Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I find it hard to believe LR would kill the Defender based on more stringent safety, emissions, and fuel regs. Jeep has managed to keep up, and despite massive design changes still maintains a cult following and a capable off road vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
If Jeep can do it they can. They invented the Range Rover of course they can make this happen.
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
If they bring the 90 back to the US I would actually be very upset by it. I can pretty much guarantee we will be seeing them all over the place with 22" and low profile tires...look at the hummer.
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
If they bring the 90 back to the US I would actually be very upset by it. I can pretty much guarantee we will be seeing them all over the place with 22" and low profile tires...look at the hummer.
agreed. there are enough garage queens around here as it is. very sad.
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
If Jeep can do it they can. They invented the Range Rover of course they can make this happen.
Sure, but then what is the point of having a Defender when they already have the LR4? I know a lot of people like what Jeep did, I am not one of them. It certainly is a better road vehicle than it's predecessors, but is also a lot less rugged. I'd hate to see a Defender introduced that is just a pale imitation of what it was.
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

TATA bought them for the high end Range Rover exposure and line, they could care less about the Defender.
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:02 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
This could also be a good marketing ploy. See if they can get people fired up and then introduce the new model.
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I personally don't care if LRNA brings the Defender back to the US. In fact, I kind of hope they don't, although not for the lowrider potential. Federalizing vehicles is very expensive and if the cost of doing so outweighs the potential market in the US for defenders (which, let's face it, isn't that large) then there's a real chance it would hurt the company itself and that's no good for defenders at all.

I just hope they can keep refreshing the line so that new parts can make it through the parts vendors and recyclers.

Keeping the Defender competitive with the Jeep Wrangler might help. Stock lockers front and rear would help cement its offroading superiority. I personally don't see how much of anything else in the Defender is far behind the most recent Wrangler, except for perhaps the AC system and road noise.

Wasn't the Defender supposed to have been the Ford F150 of Britain? In the US they sell zillions of F150's a year, mostly because it's cheap and practical. Why not keep marketing it that way?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
F150 of Britain ?

Not in a million years ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
The 2nd most common remark people make when accosting me about my truck is "Now that's one of the REAL Land Rovers isn't it?" People know.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/l...-in-frankfurt/
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

My thoughts are that they will kill off the Defender for the European market and it will be shifted back to a military style vehicle made in other parts of the world where regulations as not so tough (made cheaper and made in locations where it can be made cheaper (not in the UK)). The Defender is largely hand built and its sales numbers are low, so it makes no financial sense to keep it. Add to that LRNA has started making moves to make brand changes to move things even more upscale (Range Rover vs. Land Rover) and I think LRNA has no desire to see a Defender in their line up, it goes against all the market work they have done in the last year.

Just my .02
I've been wrong before.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I hope they do bring it to the US. My LR3 is getting up there in mileage and I wouldn't mind another "Newer Rover." We had had 3 Discoverys and two LR3s over the years. If it is a toned down model based off the original I would be a happy in it as a daily driver. If they make it with some real off road ability I will be extremely enthused.
I'll keep my 94 defender what ever happens!
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This should get interesting. I think if they did bring a completely new Defender into the US to compete with Jeep, it's novelty would have people tripping over themselves if it was at least as rugged as the TJ.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This should get interesting. I think if they did bring a completely new Defender into the US to compete with Jeep, it's novelty would have people tripping over themselves if it was at least as rugged as the TJ.
?????
What changed since 1994 in the US buyers minds?

In 1994 the D90 was cool, but it was about twice the price of a Jeep and it sold in stupidly low numbers while Jeep sales kept plugging right along. Why would Americas (not Rover fans) buy a more costly Jeep now? Jeep now offers 2 and 4 door models and all.

I love Rovers, but when you talk sales figures, not Rover fan base desires the Defender is a terrible US market idea. I hope we get something, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Totally agree, a Defender does nothing for LRNA except costing a fortune. Plus look at the changes in both the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota FJ. Definately not a move to a ulilitarian off road vehicle. Also, as Mike pointed out, the pricing issue, especially with the Wrangler.
What is a shame in my opinion is that there is a big void in the commercial truck market that could be filled by a Defender as in Europe. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening given DOT, EPA requirements and fuel prices.
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I love the new looks of this truck. Looks comfy and somewhat quieter than my 97'. I for one only hope they bring it back with a solid axle design. There have been lots of rumors that the new truck would be based on the LR2/Freelander2/Evoque platform. If they bring it over with independent wheels, unless it has crazy articulation, I will not buy it. But, if they can take what they already have designed, put the solid axles in with the a diesel engine. I will be one of the first to line up for it. But, to be honest, I just don't see Tata wanting to spend a cool billion of development of a truck with such low numbers to sell. We as Landy Lovers would love to see a great platform come back over. But we are such a small segment of buyers. They need the garage-queen, post-hummer-owner, soccer-mom, the-worst-place-I-go-is the-mall, I-look-badass-in-this-because-I-am-a-compensating-douche, whats-wrong-with-22's potential owners to boost sales figures to make money on the platform.

Now that I think about it, don't bring it back. I don't have the heart to see the Icon of the brand tarnished and diminished in anyway. We own the Icon of the remote world. Lets keep it that way!
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I guess I am of the opposing view. The overdone bulge-out headlight finisher treatment and the blackout hood just doesn't do it for me. Looks a bit gimmicky.
(Not so much though, that if given the opportunity to own one I would pass on it, however...)
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

2c

I am building one right now and like mike said it is labor intensive. On the flip side you can see were they could weld parts together such as the seat box to the tub including the floors which would cut down on labor in addition to making a simpler bulkhead design whereas plastic makes up the curvature of the cockpit rather than having to form metal for footwells. I think there is a lot of room for automating the build process, I just hope that they don't loose the ladder frame for some type of POS unibody design. Besides steel is cheaper the aluminum so I can't see what TaTa would not go for this type of architecture. if you keep the frame and solid axles the same they could use it still for military or civilian use. Of course you will need the airbags, abs, traction control which would drive the price up but I still think it could be competitively priced against a jeep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender