diesel will be in the first release...but they are still open to trying to release one!

ALL GOOD NEWS - and no...cameras/phones were banned
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:34 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Personally, I'd prefer they let them die with dignity. The new Bronco is painful to look at IMO. Plastic bumpers and 22's is not in my view how we pay homage to a Defender. The new Defender owners will be gassing up and the guy next to him will say Hey cool Honda Pilot dude.

Clay
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
That is great news. We will see what makes it to the final production for our market. Let us hope that they offer something comparable in function to the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (locking differentials, dana 44 equivalent axles, sway bar disconnects, 4.10 rear end, 73.1:1 crawl ratio, manual transmission, 2" factory lift, 33-35" tires, and a removable top in either hard or soft form). Blasphemy in this corner, but it is about time that Land Rover produces something that is actually off road capable in NAS with a Rover twist.

I am a skeptic in regard to what the actual production model will be, but luckily, we have these old trucks to keep us and the nostalgia of LR going.
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:41 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

The new Defender has been pushed back to 2018 last I heard
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:30 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
My .02 Until the MOD has a standing order for military fitment, the new "whatever they want to call it" will NOT be a "DEFENDER!" Can I get an Amen?
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:14 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
The new Defender has been pushed back to 2018 last I heard
Yeah. The new Defender is like Doom4. It will always be in development and never released. LR will once again fail to get the vehicle out at a time when competitors are crushing the market. Jeep Unlimited and 4Runner who I would say are the primary competitors in the US dominate sales.

Are you kidding me? Nobody even takes the vehicles offroad they just want to look tough and feel tough. That's the way buyers think. That's why SUVs became so popular. Nobody wanted to look like just a mom or a lame family. They wanted to look and feel tough so everybody bought up SUVs and continues to do so. It's why we still can't admit that we are driving station wagons... they are crossovers.

Whoever the idiot was/is that decided to blend the RR image with the LR image in the US market needs to be fired and that line of thinking eliminated from their planning. RR could hold all the high dollar sales and LR could easily compete in the market. The reality is that there are not many options for "offroad" lifestyle vehicles. The Jeep and the Toyota. That is it. Nissan Xterra maybe... but they killed their Pathfinder. Their whole plan of sell few for higher has worked for them. In my opinion they could have continued that plan if they had not blended the two lines in the US and dipped into the Toyota/Jeep lower market bracket.

Bottom line is that they don't know how to build/design/market a vehicle for the US market that isn't uber luxury anymore and they haven't had one in the US in so long(S model 2004 Disco II) that I think the "date" will continue to push back. I'm done hoping and am going to replace my hope with an LC, LX, or GX.
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:55 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'm happy with all the plastic posers out there. I hate to think what the trails would look like if these trucks and their owners were willing and able to use them off road. The number of legal trails within my reach is shrinking so IMO there's no market for anything beyond a poser SUV.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender