Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Of course you will need the airbags, abs, traction control which would drive the price up but I still think it could be competitively priced against a jeep.
Like 60k vs 25k?

I know this is primarily a Defender forum, but I think everyone knows the Defender is just an evoultion of the Series truck. Essentially it's a simple basic, no frills vehicle ( some say it's a farm tractor that can go on the road) as opposed to the current crop of SUVs which are designed primarily for comfort and road travel. So it's no surprise that most of those attracted to the Series and Defender trucks are not the typical SUV owner. It's also not suprising that many owners are serious about doing their own repairs and modifications ( just look at Neill's recent Alaska adventure). So why in earth would anyone want a plastic pastiche of a legendery vehicle? Why transform a vehicle known for rugged simplicity into just another SUV for the sake of buyers who don't even know why they have an SUV in the first place? It would be a sad end to a legend if it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

IMO, I think new models, "properly" executed, seem to drive excitement and vehicle value for the original models they are based off. I'm thinking domestics like Camaro, Challenger, and imports like Land Cruiser, Mini. Rovers will never have the sales volume that Toyota has (thank God), but I think the excitement created by a new Defender model, again properly executed, would outweigh the negatives. More vendors, more products, higher vehicle values, etc. Look how crazy the aftermarket has gone after vintage muscle cars.

LRNA has and will have quite a few road warriors in their lineup. Slot a $40K base Defender with the ability to add factory off road goodies and accessories (think Mini); it might work for both the consumer and the corporate coffers. If Tata made a Defender for the world market that met the Euro regs, I don't assume it would take a ton of work and money to get it certified for the US... the Germans are making significant strides in the TDI market here. I think it would also drive excitement for the rest of the Rover brand.
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Of course you will need the airbags, abs, traction control which would drive the price up but I still think it could be competitively priced against a jeep.
Even a 3 door Toyota Yaris comes with Airbags and ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/13/l...r-next-decade/
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
To pile on to Barry's post....

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/l...-in-frankfurt/

So we may only have to wait a month before we see what "Project Icon" has produced. I hope to god it's not a leather bound G-wagen wannabe with no ruggedness left.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Jim C is located in Frankfurt, maybe he will go spy on it and take a bunch of pics for us
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Look at the 2012 Range Rover to see where the LR stylists are heading with the Defender based on a Disco chassis.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender