Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
New Defender

How embarrassing. The new Defender resembles a Kia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2746597623.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	90200  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I see the new Defender like the new Jeep Cherokee. Using a name to add the 'lifestyle' element to an otherwise ordinary crossover/small SUV
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

It looks like a Kia because that picture is of a KIA Soul.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yes. I wasn't under the impression that yellow thing was a Defender. I was just posting how embarrassed Land Rover should be that it's new D will resemble a Kia.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I may have mentioned that my wife was never fond of my previous Defenders. Fond, should I say, despised. When I wanted to get one this round, she mentioned they may be making a new one. When I showed her the pics of the proposed ones. Immediately, without hesitation, she said, "get an old one, that hideous!"

Now we must consider that there are fewer 20 somethings here on the board. They are the target market, not us. Come on they drive those Scion things, the one that show the occupants as Hamsters, for Christ's sake! Land Rover couldn't build the Defender anymore, the EU Euronated on the design for safety considerations. So everything must look like a tennis shoe with wheels now.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:45 AM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
I may have mentioned that my wife was never fond of my previous Defenders. Fond, should I say, despised. When I wanted to get one this round, she mentioned they may be making a new one. When I showed her the pics of the proposed ones. Immediately, without hesitation, she said, "get an old one, that hideous!"

Now we must consider that there are fewer 20 somethings here on the board. They are the target market, not us. Come on they drive those Scion things, the one that show the occupants as Hamsters, for Christ's sake! Land Rover couldn't build the Defender anymore, the EU Euronated on the design for safety considerations. So everything must look like a tennis shoe with wheels now.
Being in my 20s I can confirm no one I know would be caught dead in that
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:46 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
They are the target market, not us. Come on they drive those Scion things, the one that show the occupants as Hamsters, for Christ's sake!
I'm offended by that
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:48 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Hamster ad and all, Yet you still bought one. Marketing guys are pretty sharp, aren't they.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:56 PM
toddw
Todd
Range Rover L405 Supercharged

Registry
Clay, not sure if you read this article. I read from Lucky 8's Facebook.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/next...in-the-us.html

In terms of its design, McGovern emphasized that it will not be a retro-looking Defender.

"We're not looking to replicate something that's 60 years old," McGovern said, referring to the styling of the current Defender that dates back to 1948. "I think people will be surprised when they see it."
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:03 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Never said I have one. I was talking about the target group and new defender. Ain't nobody want that
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post

Being in my 20s I can confirm no one I know would be caught dead in that
Same here...
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
"We will use different materials and colors for each line, so each one will have its own look and feel," McGovern said during a follow-up interview with Edmunds."

If you are a Director of Innovation and you highlight using different materials and colors for each product line as a major differentiator, you may wish to change fields to interior design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddw View Post
Clay, not sure if you read this article. I read from Lucky 8's Facebook.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/next...in-the-us.html

In terms of its design, McGovern emphasized that it will not be a retro-looking Defender.

"We're not looking to replicate something that's 60 years old," McGovern said, referring to the styling of the current Defender that dates back to 1948. "I think people will be surprised when they see it."
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Nobody has seen the new Defender...let's wait it out and see what they actually come up with. Enough renderings and DC100 photos!
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Land Rovers (same basic design has served us well for 66 years), designed by Maurice Wilks, aeronautical and automotive engineer
New "Defender", designed by Gerry McGovern, went to school for automotive design and has never done anything else since graduating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
"We will use different materials and colors for each line, so each one will have its own look and feel," McGovern said during a follow-up interview with Edmunds."

If you are a Director of Innovation and you highlight using different materials and colors for each product line as a major differentiator, you may wish to change fields to interior design.
He also says "The current Defender has never sold on its design...."
It sold precisely because of it's design.

To get in touch with Defender users he likes to walk around Bond Street because, "You can observe how high-end people shop—the clothes and jewelry they buy, the restaurants they go to."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...050955648.html
Maurice Wilks designed the Land Rover based on the observation of farmers and workmen, their needs and what features a working vehicle should have.
The new "Defender" will be based observing the wealthy and the jewelry they buy and how it should look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Nobody has seen the new Defender...let's wait it out and see what they actually come up with. Enough renderings and DC100 photos!
I'm confident the above quotes and information about Gerry McGovern give very strong clues about how it will look. The mere fact we're discussing looks tells us.

I bet versatility isn't even on the list of design considerations, or if it is, it's in the sense of this likely ad copy;
"The all new versatile Defender. Equally at home taking you shopping on Bond St or taking you to the ski slopes of the Alps.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddw View Post
Clay, not sure if you read this article. I read from Lucky 8's Facebook. http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/next...in-the-us.html In terms of its design, McGovern emphasized that it will not be a retro-looking Defender. "We're not looking to replicate something that's 60 years old," McGovern said, referring to the styling of the current Defender that dates back to 1948. "I think people will be surprised when they see it."
No I hadn't read this. Will do, thanks.

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:46 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

McGovern is out of touch with reality, thumbing his nose at heritage and the market. He looks like a god now, but wait till his lower end volume models sit stagnant on dealer lots.

Defenders didn't sell well because it didn't do anything well but look pretty and crawl over rough roads and didnt meet safety requirements which prevented its sale in the largest 4x4 market. Instead of capitalizing on at least the looks part, he claims no one likes or appreciates it and was one of the reasons it didn't sell well. Wow, how dense.

The mass market doesn't care what is under the hood as long as it is powerful enough for American highways. The mass market doesn't care if it has axles or independent arms. The only common denominator that the mass market would care about is the looks. Hell, Jeep is running an Italian engine and even their purists don't care. But if you were to mess with the round headlights, upright grill, removable top doors and cage, it would just turn into another CUV lost in the vast SUV market.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat