Old April 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
New Defender

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...fender/239628/

Honestly, I think that a re-do in the vein of the new Jeep Wrangler would be acceptable. In considering what would really be possible given today's legislation, I just don't believe we'll see something along the lines of the erector set we know and love. I would however, rather see the Defender continue in some modernized form instead of just becoming extinct. I also think Land Rover could, if clever enough, produce a vehicle which would continue to satisfy some militaries, just as the new Jeep is used by Egypt and some other.

Fortunately, it looks like we'll have a few more years of production to pillage parts from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
At least they are keeping the dream alive!
I think they could sell 20,000 additional units in the US if the price is right.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
they could sell 20k units even if the price wasnt right. look at what people are paying for shit ROW imports and 110's
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Oh is this going to turn into another "They are bringing the Defender back to the US" thread!!!
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

That debate is about the current defender which will never come back over.

With this new redesign it's near a definite chance that it will be designed with the US market in mind. Especially if they want to increase their volume. We're probably one of the only markets they aren't in at the moment. North America.
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah, about 1/2 what they are paying for even worse NAS trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
they could sell 20k units even if the price wasnt right. look at what people are paying for shit ROW imports and 110's
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
That debate is about the current defender which will never come back over.

With this new redesign it's near a definite chance that it will be designed with the US market in mind. Especially if they want to increase their volume. We're probably one of the only markets they aren't in at the moment. North America.
i agree it shouldnt be rocket science to "figure out who the new buyers will be" Personally I think their redesign of the RRC was one of the best ever. Lets hope they do as well with the Defender.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
i agree it shouldnt be rocket science to "figure out who the new buyers will be" Personally I think their redesign of the RRC was one of the best ever. Lets hope they do as well with the Defender.
In terms of what?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Panerai_Pete
SW. Snow
1996 Disco XD

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/5932.aspx

Actually this is a pretty good article, but I think the comments that the europeans make are even more interesting!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/5932.aspx

I am not sure if anyone read the posts that followed the article? Obviously it was from a bunch of brits and their main complaints were that LR's were just basically that too expensive and not a viable machines. It is interesting when you read the articles from the States and from England?

It seems that the being are more concerned that the vehicle will be lighter, and more reliable. A qute from one guy says For example: "Land Rover just seems unable to produce anything but overweight, overpriced, 'premium' products. If it was my business, and I wanted to double the sales volume for the Defender, I'd lower the price, and make it more reliable. Only then will it compete with other vehicles bought primarily as workhorses..."

However when it comes to us in the States we are more concerned to see if the Defenders will even arrive here, and will they remain what they have been in the past with some level of integrity? As "Collectors" we are more concerned with getting our hands on them rather then the weight or the consensus as to whether it is a "Premium" vehicle? Sure, there is an element of the elitism that makes us smile, but when the dust settles we really don't care, IMHO the vast majority of us just want or hands on one or at least the chance to get our hands on one of these elusive vehicles.

So what really is going to dictate how and what Land Rover is going to do? Well likely a bit of both, but more likely the advantage will go to what the europeans say about what they want on the rides?

I want one like everyone here, and I believe that LR can make us happy, ie..the collectors and still keep the price reasonable, but once again IMHO, they still need to make a Kick Ass vehicle because otherwise what fun would it be? And to be honest, I really do not see myself going out and buying a Jeep just because the price is right? If that was the case, I would have had one years ago! I like the Land Rover and I will keep buying the Land Rovers, until they all endup looking like something I really do not want anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender